The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

I tend to believe that a significant portion of the country will just vote Tory again. Sunak is just banking on Labour not being a good enough tribute act to nick votes and people still feeling burnt enough by Iraq and 2008, and the looming ghost of Corbyn.

It ain't a bad bet.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Sunak is just banking on Labour not being a good enough tribute act to nick votes

Tactically, I don't think that's how it is. I think they're far from "banking" on it, but I do think you're right that they'll try and make the election all about fear and very negative campaigning - I mean they've next to nothing to positively campaign on, so what else can they do? I also think that deep down lots of Tory MPs know they're toast and will quite likely not even try that hard to get re-elected in their constituencies.

But I also think people have got wiser in terms of tactical voting. There absolutely is a genuine desire from the majority of people to get the Tories out and I think plenty will vote tactically do get that to happen.

5 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I tend to believe that a significant portion of the country will just vote Tory again. Sunak is just banking on Labour not being a good enough tribute act to nick votes and people still feeling burnt enough by Iraq and 2008, and the looming ghost of Corbyn.

It ain't a bad bet.

I agree.

I was never that bothered about Brexit as it seemed such common sense to stay in, I voted to stay and was very surprised by how dissappointed I felt when the news came.

The Tories have been in the pits for about 8 years now, atleast Cameron and Osbourne had the illusion of competent politicians and im just glad austerity along with brexit has started to come home to roost during their successors, but the damage it has caused may not be reversible, it seems such common sense to get them gone.

I having a feeling I will have that dissapointment again when this lot stay. 

I think their plan is to tank the economy over the next 6-9 months under the guise of getting inflation under control. Then they’ll light a fire by cutting interest rates, vat, tax, business rates to get the economy red hot. Then they will spend the months running up to the GE talking about fastest growing economy in the world/G7/Europe etc (because it’s starting from by far the lowest point).

30 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think their plan is to tank the economy over the next 6-9 months under the guise of getting inflation under control. Then they’ll light a fire by cutting interest rates

No. They don't control interest rates, the BoE independently does that. They already tanked the economy (twice).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, blandy said:

No. They don't control interest rates, the BoE independently does that. They already tanked the economy (twice).

Yeah, but they were accidental :lol: 

The next one will be by design, and they’ll pressurise the BoE to act in a way that suits their agenda (in conjunction with a load of measures they can directly implement)

49 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think their plan is to tank the economy over the next 6-9 months

Scorched earth policy. Deliberately make things as difficult as possible for Labour. 

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Scorched earth policy. Deliberately make things as difficult as possible for Labour. 

That would be too easy for Labour to pump the economy. I think the Tories only hope is to claim this “fastest growing” title on the run up to the election.

19 minutes ago, Genie said:

The next one will be by design, and they’ll pressurise the BoE to act in a way that suits their agenda (in conjunction with a load of measures they can directly implement)

14 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

No, again. Their agenda is (unlikely as it might seem) to get re-elected, or at least to make any defeat as small as possible. Tanking the economy (further) in a run up to an election works against that.

As the BoE controls interest rates, the tools Government has to control inflation (leaving aside the madness of Truss and Kwarteng) are all pretty much things that go against the Tory grain - stuff like price caps, rent controls, energy subsidies, windfall taxes on excess profits and all those kind of sane things. But they won't do any of that, because, well, they're tories and eat babies. But they also won't do things to deliberately and actively hurt the economy (though being them, they may accidentally do something utterly daft). Sunak, when they had their umpty-fifth leader election thing spelled out in simple terms to Truss that if she did what she said she'd do, she'd tank the economy. He was, of course right. She was very wrong, but still did it anyway. Point being that kind of madness is absolutely against Sunak's orthodoxy. He's a bean counter. He counts money. Doesn't give a hoot about people, true, but he's not going to deliberately sabotage the economy to make Labour look bad for not being able to sort out some inherited mess. They'll struggle anyway to fix things, such is the disaster that the tories have been and inflicted on us.

Where I do agree, to an extent, is the possibility that the tories will do something particularly spiteful in the immediate time right before the election, where it is kind of laying a landmine for Labour/whoever to step on afte they've taken over.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, blandy said:

No, again. Their agenda is (unlikely as it might seem) to get re-elected, or at least to make any defeat as small as possible. Tanking the economy (further) in a run up to an election works against that.

As the BoE controls interest rates, the tools Government has to control inflation (leaving aside the madness of Truss and Kwarteng) are all pretty much things that go against the Tory grain - stuff like price caps, rent controls, energy subsidies, windfall taxes on excess profits and all those kind of sane things. But they won't do any of that, because, well, they're tories and eat babies. But they also won't do things to deliberately and actively hurt the economy (though being them, they may accidentally do something utterly daft). Sunak, when they had their umpty-fifth leader election thing spelled out in simple terms to Truss that if she did what she said she'd do, she'd tank the economy. He was, of course right. She was very wrong, but still did it anyway. Point being that kind of madness is absolutely against Sunak's orthodoxy. He's a bean counter. He counts money. Doesn't give a hoot about people, true, but he's not going to deliberately sabotage the economy to make Labour look bad for not being able to sort out some inherited mess. They'll struggle anyway to fix things, such is the disaster that the tories have been and inflicted on us.

Where I do agree, to an extent, is the possibility that the tories will do something particularly spiteful in the immediate time right before the election, where it is kind of laying a landmine for Labour/whoever to step on afte they've taken over.

Pretty much the opposite of my view 🙂 

I think they’ll blow the economy so they can boost it later. Get it nice and broken and then a surge in growth looks amazing. They have plenty of levers to pull like income tax, vat, business rates, corporation tax to make it look like they have saved the day against the backdrop of problems all countries had (Covid, War, Inflation, Br*xit).

BoE and government are very closely connected, officially independent the BoE could be encouraged to work with the government within limits.

I'm sticking with scorched earth. 

The Tories know they're toast. They won't have time before the next GE to do more damage and then convincingly half-fix it. 

They'll be playing the long game now, hoping they can repair their broken party during the Labour administration, and mount a convincing challenge next time round. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I kind of imagined the ‘home’ of the Prime Minister might have some level of security.

Even if it was just to stop Mad Nads shitting on the welcome mat.

Not possible. She can fling it 40 yards when she gets those arms wheeling. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Genie said:

Pretty much the opposite of my view 🙂 

I think they’ll blow the economy so they can boost it later. Get it nice and broken and then a surge in growth looks amazing.

You're approaching this from the unfortunate position of "knowing stuff" and applying it to the electorate. 

Normal people don't talk political strategy on the internet.  Normal people vote (if they bother) on whether they think things are "alright or shit".

The reason Sunak and Hunt won't do what you say is that they know that for the few percent of people who hear "60% rise in the economy that our policies have created" on the radio there are millions more who saw their mortgage increase by £300 or can't afford to buy butter anymore.

A surge in growth doesn't look amazing when you're at the bottom of the hole that the growth is growing out of.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 1

BBC are questioning how Sunak home was targeted when we've already had security questions over MP's in the past. 

Police funding cuts I would think. 

• Like 1

I'm very amused by the reaction to Sunak's home being targeted as a direct reaction to his policies.

"Stop disrupting infrastructure and normal people's lives, target the rich and powerful instead".

"...Not like that".

• Like 2

Â