The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Much chatter (unattributed) about letters going in :crylaugh:

The Express seems to think that Bravermans Common Sense Group and Kruger / Cates New Conservative Group have 60 members between them. It's hard to tell as some MPs are members of both (Kruger and Lee Anderson definitely)  and other members aren't declared

350 Tory MPs mean that 15% = 53 letters to trigger a leadership election

Its possible they may have the numbers. The Guardian at one point thought that CSG had 59 members

Classic naming from the total headbangers.

Much like the European Research Group who have yet to publish a single piece of research on Europe or otherwise.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bickster said:

Next couple of weeks polling could provide record making mirth

I'm prepared to look silly, but I reckon he might see a bit of a jump. Nothing spectacular obviously. But I think a few "Tories + 3" here and there.

Just now, ml1dch said:

I'm prepared to look silly, but I reckon he might see a bit of a jump. Nothing spectacular obviously. But I think a few "Tories + 3" here and there.

I'm not convinced there are many mid ground votes for them to win any more, they certainly won't be shifting the Reform voters after today.

• Like 1

This constant “she speaks for so many people in this country” line on Suella said by sympathetic commentators.

What’s “so many”? Is there any indication as to what number or percentage of the population she speaks for or is it just a case of we keep saying it again and again and maybe a few people will accept it as fact without any further clarification?

I found the express article on MSN so as to not pollute your devices.

Some classic quotes (unattributed) in here

[...]"Some colleagues will be understandably nervous about having yet another leadership contest but it is clear now that the choice is to change leader and Prime Minister or face electoral annihilation."

The MP said that the initial part of the major reshuffle had "created a feeling of complete despair".

The backbencher added: "It is clear now that the Prime Minister wants to destroy the right of the party and we have to retaliate."[...]

[...]"That's the man who fought tooth and nail to stop us leaving the European Union in the referendum, now he is Foreign Secretary."[...]

[...]"The mood music is clear and the direction of the government now is one which will only leave us to electoral defeat."[...]

[...]"Sunak has committed political suicide."[...]

[...]"Time for letters to go in. Let's see what mess is made of the reshuffle too."[...]

[...]"I'm furious. He [Sunak] is no politician. He doesn't understand that the Tory faithful are pretty much only faithful because of Suella."[...]

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

This constant “she speaks for so many people in this country” line on Suella said by sympathetic commentators.

What’s “so many”?

Nearly several

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Would they really entertain another leadership contest so close to a GE (they’ll almost certainly lose massively)?

Why not just get it over with, call the general election, lose, then try and get back in in 5 years time rather than 6.

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

Why not just get it over with, call the general election, lose, then try and get back in in 5 years time rather than 6.

Because Sunak knows that his time is up when he loses. And a bit like Brown in 2010, he'd rather squeeze another 6-9 months out of being Prime Minister.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Genie said:

There’s an awful lot of baby eaters going to be unemployed and not earning their generous wages and expenses. They’ll be very cross if they lose that a year earlier than necessary. Plus, hanging on in quiet desperation is always the way.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Genie said:

£87,000 PA basic salary for the quietest back bencher doing nothing, expenses to employ ‘staff’, and an extra £2,200 pa pension for every extra 12 months you serve.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

£87,000 PA basic salary for the quietest back bencher doing nothing, expenses to employ ‘staff’, and an extra £2,200 pa pension for every extra 12 months you serve.

I was thinking more so from Sunak’s point of view. The salary is less of a factor for him but I guess he needs the backing of the MP’s to call a snap election. 

Â