The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

The whole table banging thing makes me want to throw up. You are not in private school any more chaps. 

I wonder if Mordor was anywhere near the 100. When her backers said it was close to the wire I just assumed they were miles off.

I can't really warm to Sunak given he was pro leave and at heart a classic cut tax and services tory. But at least he is vaguely competent and not a complete liar so that is a improvement.

Members shouldn’t pick party leaders. They get to choose Parliamentary candidates already. Let MPs pick their leader in Parliament and let the electorate  choose MPs in general elections. Party members are weirdo niche cults who demand too much say in things that have nothing to do with them.

Party member “democracy” has resulted in loads of leaders who weren’t the preferred choice of their own MPs (Iain Duncan Smith, Ed Miliband, Tim Farron, Jeremy Corbyn, Liz Truss) and all underperformed as a consequence.

Graham Brady did the right thing here, and as much as it looks like a stitch up, Sunak won his seat as an MP fair and square, his party won its Parliamentary majority fair and square. This is all constitutionally sound.

At some point in the next 2ish years he’ll have to face the public. Delusional Boris worshipping Tory members can go and **** themselves.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

**** sake how can we be taken seriously when our PM is shorter than Tommy Elphick

I'm flabbergasted - if you'd have asked me yesterday I'd have guessed at Sunak being about 6' 1".

Johnson's only 5' 9". Are the Tories the party of rich, angry midgets?

Just now, NurembergVillan said:

I'm flabbergasted - if you'd have asked me yesterday I'd have guessed at Sunak being about 6' 1".

cover_desktop_a-tall-story.jpg

gm-9a5d67d7-0b00-47c6-9851-1397abb07c0e-

EdUN1t8WkAI0fHY.jpg:large#

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Members shouldn’t pick party leaders.

Someone should tell all the other Parties that.

I don't see how you can have a Democratic Party without all the elements of that party having a say in a leadership contest. The Tories used to be the outlier in that they didn't. Before 1965 they didn't even have a vote amongst MPs

Having a leader elected solely by MPs is not a good look in a modern democracy

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

He was in the TA you know... (Tiny Army)

FB_fyKyX0AcZ3BI?format=jpg&name=small

• Haha 1

it's consistent with how the system works though, even if it is need of change. We send representatives to parliament. Much rather have MPs decide it ( if we can't have a general election ) than some tiny bunch of throbbers, a mere fraction of one part of one party. 

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

I don't see how you can have a Democratic Party without all the elements of that party having a say in a leadership contest. The Tories used to be the outlier in that they didn't. Before 1965 they didn't even have a vote amongst MPs

It is if the membership is stuck in the 1950's,  is called gerald and lives in Surrey.

Open primaries could work.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Just now, The Fun Factory said:

It is if the membership is stuck in the 1950's,  is called gerald and lives in Surrey.

On principal, this is entirely incorrect. 

I honestly thought the Tories would be wise enough to nominate Mordaunt just to have a contest to put to the membership.

Now they have their own members backs up for being cut out of the decision making and those members have a legitimate point. It will be hard to motivate the troops at the next General Election to get out and do the grunt work

It is incredibly bad politics, they'll get attacked, internally and externally for this 

Angela Rayner has already chimed in with the fact that the PM wasn't even elected by his own party, let alone the country

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

On principal, this is entirely incorrect. 

I honestly thought the Tories would be wise enough to nominate Mordaunt just to have a contest to put to the membership.

Now they have their own members backs up for being cut out of the decision making and those members have a legitimate point. It will be hard to motivate the troops at the next General Election to get out and do the grunt work

It is incredibly bad politics, they'll get attacked, internally and externally for this 

Angela Rayner has already chimed in with the fact that the PM wasn't even elected by his own party, let alone the country

Or they have move on from this rabid brexiting mess that they currently are and become the sensible party of government in order to reverse their terminal decline in party membership? You used to see loads of conservative clubs across the country but loads have gone. I don't think they that were that political just more of a social thing.

Large donors is the only thing keeping them going.

Edited by The Fun Factory

22 minutes ago, bickster said:

I think all the parties are wrong, and Labour used to have a better system that didn’t really give the members the final say. In other countries (eg Australia) members often have little involvement in picking leaders.

I don’t think there’s any definition of representative parliamentary democracy that hinges on party members picking their leaders. So long as you have MPs elected in free and fair elections, forming parties in parliament, there’s no need for the members to have the final say on who the leader is.

The problem with choosing leaders who aren’t wanted by their own parties’ MPs is they just get undermined by their colleagues and you waste months / years waiting for the next leader. It’s always a complete shambles.

5 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

The funny thing about Sunak is that because he's so skinny, he actually looks like a 6-foot-plus man who has been shrunk down using CGI

Agreed. I bet he buys his suits from the kids section

Â