The Greatest...by Shirt Number

villan-scott

Sidwell wasnt as bad as people make out and never really got a chance, 3 league goals for Villa which is same as Delph and Westwood have in the league in more than double the games

• Like 1

My Version :

1 Bosnich

2 Swain

3 Staunton

4 Evans

5 McGrath

6 Mortimer

7 Platt

8 Cropley

9 Yorke

10 Little

11 Morley

Can't believe I have left out Gray,Withe & Cowans

• Like 1

Sidwell wasnt as bad as people make out and never really got a chance, 3 league goals for Villa which is same as Delph and Westwood have in the league in more than double the games

Agreed that Sidwell wasn't as bad as people made out. But the same goes with Vlaar: he's far better than his reputation on VT currently suggests. Sidwell was nothing on the player Vlaar is.

• Like 1

Best:

1)Bosnich

2)Delaney 4)Mellberg 5)McGrath 3)Wright

6)Barry     7)Taylor

10)Merson                                  11)Milner

8)Angel   9)Saunders

Worst:

1) Enckleman

2) Watson  5)Dunne  6)Tiler  3)Bennett

4)Sidwell   7)Ireland

10)N'Zogbia                     11)Thompson

8)Fashanu   9)Helenius

------------------------------1. Bosnich

2. Charles-------4. Mellberg-------5. McGrath-------3. Staunton

-----------11. Milner---------7. Taylor----------6. Downing----------

------------8. Angel--------9. Saunders---------10. Yorke-----------

Agreed that Sidwell wasn't as bad as people made out. But the same goes with Vlaar: he's far better than his reputation on VT currently suggests. Sidwell was nothing on the player Vlaar is.

Well it is who was also around, or not around, at the same time. SIdwell had Milner and Petrov ahead of him. Vlaar has basially been first choice for 3 seasons due to no one better is around, but I would say a fit Laursen is better than Ron.

Best:

1)Bosnich

6)Barry     7)Taylor

8)Angel   9)Saunders

Worst:

1) Enckleman

4)Sidwell   7)Ireland

8)Fashanu   9)Helenius

Dunne in the worst 11? Get out of town! He's not our best number 5 ever, but he's nowhere near our worst. Certainly better than our current number 5. 

When I think of Bosnich, he's number 13 for me. Don't associate him as number 1. 

Edited by dAVe80

My Version :

1 Bosnich

2 Swain

3 Staunton

4 Evans

5 McGrath

6 Mortimer

7 Platt

8 Cropley

9 Yorke

10 Little

11 Morley

Can't believe I have left out Gray,Withe & Cowans

Can't believe you left out Sid. For me the best player that ever played for the club. 

• Like 2

I've only been a Villa fan since about 2002, so in my time it has to be:

1. Friedel

2. Delaney (based more on the fact he is the only half-consistent RB we've had in ALL of that time)

3. Bouma

4. Mellberg

5. Laursen

6. Barry

7. Young

8. Milner

9. Angel

10. Carew

11. Solano

Can't believe you left out Sid. For me the best player that ever played for the club. 

Never got to see the man play myself apart from in a few clips. What was he like?

Good feet, two footed, great range of passing, tenacious in the tackle. Its rare that players come back after leaving the club but he had two great spells at Villa. For me thats why I rate him the best, even though most people rate Mcgrath tops. 

• Like 1

Never got to see the man play myself apart from in a few clips. What was he like?

Without doubt the best player i've seen in a Villa shirt since i started going in 1970. His touch and vision was sublime and it's a travesty how few international caps he won.

• Like 2

Best:

1)Bosnich

6)Barry     7)Taylor

8)Angel   9)Saunders

Worst:

1) Enckleman

4)Sidwell   7)Ireland

8)Fashanu   9)Helenius

Dunne in the worst 11? Get out of town! He's not our best number 5 ever, but he's nowhere near our worst. Certainly better than our current number 5. 

When I think of Bosnich, he's number 13 for me. Don't associate him as number 1. 

That was the only difficult decision for me. Our number 5's in the Premier League era were McGrath, Ehiogu, Alpay, Laursen, Dunne, and Okore. I was never a fan of Dunne, and didn't think he was worth the money we were paying him (the drinking story where he apparently abused Sid didn't do him any favours either), whereas I've always liked the others and they always seemed to be Villa through-and-through (until Ugo went all big-time on us and Alpay lost the plot).

Bozzie wore number 1 for 4 years before he went to United as well, but yeah, the moments you associate him with (Tranmere etc) he was wearing 13.

8. Eric Jenga Jenga

So what happened to him?

I assume he collapsed like a tower of wooden bricks and disappeared forever

Â