• Poor
    • Very Poor
  2. 2. Refereeing Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor

hahaha these write ups from those at the game compared to the people in the match thread is amazing. One point someone mentioned they felt sorry for the guys who went to watch the game lol

The most fun i have had at VP in ages . Best £12 I ever spent.

• Like 3

May have been against lower league opposition but I thought it was thoroughly enjoyable even if our defence was a bit worrying. Thought Sanchez was brilliant at CB and mopped up almost everything - kind of embarrassing for Baker really who was just dreadful. Sinclair should be played as a striker - the guy has a knack for getting goals.

Funnily enough, when Bennett came on I actually said out loud that he'd score. Also my Dad said Sinclair would grab a hat-trick after his first goal. Spooky.

Edited by Mantis

Interesting manager rating results.

Really hope Adama is ok...wondering if our prize player should have been out there to begin with? League cup minnows will try to break his legs every time.

Thanks for the great reviews everyone.

One thing though: I'm surprised how quite a few were calling Tim naive (or similar) for his decisions, as if Tim didn't know what was coming and was surprised that we didn't just come out with a 10-0 score.

A great entertaining evening - and nice for my daugther to finally see a Villa win in the flesh!

The minute's silence prior to the game relating to the Shoreham disaster was exceptionally observed at both ends - hats off to both sets of supporters.

The match itself was excellent value for money - £17.00 for adults in the Upper Ellis sounded steap initially for a match against lower league oppo in such an early seeded round of the league cup. Isn't this normally an Ayrton Senna? 

It never felt like we should panic, despite falling behind for a third time in the game. And what a goal by Burke. Great to see Villa fans take off the claret blinkers and applaud it too - a fine goal for which he should be proud.

Given how end to end and exciting the game was, it was actually just desserts for all concerned for it to go into extra time.

I won't go into detail about the player ratings as others have eloquently described it all in pages past. Suffice to say, Traore is a truncheon... Cor blimey, what a player he will be. Fingers crossed he is not out for long. Ayew is a concern for me at this time - needs something to happen for him to either ignite his game, or give him some confidence to show justice in his fee.

Back to the Holte for me on Saturday... CTFO Villa... CTFO.

Edited by Raver50032
  • Like 1

I'm posting now in the cold light of day having been at the game. Its funny reading some of the thoughts on here and I would disagree with quite a few comments made but I guess its how you see the game.

Firstly Tim's tactics I thought were bordering on suicidal and in a way disrespectful to County who IMO dominated most of the first half and were really only undone in the last 15 minutes and extra time by their lack of fitness, they literally ran out of steam. Their tactics were very simply pump balls into our half and expose a weak defence as they had decent height in their front two. Our team selection was bizarre. I get the idea of giving players a run out and match time but that lash up of a defence and an ultra attacking midfield was asking for trouble. We could have easily conceded a couple more, they missed an open goal at one point and a couple of really good chances that they squandered.

Having said that given the chances we had Iater on we could have scored probably four more; two tap ins missed, Grealish fluffing a lob into an open goal and Kozak being denied by a superb save.

I won't comment on all who played but my thoughts are:

Sanchez: I don't get the love in of him at CB. I thought he was poor. He is not a good header of the ball and is not tall enough. His ball playing skills saved him a few times but he was way too keen to push forward leaving us exposed. Not an experiment to repeat.

Baker: He is a stopper pure and simple and a good one but needs to play with an intelligent ball playing proper CB partner. Him and Sanchez were a near liability together.

Hutton: Did OK save for his Amavi type error which gifted them their opening goal.

Richardson: Struggled in the first half but when space opened up later in the game looked much better and was excellent going forward.

Gil: Very good game and worked hard. He is the player we think he is.

Grealish: Gets better every game and he is eliminating his poor passing and shooting selection from his game. Troubled their defence all night.

Adama: Will be a very special player for us but so raw at the moment. He has pace and guile but needs to be way less greedy. How their left back stayed on the pitch is beyond me as he fouled Adama from the very first time he ran at him.

Veretout: Maybe a surprise to a few but my MOTM. He played really well and I think in the medium term will be better than both Cleverley and the Snake.  Good pass section and some great covering tackles. Last night will be a major confidence boost for him.

Sinclair: Quiet for much of the game as he stayed quite deep at times but the goals speak for themselves. He missed one simple tap in and fluffed another great chance. How Gabby gets a game ahead of him is totally beyond me. He needs to play as an out and out striker.

Ayew: Major disappointment for me. This was the game he needed to build his confidence and I think it did the complete opposite. We used to say Benteke was born offside, I think Ayew was conceived offside. He ran into too many blind alleys and was largely ineffectual. Not written him off yet but the signs are not good.

Kozak: Should have been on from the start. Played on the shoulder of the CB and caused real problems and tied up their defence. He also gave much needed height to set pieces. Funnily enough this game was probably made for a player like Gestede with his height but Kozak was a great alternative and better with the ball at his feet. We should definitely be keeping Kozak as I think he will get better with more game time.

Bennett: The hated man of VT. I have always been a fan and he is footballer. Great goal and a super cameo in central midfield.

One gripe we have turned wasting set pieces into an art form, we don't have to take them quickly and short every time and then give away possession.

Yes we won and yes it was entertaining in the end but lets not kid ourselves we played well because we did not. We won because we were fitter and had more options off the bench.

If we play anything like that or field a similar comedy defensive unit against Blues we will lose. A few posters have commented on the negative posts made on the match thread particularly in the first half. Based on what I watched in that first half most were probably totally justified. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1

Just got back in from the game*, and it's funny how different people can have completely different perceptions of how people played. For me:

:snip:

*yes, I'm now an ex-HanoiVillan

b44e9e1d5e5d4c60be01d7aa225e483a3a5e1290
  • Like 1

Probably echoing what has already been  very well written in the  thread but that was a proper cup match. 8 goals and both teams going for it, even though it was a bit of a mad selection by Sherwood.

Very exciting in periods going forwards, but some worries at the back. But I will take this over Mcleish and the later Lambert era any day of the week! Grealish was excellent, pleased to see Sinclair getting in the goals, and Traore looks a real talent, Slighty concerned over Ayew and I am not sure why Baker is still at Villa, but overall a hugely entertaining match. Pleased to see Kozak back as well, if we don't get another target man he needs to stay as back up to Rudy. Shame more didn't come to the match, but it's about as big as Albion and Blues's matches combined.

A shout out to county as they played very well for a league two club, and the applause to Grealish was a nice touch. 

WAtching barnsley vs Everton.  And they seem to be having the same game, as I imagine, that villa had yesterday.

Reading between the lines and all, of those that actually went to the game...seems to be the same problems.  Barnsley taking all their chances / etc.

Â