Mobile Phone Contracts (Ver 2.0)

Genie

My touchscreen stopped responding midway through writing a message while I was at work. Let the gaffer know I'd come down with something and would be leaving early and popped to the phone shop on the way home. Originally the plan was to book the phone for repair and lend one t=of the basic handsets while it was away. I noticed that they were knocking £400 off Pixels for some reason, my upgrade is in a few months so I have a Pixel 3xl now. Going through the details for the contract before they handed the phone over I had to wait for them to calculate my discount. A little confusion on my end as it's £400 off, what's the need to calculate anything. I was still in my uniform, apparently I get 25% off my call plan and 20% off accessories if I take in my payslip.

I'm feeling better now too.

• 1 month later...

I've tried to help my friend cancel his contract with EE today. He's deaf and cannot call their customer services so we ended up going on the chat. 

We started off typing that his contract runs out in 2 weeks, so we want to cancel. He's moving abroad to a job in Germany and won't be needing the contract and wants to unlock his phone so he can buy a new sim in Germany. We were promised via chat two weeks ago that if we contact them today he'll get the cancellation completed. To our not so surprised eyes they tried to wriggle out of the cancellation and repeatedly tried to get him to call their call centre. For personal reasons I've called him Joe in the chat transcript. We had the chat transcript from the last time he'd contacted them, and the exec pretends like he doesn't have this until we start threatening with getting a manager. EE really needs to sort out this stuff, it's embarrassing enough for someone who is deaf to have to repeatedly tell them that they cannot hear, and they keep asking him to call the call centre like it's some sort of joke.

I'm wondering if I should send this somewhere to shed some light on this sort of issue..

------

Joe: Hi, I agreed with customer services a while back that I was to chat to you on 4/6 to cancel my contract without fees. I'm hard of hearing and I am not able to contact you via phone so we agreed that we'd do it via chat.

Prateek: 
let me check the details for you.

Prateek: 
To proceed further, I need to verify the account to get full access.

Prateek: 
What are the last 4 digits of the payment card you have registered with EE (the card number is usually 16 digits long, but we only need the last 4 digits)?

Prateek: 
What phone or device (make/model) was provided as part of your current contract on this number?

Joe: I don't currently have a card registered, but when I did it was XXXX 

Joe: my phone is an iphone 7 plus
Prateek: 
Excellent, that's perfect for security. Thanks for verifying the account.

Prateek: 
Please stay connected whilst I check this for you    

Prateek: 
Joe, I can see the contract end date is 16/06/2019 , there is 30 days notice period for cancellation , also may I know where it was told that cancellation can be done over here on chat, was it over the chat ?

Joe: They told me to save the chat transcript as proof - can I send this to you
Prateek: 
okay

Prateek: 
Joe, is there any particular reason you are looking to cancel it ?

Joe: I've got a job abroad and won't be needing a UK number.
Joe: how can I send you the transcript?
Prateek: 
I have the chat transcript with me so no worries

Joe: Can I please confirm when the phone will stop working?
Prateek: 
Joe, I can see you are eligible for best plans and offers for best deals available and there are plans in which you can use allowances in abroad as well , if you want I can make you chat with my team , if you don't like any deal then you can proceed with canmcellation will that be okay ?

Joe: I'd like to proceed with cancellation please - but please let my period in June run out so I can use up my data before it turns off.
Joe: I need a new number abroad so I need the phone for that
Prateek: 
Joe, okay unfortunately cancellations team is not available on chat, it requires voice interaction

Prateek: 
EE all customers - 07953 966 250

Prateek: 
https://ee.co.uk/help/get-in-touch

Joe: I had confirmation from a manager two weeks ago that I could do it via chat as it was a special circumstance, I cannot hear anything via phone so asking me to call any of those services is useless.
Joe: can you please connect me to a manager again?
Prateek: 
Joe, okay we will do that for you now as we have chat transcript and it was promised to you

Prateek: 
I can see the contract end date is 16/06/2019 so be rest assured you will be able to use it as normal for full months in June and then it will be cancelled

Joe: okay, thank you.
Joe: where do I get the PUC code to unlock the phone?
Prateek: 
just make sure once after 16/06/2019 get back to us so that we can make sure the proper disconnection request is placed as well so if you can  come back on chat after 16/06/2019 it will be really helpful and then the system can allow us to give PAC code as well

Prateek: 
I will leave detailed notes on the account, so that you don’t have to repeat yourself.

Joe: okay, thank you.
Joe: I will log on on the 16th
Prateek: 
yes absolutely then pac code will be given for sure

Joe: okay - thanks. can I confirm that you've received my cancellation?
Prateek: 
yes we have re3ceived your cancellation request and detailed notes are left on your account as well, it will work as normal in June :)

Prateek: 
I'm really pleased we've got that sorted today. Can I help you with anything else before you go and enjoy the rest of your day?

I don't think that reads too badly. 

He carelessly asked "Joe" to call the call centre once which is a bit stupid, and tried to sell him a different plan which is irritating but pretty standard, but apart from that he seems to have done it all pretty quickly.

Compared to the kind of live chats I've had with phone companies that seems like a breeze to be honest.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't think that reads too badly. 

He carelessly asked "Joe" to call the call centre once which is a bit stupid, and tried to sell him a different plan which is irritating but pretty standard, but apart from that he seems to have done it all pretty quickly.

Compared to the kind of live chats I've had with phone companies that seems like a breeze to be honest.

Yeah I'm struggling to see the major issue there. He's basically used standard wording which is probably used for any customer, realised his mistake and put through the cancellation over live chat as requested.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
2 hours ago, choffer said:

is Giffgaff still the way forward?

Finally ready to get off the Vodafone treadmill.

Depends on your use case as always.

O2 still has some shocking problem areas. GiffGaff which uses O2's network) doesn't support basics like Voice over WiFi.

Three have some good tariffs if their coverage is good for you.

30 minutes ago, limpid said:

Depends on your use case as always.

O2 still has some shocking problem areas. GiffGaff which uses O2's network) doesn't support basics like Voice over WiFi.

Three have some good tariffs if their coverage is good for you.

Barely even use it as all my browsing and apps are on my works phone. It’s only just* occurred to me that I’m spending £40 a month for a phone that I only ever use to receive the very occasional call. I’m thinking I buy a cheap handset and the lowest tariff sim-only deal. 
I guess the question should have been “is giffgaff still the best bet for a sim-only deal or are there now other good alternatives!”.

I know I can Mooney around for alternatives, just wondered if anyone had any insight from personal experience. 

*it’s not really just occurred to me - I’m just trying to be less wasteful. 

Edited by choffer

3 hours ago, choffer said:

Voxi are good if you watch a lot of YouTube or use social media apps as their data doesn’t come out of your allowance. Voxi use the Vodafone network.

• Like 1

On 09/09/2021 at 16:51, choffer said:

On 09/09/2021 at 20:49, Genie said:

Voxi are good if you watch a lot of YouTube or use social media apps as their data doesn’t come out of your allowance. Voxi use the Vodafone network.

Smarty might be worth a look if you want cheap and cheerful with plenty data allowance. Use the 3 network.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Looking for a new phone. Currently using a S9 but it's showing its age a bit now.  Only use it for calls, messaging, and maps. Oh and occasional LinkedIn.  Budget of £30 month,  currently paying £22. Been to the Three shop(current provider) and EE. Tbf neither had any standout deals.  Both were just interested in maxing my budget and selling me extras. Of course I get this is their job but sometimes listening to customers gets you the deal!

• 2 months later...
On 10/07/2022 at 11:30, dubbs said:

Looking for a new phone. Currently using a S9 but it's showing its age a bit now.  Only use it for calls, messaging, and maps. Oh and occasional LinkedIn.  Budget of £30 month,  currently paying £22. Been to the Three shop(current provider) and EE. Tbf neither had any standout deals.  Both were just interested in maxing my budget and selling me extras. Of course I get this is their job but sometimes listening to customers gets you the deal!

I will keep an eye out on any advice you get on this as I'm pretty much in the same boat  - Got an S9, pretty damaged phone so doubt I could trade it, currently with Vodafone, contract has run out, currently paying £22 a month.

Back in the day I would just get the latest phone and pay whatever, but I am more sensible (tight) now so doesn't have to be all singing, all dancing..

That said, was looking at the Galaxy Z fold which I like the look off - but I don't want to be paying more than err, say £40 a month.. which more than likely discounts this 😅.

Might end up with an S10, S20 or S21 ? But no nothing about these to be honest and if they are/were any good 🙈

1 minute ago, WakefieldVillan said:

I will keep an eye out on any advice you get on this as I'm pretty much in the same boat  - Got an S9, pretty damaged phone so doubt I could trade it, currently with Vodafone, contract has run out, currently paying £22 a month.

Back in the day I would just get the latest phone and pay whatever, but I am more sensible (tight) now so doesn't have to be all singing, all dancing..

That said, was looking at the Galaxy Z fold which I like the look off - but I don't want to be paying more than err, say £40 a month.. which more than likely discounts this 😅.

Might end up with an S10, S20 or S21 ? But no nothing about these to be honest and if they are/were any good 🙈

Wanted an S20 or S21 but couldn't get the deal I wanted. Ended up going back into the store and the sales guy showed me a few phones I hadn't thought of.  Ended up getting a Xiaomi T11 pro for £30 a month with 30gb of data which is more than I need but lesser packages didn't make much sense.  Does all I want, can charge from 0 to 100 in 20 mins, battery lasts over 2 days.  Camera is pretty decent too.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dubbs said:

Wanted an S20 or S21 but couldn't get the deal I wanted. Ended up going back into the store and the sales guy showed me a few phones I hadn't thought of.  Ended up getting a Xiaomi T11 pro for £30 a month with 30gb of data which is more than I need but lesser packages didn't make much sense.  Does all I want, can charge from 0 to 100 in 20 mins, battery lasts over 2 days.  Camera is pretty decent too.  

Ah I didn't realise your previous post was back in July 🙈 I will look at the Xiaomi T11 as an alternative, just had a quick read and it seems decent enough (for what I require from a phone). Cheers 👍

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

The sensible thing...

Subscribe with Voxi or GiffGaff for £10 a month.

Get a 0% credit card and purchase a phone outright; pay it off over 24 months. Try and sell your S9 for as much as possible and pay this off to offset some of the value of the new phone. This will work out cheaper than a contract, but takes a bit more effort.

Rinse and repeat forever...

• 3 weeks later...

Any O2 users?

I've been with them for a few months now and it's by far the worst coverage I've ever had. Loads of spots where I have no internet, slow internet in most places, 5G is decent when there's the rare moment I get it.

They're sending a new SIM out but my missus got the same deal and hers hasn't been great either.

• 5 months later...

I think I pay £45pm for my contract. It’s an iPhone 12, unlimited package with EE

Just had a text from EE saying my contract is up next week (had it for 24 months) and my new price will be £47pm. How can it be £2 more expensive without a phone 🤣

Think I’ll be leaving EE, plonkers. 

Edited by av1

4 hours ago, av1 said:

I think I pay £45pm for my contract. It’s an iPhone 12, unlimited package with EE

Just had a text from EE saying my contract is up next week (had it for 24 months) and my new price will be £47pm. How can it be £2 more expensive without a phone 🤣

Think I’ll be leaving EE, plonkers. 

Just out of curiosity, how much of your "unlimited" do you use? It's been eye opening for a few friends recently when they realised just how little they actually use.

9 minutes ago, limpid said:

Just out of curiosity, how much of your "unlimited" do you use? It's been eye opening for a few friends recently when they realised just how little they actually use.

Next to nothing to be honest, so certainly something I will address with whatever I do next. It’s crazy, when you take out a contract the last thing you want is to be running out of data, so I just went with unlimited. 

But I’m pretty much always connected to Wi-Fi, so below 10G (probably much lower) Such a waste. 

Edited by av1

Â