Mobile Phone Contracts (Ver 2.0)

Genie

54 minutes ago, imavillan said:

If you're pissed with EE then don't move to Lyca. A quick google and Lyca piggy back the EE network.

I've gone down the cheapo route, sim only, and gone with Lebara who use the Voda network and it's been great for me.

Are you on any cashback sites like Topcashback or Quidco? You can get good deals from them using Uswitch.

So many months for next to nothing then a low amount per month with no fixed contracts.

as an example with

Lebara 21GB Data, calls, texts, EU roaming £3.18 for 3 months then £7.95 - go to Uswitch through Topcashback and you'll get £11.55 back aswell.

Lyca 21GB Data, calls, texts, EU roaming £2.99 for 3 months the £7.90 - same again using TCB £11.55 back.

Theres other deals there too, just depends on budget, data that suits you

Edit: Link added

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/compare/sim_only_deals/

It's Tesco/02 I'm with now. Think EE should be better 

19 hours ago, sidcow said:

Well O2 has zero data at VP pretty much anytime so that sounds like an improvement! 

Since I moved to giff gaff, VP is a complete deadzone during games.

Vodafone used to be ok. Not great but ok. And my friend who I go to most games with is on EE and his seems pretty good.

But giff gaff (which I think uses the O2 network) is literally dead from about 2pm to 6pm on match days (assuming a 3pm kickoff obviously)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Since I moved to giff gaff, VP is a complete deadzone during games.

Vodafone used to be ok. Not great but ok. And my friend who I go to most games with is on EE and his seems pretty good.

But giff gaff (which I think uses the O2 network) is literally dead from about 2pm to 6pm on match days (assuming a 3pm kickoff obviously)

I have O2 direct from O2 and that’s a complete non-starter in and around VP on match days.

• Like 1

What's with these 3 year deals now? Vodafone now make you pay for the phone and contract separately over different periods. My iPhone 11 is barely functioning so debating whether to carry on with my cheap Sim Only package and just buy a phone outright or to get a new contract. 

8 hours ago, omariqy said:

What's with these 3 year deals now? Vodafone now make you pay for the phone and contract separately over different periods. My iPhone 11 is barely functioning so debating whether to carry on with my cheap Sim Only package and just buy a phone outright or to get a new contract. 

Cost of phones are increasing so they spread it over a longer period as no-one wants to pay £100 per month!

11 barely functioning?! What you been doing with it - i'm still rocking a 7 (work) and 8 (personal) and they are fine. I was debating upgrading to a 11 or 12 (buying them outright)

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Cost of phones are increasing so they spread it over a longer period as no-one wants to pay £100 per month!

11 barely functioning?! What you been doing with it - i'm still rocking a 7 (work) and 8 (personal) and they are fine. I was debating upgrading to a 11 or 12 (buying them outright)

It’s just the Face ID that doesn’t work. I may have exaggerated 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, omariqy said:

It’s just the Face ID that doesn’t work. I may have exaggerated 

The lack of button is what is making me hesitate to upgrade. I am a bit of a luddite. I've just accepted opening with my thumbprint. Face ID? Witchcraft! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Xela said:

The lack of button is what is making me hesitate to upgrade. I am a bit of a luddite. I've just accepted opening with my thumbprint. Face ID? Witchcraft! 

Then the SE models are for you. Basically the 13 in a 8 case.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tegis said:

Then the SE models are for you. Basically the 13 in a 8 case.

My work upgrade is an SE. In a box somewhere, as it couldn''t install the encryption software from work - IT need to look at it. 

I was hoping for a bigger screen... used to have a 6S Plus. I reckon I'll have to go buttonless. 

Getting back on-topic, I have been with O2 since '09, but now i'm finding their signal at my home address is patchy. Never used to be like that. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

On 23/02/2024 at 09:59, omariqy said:

Don’t get a phone direct from the network, the deals are awful and often 3 years long.

All the 3rd party companies like mobiles.co.uk affordablemobiles.co.uk, carphonewarehouse do much better 24 month deals.

If you are on a network and want to stay in it but keep your number then transfer your number to a payg network like giffgaff or voxi, then transfer it back on the new deal.

17 hours ago, Xela said:

Absolute game changer mate, you’re missing out. It’s like the phone is always unlocked, you don’t know it’s happening but it just unlocks in an instantly when you pick up the phone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Absolute game changer mate, you’re missing out. It’s like the phone is always unlocked, you don’t know it’s happening but it just unlocks in an instantly when you pick up the phone.

Also a lovely way to potentially let your kids unlock your phone. It happened yesterday on my wife's phone, daughter unlocked it. She reset the face-unlock and it solved it.

I just googled "iphone face unlock mother daughter" and yeah.......

Off topic, sorry

After posting on here I got a call from a company called plan.com

They are offering me business rates as I have a limited company. 2 EE contracts for £59 a month. I get a brand new iPhone 15 and they pay off my and my wife’s existing contract up. Anyone heard of them?

21 minutes ago, omariqy said:

After posting on here I got a call from a company called plan.com

They are offering me business rates as I have a limited company. 2 EE contracts for £59 a month. I get a brand new iPhone 15 and they pay off my and my wife’s existing contract up. Anyone heard of them?

never heard of them but seems to be legit checking here

https://www.getsafeonline.org/checkawebsite/

https://www.scamadviser.com/check-website/plan.com

I think i'd be doing a tad more research though before accepting anything

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Direct business deal with EE for iPhone 15. 36 month contract. £33 per month plus £10 up front. 50gb. Pretty good no?

As it's business, are those prices ex-VAT?

I don't think I'd ever sign a contract that long for a piece of glass I'm carrying around every day.

21 minutes ago, limpid said:

As it's business, are those prices ex-VAT?

I don't think I'd ever sign a contract that long for a piece of glass I'm carrying around every day.

No inc Vat. Ex Vat is £26 something. I get that. The alternative is I buy it refurbished but in very good or pristine condition 

• Like 1

Â