Mobile Phone Contracts (Ver 2.0)

Genie

1 minute ago, av1 said:

Next to nothing to be honest, so certainly something I will address with whatever I do next. It’s crazy, when you take out a contract the last thing you want is to be running out of data, so I just went with unlimited. 

But I’m pretty much always connected to Wi-Fi, so below 10G (probably much lower) Such a waste. 

I've only got to 1GB one month in the last twelve.

2 minutes ago, limpid said:

I've only got to 1GB one month in the last twelve.

Wow. I think like your friends (and myself) so many people over estimate what they use. I won’t make the same mistake again. 

As much as it’s always nice to get a shinny new phone, my current handset is still performing well so I think I’ll just look at a sim only deal. Or switch back to android as the new iPhone deals are just ridiculously expensive. 

1 minute ago, av1 said:

Wow. I think like your friends (and myself) so many people over estimate what they use. I won’t make the same mistake again. 

As much as it’s always nice to get a shinny new phone, my current handset is still performing well so I think I’ll just look at a sim only deal. Or switch back to android as the new iPhone deals are just ridiculously expensive. 

There are some amazing deals on the Pixel 7 (and Pro) at the moment.

Just now, limpid said:

Thank you, I will have a look at those. Before I got this iPhone I’d narrowed my choices down to this and the Pixel (might have been pixel 4 at the time), it’s a phone I’ve always been interested in. 

8 minutes ago, limpid said:

Wow, your right. Just had a look and with 02 (I’m currently EE) I can get the pixel 7, with pixel buds and a versa 4 smart watch as free gifts for less than im currently paying. 

looks like I’ll be saying goodbye to iPhone and EE 🤣

Just now, av1 said:

Wow, your right. Just had a look and with 02 (I’m currently EE) I can get the pixel 7, with pixel buds and a versa 4 smart watch as free gifts for less than im currently paying. 

looks like I’ll be saying goodbye to iPhone and EE 🤣

Make sure it's the Pixel Buds Pro.

7 minutes ago, limpid said:

Make sure it's the Pixel Buds Pro.

It says Pixel buds A series, so I’m guessing not the pro version. 

But coincidentally, for the last week or so I’ve been looking at the Versa 4 smart watch. Freaky that you’ve suggested the pixel and I’ve found a deal that gives me the exact watch I’ve been looking at 🤣

I think with Data it's always protecting against those scenarios where you MIGHT be stuck in an airport or you MIGHT be somewhere where you need your phone for ages so you're afraid you'll burn through data watching skygo or something.

It's not right, because like @limpid I hardly EVER use much data. But it still nags in my mind that there might be a time when I suddenly need 25GB and I'll end up getting charged loads.

It's irrational :) 

18 hours ago, av1 said:

I think I pay £45pm for my contract. It’s an iPhone 12, unlimited package with EE

Just had a text from EE saying my contract is up next week (had it for 24 months) and my new price will be £47pm. How can it be £2 more expensive without a phone 🤣

Think I’ll be leaving EE, plonkers. 

I've just got an iphone 14 through ID mobile for £37 p/m, 50gb of data & £49 up front if that's any help!

19 hours ago, av1 said:

I think I pay £45pm for my contract. It’s an iPhone 12, unlimited package with EE

Just had a text from EE saying my contract is up next week (had it for 24 months) and my new price will be £47pm. How can it be £2 more expensive without a phone 🤣

Think I’ll be leaving EE, plonkers. 

Rather than get another phone, as you’re happy with the one you’ve got, have you considered a £5 a month sim only deal?  Keep the phone, save nearly £500 a year.

6 hours ago, blandy said:

Rather than get another phone, as you’re happy with the one you’ve got, have you considered a £5 a month sim only deal?  Keep the phone, save nearly £500 a year.

I have considered that today. I did like the look of the buds/watch offer I posted above, but looking at the numbers the sim only does make sense. It would leave enough to buy those 2 accessories and still have money left over. 

21 minutes ago, av1 said:

I have considered that today. I did like the look of the buds/watch offer I posted above, but looking at the numbers the sim only does make sense. It would leave enough to buy those 2 accessories and still have money left over. 

Before you decide, just check the trade-in / resale price for the iphone.

• 1 month later...

Hi folks. My sim contract is ending with Sky Mobile. Quite possibly the worst coverage I’ve ever had. Black spots everywhere. Saying I have 4G and not even loading WhatsApp. Endless issues. 

Looking at sim only deals on 3. Does anyone have any experience with them? Also, does 3 load at Villa Park?! 

Heard EE are good but they are very pricey in comparison.  

Posted this in Tech Room but bit of a ghost town over there…

Hi folks. My sim contract is ending with Sky Mobile. Quite possibly the worst coverage I’ve ever had. Black spots everywhere. Saying I have 4G and not even loading WhatsApp. Endless issues. 

Looking at sim only deals on 3. Does anyone have any experience with them? Also, does 3 load at Villa Park?! 

2 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

If you want a signal at VP then I’d suggest EE or Vodafone.

• Thanks 1

I just moved to Smarty from Three, it's the same network. Rolling 1 month contract, good deals and unlimited tethering to other devices (it comes out of your total allowance).

I just moved off unlimited data and at the time they had the £10 30GB bumped to 60GB for 12 months so I went with that, they change the offers a lot.

2f0ee1c3bda272d237e0b6a1dba04ce2.png

16 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Coverage is going to be a very personal thing, depending on where you go. I'm with O2 (who Sky are on) and very rarely have a problem - only in remote country towns/villages. I use Vodafone on my work phone and its very good coverage locally to me. 

Check out some of the MVNOs as well, obviously excluding the O2 based ones. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Sky use O2 network for info.

3 are considered the worst network for coverage so proceed cautiously there.

Maybe give vodafone, or one of their mirror networks a try? Voxi, Talkmobile, Lebara, Asda mobile all use Vodafone.

Voxi are a no contract network (like giffgaff who use O2) so you could try them with little risk. I use Vodafone and find them generally ok. 

ASAIK all networks are a bit shit at VP and it has a lot to do with the local mast(s) being overloaded when the stadium is full.

• Thanks 1

Do people get good coverage at Villa Park on Vodafone because I'm on Tesco (o2) and get virtually zero data coverage in The Lower Holte. 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Do people get good coverage at Villa Park on Vodafone because I'm on Tesco (o2) and get virtually zero data coverage in The Lower Holte. 

I find I do if I get there early but then as the place fills up it goes to shit.

• Thanks 1

Â