The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I'm speechless. 

You may be reading a more British-English version of “brilliant,“ which is broad? I merely mean highly intelligent, which seems indisputable to me. But maybe you’re still speechless … Which one would you choose?

4 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

You may be reading a more British-English version of “brilliant,“ which is broad? I merely mean highly intelligent, which seems indisputable to me. But maybe you’re still speechless … Which one would you choose?

Dude Truss is very dim - for someone in her position at least. Something you can't say for Sunak, although he's patently unqualified for other reasons 

Sunak thought it was a good idea to borrow a Kia and have a photo next to it. He also doesn’t know how to use a contactless card.

The UK also has the lowest projected growth in the G7, something that happened on his watch. I know it’s difficult conditions but someone super clever may achieve more (I.e. cooling the economy last year).

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

Sunak thought it was a good idea to borrow a Kia and have a photo next to it. He also doesn’t know how to use a contactless card.

The UK also has the lowest projected growth in the G7, something that happened on his watch. I know it’s difficult conditions but someone super clever may achieve more (I.e. cooling the economy last year).

He's definitely a noob at politics, and doesn't seem to have great advisors. But from interviews etc I think he's reasonably sharp in comparison to Truss at least. 

He's not fit to be PM for the reasons you've alluded to. But for me he's the most dangerous candidate to beat Starmer... open to the idea I'm being too generous 

Just now, juanpabloangel18 said:

He's definitely a noob at politics, and doesn't seem to have great advisors. But from interviews etc I think he's reasonably sharp in comparison to Truss at least. 

He's not fit to be PM for the reasons you've alluded to. But for me he's the most dangerous candidate to beat Starmer... open to the idea I'm being too generous 

Another problem he has is that he’s weak. I think that comes from a position of not being so comfortable bare face lying like Johnson, Truss, Dorries, JRM and co are. 

I’m not sure he’d be able to cope with PMQ’s long term.

When the questioning gets tough he crumbles which is not ideal for the PM. 

• Like 1

I see yesterday in a stroke of brilliance Andy Street gave his backing to the certain to lose Jeremy Hunt.  So now our Conservative West Midlands mayor will have to curry favour with a Prime Minister who knows Street didn't back him/her. 

Why on earth would he open his mouth on this matter? 

• Like 1

Sunak would be by far the most likely tory to win the next GE - however the tory right want him destroyed, the Daily Heil want to bring him down and you'd imagine the Telegraph not far behind. Therefore I think it unlikely the tory member biggots who read those poisonous rags every frickin morning, will vote for him against the right's favoured candidate. Fascinating to see how we get to the final two. Sunak / Mordor would probably be the best of a bad lot.

Does everyone recall Truss embarrassing us on the world stage in Moscow getting the Black and Baltic seas confused, as well as being mistaken over entire swathes of Russian land. A woeful contribution to diplomacy ahead of the Ukraine invasion. The new Thatcher, I think not.

Then there was this jingoistic vacuous effort, full of buzzwords and containing nothing of any substance:

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/foreign-secretary-liz-truss-building-the-network-of-liberty

Conclusion

So when I meet the G7 in Liverpool this weekend, my message will be clear: it’s time to get on the front foot and join us in advancing the frontiers of freedom.

46 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I think we can safely say thay the next PM is going to be a woman. 

A Thatcher with all the nastiness but none of the brains. 

I think at this time of the year we should all be thankful that her brains helped develop the British soft scoop ice cream industry.

31 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I see yesterday in a stroke of brilliance Andy Street gave his backing to the certain to lose Jeremy Hunt.  So now our Conservative West Midlands mayor will have to curry favour with a Prime Minister who knows Street didn't back him/her. 

Why on earth would he open his mouth on this matter? 

Perhaps he genuinely thought he was the best of a bad bunch? Being a city mayor and drawing up a bit of a ideological difference is not a massive issue as he has to appeal to centrist's and some labour voters if he wants to get re-elected. Khan  was never exactly a supporter of Corbyn was he.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's a horrible bunch of massively flawed individuals hell bent on an awful future that suits only a tiny minority.

This maybe true but it also converts into a majority in the commons which in the end is all that matters. 

Even from here,  they will still have a majority after the next election and no one will know how they did it.  Forget Polls,  Labour need to believe they are 15% behind until the day of the election and they may have a chance.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I feel like I shouldn't be allowed to weigh in on this, as it's not really my concern directly any more ... but oh gawd, it's so tempting. I don't think I'd vote Labour were I in the UK again (my last MP was actually Jeremy in Islington, and I supported him then -- not a fan now -- it's that dumb hat, I fear),  but from afar, were I Tory (and I don't know if I could stomach that, either, tbh), I'd probably hope for Sunak or Truss.  Sunak seems brilliant to me, and Truss, too, very intelligent and also humane but hawkish, too, which I like.  Badenoch and Braverman both seem ill-tempered and obsessed with stupid stuff. Not people I'd want in charge. Mordaunt doesn't really seem to have many ideas -- it's more about her being her.

Are you a parody account?

Sunak I can understand to an extent. I think he'd be a nightmare but he's undoubtedly intelligent.

But Truss? :D :D :D 

Come on

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

There is no good ending to the story of new PM is there?

It's a horrible bunch of massively flawed individuals hell bent on an awful future that suits only a tiny minority.

The good ending is that they're so shit they lose the next election.

• Like 3

Sunak said he’d keep the Rwanda policy if he wins the race to be PM.

He probably has to say that to stay in the running, but a bad move (if he means it). 

Like Brexit, it’ll never go away as it’s such an appalling idea.

Â