Mobile Phone Contracts (Ver 2.0)

Genie

11 hours ago, av1 said:

Silly question because I'm getting no joy with O2, when you agree a contract, say £40pm for x amount of calls/text/data, is that £40 inclusive of vat?

I ask because they are charging vat onto of the agreed tariff.

Yes the £40 should be inclusive of everything, unless otherwise stated. If it's for business use then it would quote the price without VAT 

2 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Yes the £40 should be inclusive of everything, unless otherwise stated. If it's for business use then it would quote the price without VAT 

Thanks mate. It's a personal contract and wasn't stated at the time of purchase. I've called them a few times about it but I'm getting no joy. 

24 minutes ago, av1 said:

Thanks mate. It's a personal contract and wasn't stated at the time of purchase. I've called them a few times about it but I'm getting no joy. 

They wouldn't normally quote a figure without VAT. All the prices on all the various websites will always be with VAT included. So it's a bit odd that yours isn't. 

• 3 months later...

My Three contract is up this month. Wanted to move to a SIM only contract but I managed to break the camera lens on my phone. Replaced it but it's no good for close up pics. Looking to pay around 30 pounds a month and need about 6gb of data. Any recommendations for handsets?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 24/02/2018 at 14:50, Dr_Pangloss said:

Giffgaff is the only way.

Bit late on this but bloody he'll what has happened to Giffgaff.  It's got really expensive now. Your not really saving anything. Only benefit is you pay it off gradullay ad opposed to a  large sum at once.

Well gents I am upgrading my phone.

The Nokia Luminaire windows phone I have had for around 4 years and just out grown is being  replaced by a Nokia 3.1. I have no idea what I have brought. It comes tomorrow

I asked my lad what is the difference between I phones and smart phones He said they are all smart phones now Dad, that didn't help

Apparently it does have big text 

So many of you get excited having new phones I find it bloody stressful and will not open the box until the weekend 

£20 unlimited text, unlimited calls and a megabyte of Malcoms, what ever that is and how ever much a Malcolm is 

On 24/01/2019 at 19:28, Robtaylor200 said:

Well gents I am upgrading my phone.

The Nokia Luminaire windows phone I have had for around 4 years and just out grown is being  replaced by a Nokia 3.1.

Wow. How will you send your faxes now? :D 

• Like 1

So my new phone came yesterday. Piece of shit. I now need a personal assistant to walk around with me, because I cant switch it on, answer a call or text. I probably phoned all my contacts last night putting their numbers in, because I couldn't work out how to transfer my data, Broke my memory card so lost my photos, luckily have them on my PC

Where are all the young people when you need them 

Amazingly Mrs T has turned into a phone Guru over night she has installed my apps got the font so I can actually read it, done loads of other stuff. Thank you Mrs T (she may still have to walk around with me for a while though)

24 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Getting the hang of my new phone, but battery doesn't last long . charging every day. Is this normal for a smart phone ?

Earlier smartphones I would say yes but looking at the specs for the Nokia 3.1 you have a pretty decent sized battery in there, you have 1,000mAhs more than the iPhone 7 or 8

https://www.kimovil.com/en/nokia-3-1/battery

Nokia 3.1 2GB 32GB calculated battery life is

2990 mAh

Hours in standby (approx.)                        102 h

Hours of web browsing (approx.)    13 h

Hours of music (approx.)               65 h

Hours of telephone (approx.)          15 h

Hours of video recording (approx.)  4 h

You will most likely have to go through your settings to turn a few things off if you don't need them running all the time, like Bluetooth, Apps running in the background etc follow the link below to go through some ways to reduce battery drain. 

http://helpforsmartphone.com/econet/en/nokia/3-1/android-8-0/guides/14/Extend-battery-life-Nokia-3-1

Extend battery life - Nokia 3.1

Before you start

This guide will show you how to turn off some features on your phone to extend the battery time. Use the guide as a guideline for extending the battery life in situations when in need and the battery is low. Make sure you read all the text in the different steps when turning a service off and remember that it is easily turned on again.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

cheers @MickeyC_UTV I have followed the guide and done all as you suggest

Thank you 

No Worries, I'm WFH today so have VT open while 'working', I usually brows VT on my phone and it can be a pain trying to respond with links and quotes....

but good luck hope you find you don't need to charge the phone so much... also beware that sometimes OS upgrades may revert your setting so things you have purposely turned off will be switched back on again, well that is my experience with iOS...

I haven't had a phone for about 10 years that I haven't had to charge every night.

My last two phones can last overnight into the next day but I'd struggle to get 2 days full usage out of them unless I was barely using them.

I'd say charging every night is still  the norm.

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I haven't had a phone for about 10 years that I haven't had to charge every night.

My last two phones can last overnight into the next day but I'd struggle to get 2 days full usage out of them unless I was barely using them.

I'd say charging every night is still  the norm.

Same. 

Some days I could probably stretch it to 2 days but out of habit I charge it every night. 

Got an iPhone 6S Plus, had it 3 years and its currently on 68% after being taken off charge at 100% at 6am. Not bad really. 

• Like 1

You should charge your phone whenever you are near a charger. People still give out crazy advice to let your battery run down before you charge it.

Top it up all the time, particularly easy if you have wireless charging.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, limpid said:

You should charge your phone whenever you are near a charger. People still give out crazy advice to let your battery run down before you charge it.

Top it up all the time, particularly easy if you have wireless charging.

Yep. I don't know if those myths were ever true, but it's amazing the amount of people who think you need to let your battery run out completely before you charge it. Or that leaving it on charge when it's already fully charged damages it.

Or that you need to charge a phone overnight when it's brand new before you use it

19 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep. I don't know if those myths were ever true, but it's amazing the amount of people who think you need to let your battery run out completely before you charge it. Or that leaving it on charge when it's already fully charged damages it.

Or that you need to charge a phone overnight when it's brand new before you use it

It used to be true with NiCd batteries - but that's 2.5 battery generations ago. The generation of high capacity batteries before them was lead-acid (car batteries) - which are also best continuously topped up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â