The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I've been reading the Labour Party thread though and they seem to be pretty much the same so I'm voting Tory next election.  They're basically the same anyway.

Me too, it'll be a protest vote

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, blandy said:

Yeah. Though removing the cap will make some, highly paid already, bankers better off. Which is a terrible look when everyone else is struggling with high prices and so on. 

Suspect it makes little difference. Banks will all report billions of profit this year. Those people were getting paid In dividends, share options, employed by international arms of the same companies. 

It's a bad look and I'm sure will get air time. Pointlessly

• Like 1

So  after sunak gets obliterated at next election he will obviously be removed as it will be one of the worst tory results in years who is next?

Im going to say mordaunt or gove. Both wont last longer than one term. I reckon it will be either 3 or 4 different tory leaders until they come back in

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

So  after sunak gets obliterated at next election he will obviously be removed as it will be one of the worst tory results in years who is next?

Im going to say mordaunt or gove. Both wont last longer than one term. I reckon it will be either 3 or 4 different tory leaders until they come back in

It'll be Braverman on an anti-immigration push, and the idea that the reason they lost is they weren't right wing enough 

I guess it would depend on who’s left standing and who’s also left standing to support them to get the job. 

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised to see Johnson or Truss try and come back again. Although Johnson probably wouldn’t want to do the legwork in opposition would be my main reason for him not coming back, rather than the tories not wanting him back.

32 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised to see Johnson or Truss try and come back again. Although Johnson probably wouldn’t want to do the legwork in opposition would be my main reason for him not coming back, rather than the tories not wanting him back.

I think Johnson is more likely to try and join the Labour Party. And I'm not even joking. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I'd say the bigger reason is that he's not an MP.

And given it would be (a) difficult for him to become one again without the blessing of the leader and (b) obvious that if he tried to become one it would with the intention of usurping the leader, it'll be a while before he's back.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I'd say the bigger reason is that he's not an MP.

And given it would be (a) difficult for him to become one again without the blessing of the leader and (b) obvious that if he tried to become one it would with the intention of usurping the leader, it'll be a while before he's back.

I’ll amend it just Truss then.

1 hour ago, Mozzavfc said:

It'll be Braverman on an anti-immigration push, and the idea that the reason they lost is they weren't right wing enough 

Crazy if they double down in the madness that has taken them to the obliteration. They really don’t have anywhere else to go though.

48 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I think Johnson is more likely to try and join the Labour Party. And I'm not even joking. 

I think he will get in bed with farage if he wants to come back and try form another party.

1 hour ago, Mozzavfc said:

I think braverman would be one of the few mps that would do worse than sunak will in election

42 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I’ll amend it just Truss then.

Definitely wouldn't rule it out. However, the winner will almost certainly be whichever candidate the right of the party coalesces around, as that is who the members will vote for. I think that those MPs will think "we did this Truss thing already, let's try something different"

Braverman is then the obvious choice, but I wouldn't completely rule out her being the 2024 Portillo moment.

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

How many more by-elections before they're a minority party anyway? 😂

It’s actually starting to look tactical, can’t lose a record number of seats in a GE if you lost them all before the election!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Definitely wouldn't rule it out. However, the winner will almost certainly be whichever candidate the right of the party coalesces around, as that is who the members will vote for. I think that those MPs will think "we did this Truss thing already, let's try something different"

Braverman is then the obvious choice, but I wouldn't completely rule out her being the 2024 Portillo moment.

My suspicion (based on gut feeling more than anything) is Truss would be unsuccessful in trying to return. But I think she would try. And I think Johnson would make some noise about mandates or whatever and then realise the practicalities of coming back would be tricky.

My feeling on Braverman is that while she is appealing to the throbbers and probably the obvious candidate, on some level a few will know deep down she’s too unpopular to win over the public at large. 

I wonder about someone like Tobias Ellwood. But then I never really see his name mentioned with the leadership so I guess there’s a reason for that.

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Penny, penny. Penny. Penny. Penny. Penny.Please Penny @rjw63 Will understand 

• Haha 1

Â