The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

This is very, very mad, especially for Services/IT.

Just more Brexit created bureaucracy. My business is GDPR compliant world wide (because EU law is the standard). We will continue to use GDPR. The Tories can have whatever extra red tape it wants, international tech companies will just ignore it (or stop selling into the UK if pushed). Good luck trying to enforce the latest "its like the EU but worse and more complex" rules the tories are throwing at the wall. 

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think in fairness GDPR was well intentioned but badly conceived. Nobody has actually benefited from all these endless cookie pop ups… half of them are designed so you click on the wrong thing, and it seems impossible to enforce.

The scope of personal data in GDPR is insane - technically limits all kinds of legitimate B2B uses of data which don’t really interfere with anyone’s privacy.

And the really annoying things like spam calls, spoofing, identity scams, etc have all got worse.

The solution isn’t Brexit and our own system though. It’s being members of the EU and instigating change in a harmonised way across the EU. Oh well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Just more Brexit created bureaucracy. My business is GDPR compliant world wide (because EU law is the standard). We will continue to use GDPR. The Tories can have whatever extra red tape it wants, international tech companies will just ignore it (or stop selling into the UK if pushed). Good luck trying to enforce the latest "its like the EU but worse and more complex" rules the tories are throwing at the wall. 

Agreed. The only real impact I see is a reduction of hosting any data in the UK. It is an insensitive not to work here. If you are an international company it is a big insensitive not to be based here. UK data will have to be separated from the rest of the EU and treated differently. This is just effort and therefore cost. It just further isolates us from the rest of the world. The idea is dumb, but from the world of Brexit it is what I have come to expect.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I think in fairness GDPR was well intentioned but badly conceived. Nobody has actually benefited from all these endless cookie pop ups… half of them are designed so you click on the wrong thing, and it seems impossible to enforce.

The scope of personal data in GDPR is insane - technically limits all kinds of legitimate B2B uses of data which don’t really interfere with anyone’s privacy.

And the really annoying things like spam calls, spoofing, identity scams, etc have all got worse.

The solution isn’t Brexit and our own system though. It’s being members of the EU and instigating change in a harmonised way across the EU. Oh well.

Many people have benefited from GDPR but it's largely invisible benefits of greater security protections and limitations on data being sold. It's still relatively new legislation and is still being ironed out in terms of jurisprudence and precedence. 

If there are legitimate uses (ones that don't infringe people's rights) for B2B processing then there's no issues. These should have been considered during process implementation with adequate controls in place. If there are issues with implementation then clearly it would be impacting people's privacy. 

Is it up to the individual to decide what is done with their data. Sadly way too many people don't understand or care about this. 

The regulators are also incredibly short staffed and under funded meaning they struggle to deal with firms not obeying and the answer is to better fund them if you want them to cut down on the annoying things. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Nobody has actually benefited from all these endless cookie pop ups

They mostly have very little to do with the GDPR (only mentioned in one section Recital 30). the E-privacy directive is more relevant to cookies and the pop-ups only started after the introduction of the EPD

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I'm sure it's purely coincidental that this is being announced shortly after the ICO (UKs gdpr regulator) told the government off. 

Nah, this has been near the top of the list for the Brexit bonfire long before that.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Everyone clicks ok without reading it. They could be asking for permission to clone your hard drive and sell it to the highest bidder for all we know. 

I don't!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

They'll likely make it GDPR lite so smaller companies who only operate in UK are removed from the burden of full GDPR rules. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

I'm sure it's purely coincidental that this is being announced shortly after the ICO (UKs gdpr regulator) told the government off. 

Having to pay ICO fees for all companies or going through the approach of proving exempt. Small companies shouldn't need all the tape there is right now. Reform is a positive imo. 

22 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Having to pay ICO fees for all companies or going through the approach of proving exempt. Small companies shouldn't need all the tape there is right now. Reform is a positive imo. 

ICO fees are buttons. PRS licences cost more. There is no masses of red tape. It's a simple form, you fill it in once and the licence just recurs every year

The idea that ICO fees are onerous and involve lots of red tape are quite frankly utter bollocks. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bickster said:

They mostly have very little to do with the GDPR (only mentioned in one section Recital 30). the E-privacy directive is more relevant to cookies and the pop-ups only started after the introduction of the EPD

That one mention of “online identifiers” in GDPR carries a lot of weight, and GDPR / EPD are designed as interlocking pieces of legislation anyway.

36 minutes ago, bickster said:

ICO fees are buttons. PRS licences cost more. There is no masses of red tape. It's a simple form, you fill it in once and the licence just recurs every year

The idea that ICO fees are onerous and involve lots of red tape are quite frankly utter bollocks. 

Agree, the ICO fees are pennies.

The more onerous effect on small businesses is the difficulty of establishing what is and isn’t compliant. Ethical businesses work hard to do this, which may involve paying consultants or sending staff on training courses. Unethical businesses just don’t bother, and don’t get punished.

Â