The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

Nearly 2,500 barristers who are essential to the criminal justice system in England and Wales are starting industrial action over concerns about legal aid funding.

They will refuse to step in at the last minute to pick up court appearances or preparatory work for colleagues whose cases are over-running.

It stems from an unresolved row with the government over funding.

The government said the action would make existing backlogs worse.

The Criminal Bar Association (CBA) has accused ministers of dragging their feet over implementing a 15% rise in rates for legal aid - as recommended by an independent review.

The CBA said 15% was the bare minimum needed to stop the system from collapsing.

BBC

• Like 1

3 hours ago, meregreen said:

Doubt it will last more than the next headline. People struggling to heat their homes and put food on the table while their disposable income shrinks, won’t be swayed by the fat bastard flying to Ukraine for a photo opportunity.

Well you'd think but I don't trust the British people as a collective to know what's good for them.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Well you'd think but I don't trust the British people as a collective to know what's good for them.

True. But when they’re cold and their stomachs are empty, they’ll be looking for someone to blame. I’ve a feeling that this Government like all others, will ultimately carry the can .

1 hour ago, meregreen said:

True. But when they’re cold and their stomachs are empty, they’ll be looking for someone to blame. I’ve a feeling that this Government like all others, will ultimately carry the can .

And they will blame Labour, as they have done consistently for 10 or so years now. 

Or Tories change leader and then the new person gets voted for cos they “aren’t the same as the last lot”

34 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:

And they will blame Labour, as they have done consistently for 10 or so years now. 

Or Tories change leader and then the new person gets voted for cos they “aren’t the same as the last lot”

I’m old enough to know that doesn’t work forever.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, choffer said:

They've clearly not assaulted any Jewish people, therefore the Tory party doesn't have a systemic problem of any kind as far as the press is concerned.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chindie said:

But... but... surely he became an MP due to his devotion to public service, and concern for the issues that matter to his constituents? No? No? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, meregreen said:

I’m old enough to know that doesn’t work forever.

We live in a world where people get their “info” from places that can progressively push more and more out and confuse those who are looking at the wrong time. We are in an information war that we’ve been losing for a decade and that won’t change. People now see “opinion” as more important than “facts” and that’s dangerous ground. 

3 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:

We live in a world where people get their “info” from places that can progressively push more and more out and confuse those who are looking at the wrong time. We are in an information war that we’ve been losing for a decade and that won’t change. People now see “opinion” as more important than “facts” and that’s dangerous ground. 

People will also see how hungry they will be getting and that they can't afford holidays etc

That will eventually change their minds. It's OK getting people to believe they will be better off when most are relatively speaking able to live andf afford luxuries but what is coming will make people think again

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

People will also see how hungry they will be getting and that they can't afford holidays etc

That will eventually change their minds. It's OK getting people to believe they will be better off when most are relatively speaking able to live andf afford luxuries but what is coming will make people think again

People still blame Labour and immigrants and I can’t see that changing. 

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

They've clearly not assaulted any Jewish people, therefore the Tory party doesn't have a systemic problem of any kind as far as the press is concerned.

Quotes like this would definitely suggest that people ringing up Tory Central Office saying that one of their scumbags had sexually assaulted them probably happens more often than it would in most places.

On 10/04/2022 at 09:26, desensitized43 said:

Well at said company I was offered the opportunity as a fellow director to be paid in dividend and I said no…it’s inherently unfair on those in managing. So no don’t assume.

Perhaps I should just put my morality aside in favour of making a little more money at the expense of everyone else but alas I was raised in a different way.

You can't be paid dividends as a director unless you're a shareholder as well.  People running a legitimate company are perfectly entitled to take dividends. They've risked their time and money to start a business and the lower rate of dividend tax was originally supposed to at least partly reflect that. The advnatage is absolutely minimal these days though. Too many people like BBC employees abused the system, so the tax rate was increased to help change their behaviour, when legislation like IR35 didn't work.

• Like 1

On 10/04/2022 at 13:12, foreveryoung said:

All big companies dodge tax. They then get a big bill and barter with the government to only pay a percentage of it. I worked for a company many moons ago who nearly closed for a £40 million quid tax bill. They swapped accountant firms which cost £5 million quid an ended up paying £18 million in taxes the rest written off. The UK would be a much more well off country if it all could be sorted. The rich never pay the tax they should, however innocent they may be.

While you all slagging the government, you can slag off most football players and clubs too. As alot of their earnings and profits are registered to over seas companies. It's rife, deal with it!!!

Absolute nonsense I'm afraid.

You can't barter with HMRC. Ever since the Vodafone case, they're been prohibited from even being seen to discuss tax liabilities. You put a tax return in, whether company or personal, and if they don't agree with the calculations, they'll challenge it. You can disagree with their challenge, but the only posible outcome is defending you or your company at a tax tribunal.

As for footballers, some of the highest paid might get away with having some of their image rights paid through an offshore company, but this has generally been capped at 10% of their earnings for many years now. All of their contracted wages for playing football will be paid by the clubs, and have full UK tax deducted on it.

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's been, like, 48 or 72 hours in which Easy Mode has been turned off, and he's contemplating quitting. Funny.

I can't get my head around why he bothers. If I was as loaded as that couple, I'd be enjoying my life by doing literally anything other than making myself unpopular as the sidekick to the country's leading philandering clown. Maybe I just don't have enough ambition, but Westminster is the last place in the world I'd be if I had "**** you, and you, and you, and...well actually, **** all of you" money.

Edited by Davkaus

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I can't get my head around why he bothers. If I was as loaded as that couple, I'd be enjoying my life by doing literally anything other than making myself unpopular as the sidekick to the country's leading philandering clown. Maybe I just don't have enough ambition, but Westminster is the last place in the world I'd be if I had "**** you, and you, and you, and...well actually, **** all of you" money.

He thought he was going to be the next Prime Minister. That's history books level fame. Ego trip. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Risso said:

Absolute nonsense I'm afraid.

You can't barter with HMRC. Ever since the Vodafone case, they're been prohibited from even being seen to discuss tax liabilities. You put a tax return in, whether company or personal, and if they don't agree with the calculations, they'll challenge it. You can disagree with their challenge, but the only posible outcome is defending you or your company at a tax tribunal.

As for footballers, some of the highest paid might get away with having some of their image rights paid through an offshore company, but this has generally been capped at 10% of their earnings for many years now. All of their contracted wages for playing football will be paid by the clubs, and have full UK tax deducted on it.

Bernie Ecclestone struck a deal with HMRC. Starbucks, stuck a deal with HMRC, there are plenty of companies who have avoided paying owed tax. Huge companies do it all the time, as they as good as blackmail the government that they will take there business abroad, which is a big reason they don't tax them more or take windfall taxes. 

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Presumably he will appeal the conviction so any by-election is still a long time in the future, but there will be a lot of pressure on Labour to win that.

A “dreadful miscarriage of justice” according to his pal. 

• Shocked 1

Â