• Very Poor
  2. 2. Refereeing Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor

Wow what a fun game that was!

Adama was incredible at times, very very greedy at other times. Still so raw but my gosh he has so much talent. Most exciting player I've seen in a Villa shirt in a long time.

Grealish was majestic, Gil was excellent. Even Sanchez who I've never rated was decent. Nice little cameo from Joe Cole as well. He still offers a lot to our team.

Not sure about Veretout. Was a rabbit in headlights again in the first half bit the second half he did improve tbf and showed glimpses of talent.

NOW Ayew. Sorry but we have brought a dud there. Awful. Awful. AWFUL! Lazy, disinterested, ALWAYS offside. Doesn't offer anything to us at all. Shocking performance. Bunn looks dodgy as well and Baker just isn't good enough for us.

Lots of positives and equally lots of negatives. Great game though.

• Like 2

Wow what a fun game that was!

Adama was incredible at times, very very greedy at other times. Still so raw but my gosh he has so much talent. Most exciting player I've seen in a Villa shirt in a long time.

Grealish was majestic, Gil was excellent. Even Sanchez who I've never rated was decent. Nice little cameo from Joe Cole as well. He still offers a lot to our team.

Not sure about Veretout. Was a rabbit in headlights again in the first half bit the second half he did improve tbf and showed glimpses of talent.

NOW Ayew. Sorry but we have brought a dud there. Awful. Awful. AWFUL! Lazy, disinterested, ALWAYS offside. Doesn't offer anything to us at all. Shocking performance. Bunn looks dodgy as well and Baker just isn't good enough for us.

Lots of positives and equally lots of negatives. Great game though.

Agree with most of that, apart from Veretout. Thought he had a very good game. Very tidy indeed.
  • Like 1

Hmmm

Villa scum or Spurs arsenal. Guess which Derby will be the sky match...

Won't they show two games? One tues and the other wed?

The only thing I wing enjoy is the sky wankfest hoping blose beat us

The Liverpool and Chelsea games are prime candidates for TV selection too

Well while I'm waiting for my train I may as well scribble down some half thought out musings.

Best defender for us was Sanchez by quite a distance, the other three were a bit hit & miss.

Veretout looked a hell of a lot better, think we've really upgraded on Cleverly.

Gil & Grealish both looked great, Gil with some great work around the halfway line (both defensive & offensive), Grealish looking superb (only missing a goal to round it off-it will come).

Traore was fantastic, his pace is tremendous, but he's got great skill to boot. Hope he's ok for Saturday.

Ayew looked much more lively than previous games. Sinclair justifying his place in the starting 11 in style. Kozak, Cole and Bennett all doing a good job (I'll let Cole off for that offside incident). Based on their cameos tonight, I hope they stick around.

Lovely to see the County fans cheering on Jack and it was fantastic to see him run over to them to give his shin pads away.

A very entertaining and enjoyable night out. And that's what it should be like. (Just try and win it in the 90 mins next time please lads, I'd like to get home before midnight!)

UTV

• Like 2

Sanchez was my man of the match, felt for Grealish really wanted to score but just would not go in. Kozak played well made alot of intelligent runs but we never played him in. altogether a weird match where our fitness saved us, should of had 7 or 8 in injury time with the chances. Still fair play to County who played some great stuff and added to the entertainment. Some great stand out performances but some loose play again could have been our downfall.

Right, my thoughts.

Firstly, it was a great game. Very entertaining, although a bit frustrating from a Villa fan point of view.

Going forward, once we'd settled down we looked really good, particularly the midfield. But it was neutralised by our striker, who I'll get to later. We need something else up top.

Defensively, despite conceding 3 against a league 2 side, I don't think we were terrible.

We were shakey defensively until they scored their first. But after that we restricted them to half chances, and they scored from a penalty following a kamikaze decision from Bunn when their player was going nowhere, and an absolute wonder strike from Burke. So I think the 3 goals flattered them really.

Thoughts on players:

Bunn - not great. Huge mistake for the penalty. Their player was going nowhere and Bunn got nowhere near the ball. He also seemed to have problems communicating with the defence. A couple of times they had some hairy moments that appeared to be result of a bad or missing call.

Hutton - Captain for the night, he was solid. Good performance

Baker - Probably the worst of the back four. He wasn't awful, but was the weak point of the back four.

Sanchez - surprised to see him at CB, but he had a good game. Again shakey for the first 10 or 15 minutes like the rest of the defence but once he settled in I was very impressed. Won everything in the air and read the game well.

Richardson - couple of sloppy moments but did well otherwise. Created two of the goals. His runs from defence, even without the ball, are very underrated.

Veretout - thought he had a very tidy game. He played DM and played it very much in the mould of westwood. No huge booming tackles but read the game nicely and distrbuted the ball to the attackers well.

Gil - Ran the show, especially second half. He and Grealish were pulling all the strings in central midfield. Clearly lacking fitness, was blowing out of his arse in extra time before he got subbed. Promising

Grealish - best player on the pitch. MOTM. Played high next to Ayew to start off with, a number 10 role. Seemed to drop deeper as the game went on and drift out wide. He was wonderful.

Sinclair - looked dangerous. Had a very quiet first half but grew into the game. Took his goals well. Benefited from Adama coming off as everything was going down the opposite wing with him on the pitch.

Adama - so exciting. I actually don't think he was very good tonight technically speaking. He has some tricks in his locker, but most of the time he bundles his way through defenders. He also seemed a bit greedy. I think he needs to work on his decision making. BUt seriously, his pace and power makes up for everything. County were terrified of him and resorted to kicking chunks out of him, which ended with him going off injured. Hopefully it's not too bad. When he was running at them it looked like he was playing against an Under 12s team.
If he can develop a bit technically and improve his decision making he's going to be a superb player

Ayew - Shite. Not writing him off, he may need time to settle. But he was crap tonight. Offside all the time, didn't hold the ball up, gave it away too easily, didn't win balls in the air. Just did nothing really.

Subs:

Cole - looked dodgy when he first came on. Few slips and missed passes. But settled in and did brilliantly to set SInclair up for his hattrick.

Kozak - on the evidence of tonight he's miles ahead of Ayew. He wasn't amazing, but he held the ball up, ran the channels, won flick ons, won loads of fouls. he did everything Ayew didn't.

Bennet - unusual to see him playing in DM (he slotted in alongside Veretout when he came on for Gil) but he did fine. Great goal too.

Very enjoyable night in the end. Special mention to Graham Burke's goal. Shades of Gil vs Bournemouth. Excellent strike.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

Â