The VillaTalk Good Pub Guide

Xela

The new owners have been revealed as as a company called ATE Farms Ltd. Sole Director is Carly Taylor. Her husband is apparently a shareholder of Himley Environmental Ltd, the landfill site next to the pub, and I believe they share an access road? 

Clearly they would have had access to the earth moving equipment to block the road and then tear down the pub once the Police had left.

8 hours ago, Xann said:

The pub demolition made the national news.

Likely a tad more outrage than the perpetrators banked on?

I reckon so. Third most read story on The BBC site this morning. 

11 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'm still angry about this. I know its only a building, but the brass neck of the people that did it astonishes me. 

I hope someone bulldozes their big house in the country. 

They should be careful because their home address is shown on companies house. I'd be worried if I was them. 

Last night I visited (amongst others) The Ale Hub and The Shaking Hand micro pubs in Shirley. 

Both had good selections of Cask Ale. 

Makes me wonder about these micro pubs. They've obviously found a sweet spot for rent v turnover in those small shop sized units. 

Had to tell off the barman at The Woodmans Rest as they had 3 dark beers on, well 4 really but one was off. They had London Pride, Doom Bar and......... Eugh..... Wainwright's Amber Beer.    What an abomination.. Wainwright is a perfect golden ale. Why the **** make an amber version? 

Actual Wainwright's would have filled the gap in their beer line-up nicely. 

It's a small thing but it's well known that pubs are struggling.  There are a multitude of things that make a "bad" pub, but at least give yourself a fighting chance by putting a bit of consideration into your beer range. 

I may have decided to stay there a bit longer and had a couple more beers if they had something a bit lighter.  Especially in the Summer. I know for a fact that if I was with a different group of friends we would have turned around and gone back to The Ale hub for some more Butty Bach. 

• Like 1

Quelle surprise

A fire which ripped through a landmark pub days before it was unexpectedly demolished is being treated as arson, police say.

The Crooked House, near Dudley in the Black Country, caught fire on Saturday night and was then bulldozed on Monday, prompting anger from local residents.

The pub, once Britain's "wonkiest", was sold by Marston's last month.

Staffordshire Police said on Wednesday investigations were continuing but the blaze was being treated as suspicious

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-65141057

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

They need to look at that landfill site forensically and throw the book at them for every broken rule.  I bet they've got holes in all sorts of areas with permits and paperwork. I've dealt with landfill people before and they're generally complete words removed.

Edited by sidcow

The police have some questions to answer now. How have they allowed someone to go in and flatten the building in the middle of their investigation that's now confirmed to be arson?

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I'm still angry about this. I know its only a building, but the brass neck of the people that did it astonishes me. 

I hope someone bulldozes their big house in the country. 

It's a travesty. I have many a great night there with my cousins in my late teens early 20's. 

They are scumbags who did this and seems pretty obvious it was all planned.

• Like 2

On 06/08/2023 at 10:07, Xela said:

It'll come down by hook or crook. The Dudley Hippodrome is being pulled down, sanctioned by the council. Same era I believe.

Bloody hell. My teenage years being destroyed. I remember getting in to see my 1st ever "15" rated movie as a 12&1/2 year old at the Hippodrome. It was a very proud moment in my development.

"Over the Top" with Stallone as I recall. Little did I know truckers are actually all meth heads.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Bloody hell. My teenage years being destroyed. I remember getting in to see my 1st ever "15" rated movie as a 12&1/2 year old at the Hippodrome. It was a very proud moment in my development.

"Over the Top" with Stallone as I recall. Little did I know truckers are actually all meth heads.

I’ve great memories of the place as grew up in Dudley and Gornal area. Watching Empire Strikes Back and wondering why there was an interval for the choc ice lady. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ferguson1 said:

I’ve great memories of the place as grew up in Dudley and Gornal area. Watching Empire Strikes Back and wondering why there was an interval for the choc ice lady. 

Why does no one buy choc ices anymore? 

14 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

I can still remember the scene in Return of the Jedi where they paused the film for the lady to come down the isle with choc-ices :D

What a weird but beautiful throwback thing that was.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I can still remember the scene in Return of the Jedi where they paused the film for the lady to come down the isle with choc-ices :D

What a weird but beautiful throwback thing that was.

Funny wasn’t it. Didn’t they also show mini tv shows or cartoons before the main feature? Like Flash Gordon or Zorro? I could be wrong on this though. 

Oh dear. The Daily Heil has got photos of the woman who bought The Crooked House and decided she's a hottie.  Photos of her in a very revealing bikini. 

I don't think this sort of shit was in their reckoning. 

The story would have died the day after the fire but the unscheduled demolition has sent it off the scale. 

The irony is if the pub was somehow open and this publicity was for a different reason, it would be rammed now. 

57 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Funny wasn’t it. Didn’t they also show mini tv shows or cartoons before the main feature? Like Flash Gordon or Zorro? I could be wrong on this though. 

I definitely heard of that but it was a bit before my time! 

Although they a cartoon before some kids movies. I remember being more into Woody Woodpecker than ET.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Visiting brum soon. Help me plan a night out please. 3 lads in their 30s but might as well be in their late 50s, none single, like a drink, will have just come from the footie, won’t want any form of dancing or loud music, want a nice meal before pints and a late one in a relatively lively setting. Live music would be a bonus. A DJ playing Mr Brightside will result in a very fast escape from the midlands. 

Â