The Ashes 2015

PongRiddims

Still think we've got a bit of work to do in this tail end. Pitch doesn't look that bad, I reckon you'd be wanting 400 minimum after choosing to bat.

Considering the start we got it's a good score, but Australia will be quite content if they can limit us to ~380

Not one to pick on a player but Bell is a weak point at the minute. Just seems devoid of confidence 

• Like 1

Not one to pick on a player but Bell is a weak point at the minute. Just seems devoid of confidence 

I think we have a potential problem with all the top 4 to be honest. 

• Like 1

Bring back KP ;)

seriously good effort from England as it could have been a lot worse by the sounds of it. Haddin catches Root I think England would be all out by tea

Root is going to break all records for England. Got to be the best England batsman since maybe Wally Hammond!

Brilliant player, got a bit of KP about him in regards how he can change the dynamics of a game or even days play.

Just hope he isn't made captain too early when Cook eventually steps down.

He's more consistent than KP ever was though, but yes i see your point. I thought Moeen batted nicely when he came in. Very composed, elegant shots and not afraid to take the spinner on. Wasted at 8 though!

Think England are in a good position after day 1. 

He's more consistent than KP ever was though, but yes i see your point. I thought Moeen batted nicely when he came in. Very composed, elegant shots and not afraid to take the spinner on. Wasted at 8 though!

Think England are in a good position after day 1. 

His batting before now means he deserves to be batting at 8 and he isn't good enough to be batting at 4 or 5 which means he is competing with Stokes and Buttler. Stokes is a better batsman at the moment than Ali and Buttler is a great Wicketkeeper-Batsman in the making and is a much better batsman than Moeen.

Agree with the sentiment on Moeen, although he looked very tidy today I've seen him play a few times and there's a slight rawness about his ability, sometimes he plays a little carelessly when there is no need. Still, he could come out of this series with his name in lights if he continues what he started today and takes a few wickets too

• Like 1

He's always going to be careless but he's not a no.8. Anyway he focused so much on his bowling he took his eye off his batting. But he's capable of producing an innings of magic like he did against Sri Lanka last season. Don't agree either that Butler or Stokes are better than Moeen . Moeen has more style than either of them, but guess i'm biased because i've watched him when he was a kid. 

What I would say about Butler and Stokes. they are more part of the modern game which is more about strength than style. I prefer the Gower and Bell type players who are more pleasing on the eye. 

Edited by PaulC

He's always going to be careless but he's not a no.8. Anyway he focused so much on his bowling he took his eye off his batting. But he's capable of producing an innings of magic like he did against Sri Lanka last season. Don't agree either that Butler or Stokes are better than Moeen . Moeen has more style than either of them, but guess i'm biased because i've watched him when he was a kid. 

What I would say about Butler and Stokes. they are more part of the modern game which is more about strength than style. I prefer the Gower and Bell type players who are more pleasing on the eye. 

I didn't see Gower play, but is there anything more beautiful than an Ian Bell cover drive? Moeen being a left hand bat also looks exquisite when playing the cover drive.

Still, I don't mind Stokes top edging everything for 6 if the runs are coming.

Let's post 400 and the game is set up.

Â