The Greatest...by Shirt Number

villan-scott

Sidwell wasnt as bad as people make out and never really got a chance, 3 league goals for Villa which is same as Delph and Westwood have in the league in more than double the games

Agreed that Sidwell wasn't as bad as people made out. But the same goes with Vlaar: he's far better than his reputation on VT currently suggests. Sidwell was nothing on the player Vlaar is.

Well it is who was also around, or not around, at the same time. SIdwell had Milner and Petrov ahead of him. Vlaar has basially been first choice for 3 seasons due to no one better is around, but I would say a fit Laursen is better than Ron.

Sidwell has gone on to have a good career, and is a good PL player but he was awful for us. Invisible almost everytime he played for me.

I don't think he had what it takes.

Never really got the love for delaney. Half decent but nothing to write home about.

10: without doubt - Dwight yorke

Ryan Giggs said Delaney was the toughest opponent he faced, apparently.

Haha I find that very hard to believe. Not so much that he said it - it's not uncommon for players to big up teammates I suppose - just that it's genuinely the toughest opponent he will have faced.

Surely giggs has played against the likes of thuram, lahm, zabaleta etc.

My Version :

1 Bosnich

2 Swain

3 Staunton

4 Evans

5 McGrath

6 Mortimer

7 Platt

8 Cropley

9 Yorke

10 Little

11 Morley

Can't believe I have left out Gray,Withe & Cowans

Can't believe you left out Sid. For me the best player that ever played for the club. 

Like I have already said.

.....just a matter of interest in the year we won the league....he never had a great season. that did not influence my choice, I just loved Cropley.

My Version :

1 Bosnich

2 Swain

3 Staunton

4 Evans

5 McGrath

6 Mortimer

7 Platt

8 Cropley

9 Yorke

10 Little

11 Morley

Can't believe you left out Sid. For me the best player that ever played for the club.

.....just a matter of interest in the year we won the league....he never had a great season. that did not influence my choice, I just loved Cropley.

Good list TRO.

I will always be a sucker for our 80-82 teams, so that would show on my list. Put Withe & Cowans in as 9 & 10 at least.

My Version :

1 Bosnich

2 Swain

3 Staunton

4 Evans

5 McGrath

6 Mortimer

7 Platt

8 Cropley

9 Yorke

10 Little

11 Morley

I loved Cropley too, one of my fav ever Villa players but wasn't able to give us more than a couple of good years because of that vicious tackle by Ally Brown. 

Hasn't aged too well!

Edited by PaulC

I don't know if I have the numbers quite right but in my lifetime I think it is...

1.  Bosnich

2.  Barrett

3.  Staunton

4.  Southgate

5.  McGrath

6.  Barry

7.  Taylor

8.  Milner

9.  Saunders

10.  Yorke

11.  Agbonlahor

For my choice on best players in each position not worrying about numbers (in my lifetime) would be...

Bosnich

Barrett Laursen McGrath Staunton

Milner Platt Barry

Merson Benteke Yorke    

Only been supporting Villa since the end of the DOL era so I appreciate that most of you will look at my "best" players in astonishment

1 Friedel

2 L Young

3 Bouma

4 Mellberg

5 Laursen

6 Barry

7 Young

8 Milner

9 Angel

10 Carew

11 Petrov

With notable mentions to players I always had a soft spot for with no real foundation in some cases, 1 Guzan, 3 Samuel, 6 Downing, 7 Hendrie, 8 McCann, 10 Weimann. If De La Cruz had worn number 2 he'd have been first on the list

We've surely had better number 11s than gabby?

Since squad numbers were introduced in 93/94 our number 11 shirt has been worn by:

Tony Daley (1993/94)

Andy Townsend (1994-96)

Stan Collymore (1997/98)

Alan Thompson (1998-2000)

Steve Staunton (2000-03)

Nobby Solano (2003-05)

James Milner (2005/06)

Stan Petrov (2006/07 - he changed to number 19 the following season, Ridgewell was number 19 in 2006/07)

Gabby Agbonlahor (2007-2015)

"I loved Cropley too, one of my fav ever Villa players but wasn't able to give us more than a couple of good years because of that vicious tackle by Ally Brown. Hasn't aged too well!" -  I'm sure Alex might think that a few of us that watched him from the terraces have also not aged too well Paul C! ;)   

1. Bosnich

2. Charles

3. Staunton

4. Mellberg

5. McGrath

6. Mortimer

7. Platt

8. Little

9. Yorke

10. Cowans

11. Morley

2. Charles? GARY Charles? Seriously?