Mobile Phone Contracts (Ver 2.0)

Genie

26 minutes ago, Genie said:

Sky use O2 network for info.

3 are considered the worst network for coverage so proceed cautiously there.

Maybe give vodafone, or one of their mirror networks a try? Voxi, Talkmobile, Lebara, Asda mobile all use Vodafone.

Voxi are a no contract network (like giffgaff who use O2) so you could try them with little risk. I use Vodafone and find them generally ok. 

ASAIK all networks are a bit shit at VP and it has a lot to do with the local mast(s) being overloaded when the stadium is full.

Thanks Genie 👌 just been looking at Voxi and they have some good deals and risk free like you say as no contract. Also a fair bit cheaper than Vodafone. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, villan-scott said:

Thanks Genie 👌 just been looking at Voxi and they have some good deals and risk free like you say as no contract. Also a fair bit cheaper than Vodafone. 

Get a PAC code from your current supplier, when when you get your VOXI sim give them your PAC code and they’ll transfer your number across. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Heard EE are good but they are very pricey in comparison.  

I’m with EE and I’ve never had any issues, also a good signal at VP. 

It’s worth checking how much data you use,  @limpid advised that I checked this the other month when my contract was coming to an end, suggesting that many of us overestimate what we need. I was on a unlimited deal but found out that I only use about 11gb per month so managed to get a much cheaper deal. (Thanks Limpid :thumb:

I also added an extra sim only deal for my daughter, 25gb with unlimited calls/texts for £12pm which I think is very good. Though I might have got a little discount on that for being an existing customer. 

14 minutes ago, av1 said:

I’m with EE and I’ve never had any issues, also a good signal at VP. 

It’s worth checking how much data you use,  @limpid advised that I checked this the other month when my contract was coming to an end, suggesting that many of us overestimate what we need. I was on a unlimited deal but found out that I only use about 11gb per month so managed to get a much cheaper deal. (Thanks Limpid :thumb:

I also added an extra sim only deal for my daughter, 25gb with unlimited calls/texts for £12pm which I think is very good. Though I might have got a little discount on that for being an existing customer. 

Thanks mate. Yeah been looking at EE again this morning as it’s my sim contract and my wife’s also running out so need 2 sims, so hoping to call them to wangle the second sim discount. My wife is preferring we pay a bit extra for more guaranteed service with EE plus the perks (and VP signal!). I mentioned VOXI to her but she’s not keen on going with another network that piggy backs like Sky. 

Will definitely be going for a smaller data allowance as we don’t need the unlimited for sure 👌👍

13 hours ago, villan-scott said:

I mentioned VOXI to her but she’s not keen on going with another network that piggy backs like Sky. 

VOXI is actually Vodafone - its a brand 100% owned by them.

• 8 months later...

I've a question.  I've been with Tesco for several years so not really paid much attention to Mobile contracts and how their price rises work.

I'm thinking of going with ID mobile as their prices are stupid cheap.

However on 1st April the price will go up by 3.9% + CPI.   Same the following year (yes, I know the government are trying to change the rules) 

So my question is am I best to wait till after 1st April to get a new phone? Is it worth it or will the new phone price also go up by a similar amount? 

I'm sure it probably won't because phone contracts always seem to be a very similar price whichever time I look at them though I admit I've not really tracked them to see what happens. 

So basically will it make any difference if I just do it now or should I wait till after 1st April?

On 13/02/2024 at 21:47, sidcow said:

I've a question.  I've been with Tesco for several years so not really paid much attention to Mobile contracts and how their price rises work.

I'm thinking of going with ID mobile as their prices are stupid cheap.

However on 1st April the price will go up by 3.9% + CPI.   Same the following year (yes, I know the government are trying to change the rules) 

So my question is am I best to wait till after 1st April to get a new phone? Is it worth it or will the new phone price also go up by a similar amount? 

I'm sure it probably won't because phone contracts always seem to be a very similar price whichever time I look at them though I admit I've not really tracked them to see what happens. 

So basically will it make any difference if I just do it now or should I wait till after 1st April?

I think you’ll be hit with a price rise in April if you take a new contract now but I guess it depends on how good a deal it is. If it’s something cheap like £8 a month sim only then you’ll only be paying a few pence more.

Other consideration is that ID are comfortably cheapest because they have comfortably the weakest signal. 

Whilst they use the 3 network many people report that for some reason the signal is even weaker on ID than on 3.

Ive been tempted by them before myself, and in theory the coverage at home should be good but I have seen loads of complaints on the neighbourhood fb group that they get no signal at all.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Genie said:

Other consideration is that ID are comfortably cheapest because they have comfortably the weakest signal. 

Whilst they use the 3 network many people report that for some reason the signal is even weaker on ID than on 3.

I do not believe this effect is real. I'm sure people say it, but it won't actually be happening. I moved from 3 mainly because of their customer services, but the coverage was pretty poor.

3 minutes ago, limpid said:

I do not believe this effect is real. I'm sure people say it, but it won't actually be happening. I moved from 3 mainly because of their customer services, but the coverage was pretty poor.

Pretty poor or pretty good?

I can’t verify it myself having never used them but I have read about people moving from 3 to ID assuming it would be the same but cheaper and noticed a degradation in signal strength and data speed.

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

Pretty poor or pretty good?

I can’t verify it myself having never used them but I have read about people moving from 3 to ID assuming it would be the same but cheaper and noticed a degradation in signal strength and data speed.

Poor. It worked where I need it, but was patchy everywhere else (including VP). I bet they changed device at the same time. or this was just a cognitive bias. Data speed drops are completely possible, and as a consumer you can't measure signal strength (the bars shown are pretty much a fiction).

Anyone know if Lyca have the same issue of poor signal despite using EE? 

Some of their deals are also very good and I can get a sim free phone 

46 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Lyca do some crazy cheap deals, like £1 for 6 months and stuff.

I don’t know about them but I imagine they are probably ok. If going for a crazy cheap tariff it’s low risk.

If you want a sim free phone I know someone selling an as-new Pixel 8 at a great price 👀 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

What do you mean by "signal"? I suspect they save money on back haul links so your data speeds will probably be slower with higher latency. It's the same network though so will work in the same places.

29 minutes ago, limpid said:

What do you mean by "signal"? I suspect they save money on back haul links so your data speeds will probably be slower with higher latency. It's the same network though so will work in the same places.

I'm not a gamer or anything. I'd like to get onto t'interweb at Villa Park though.  Like full stop. 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Lyca do some crazy cheap deals, like £1 for 6 months and stuff.

I don’t know about them but I imagine they are probably ok. If going for a crazy cheap tariff it’s low risk.

If you want a sim free phone I know someone selling an as-new Pixel 8 at a great price 👀 

Close but no cigar. Pixel 7a is the probable phone. Nice small screen 

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm not a gamer or anything. I'd like to get onto t'interweb at Villa Park though.  Like full stop. 

No network is going to promise that. EE tends to be okay except half time can be hit or miss. I'd be very surprised if the MVNO agreement lets EE prioritise their own customers.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, limpid said:

No network is going to promise that. EE tends to be okay except half time can be hit or miss. I'd be very surprised if the MVNO agreement lets EE prioritise their own customers.

Well O2 has zero data at VP pretty much anytime so that sounds like an improvement! 

32 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Close but no cigar. Pixel 7a is the probable phone. Nice small screen 

Interestingly, whilst the Pixel 8 has a 6.2” screen and the Pixel 7a 6.1” screen the overall size of the Pixel 8 is smaller due to having smaller bezels.

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

If you're pissed with EE then don't move to Lyca. A quick google and Lyca piggy back the EE network.

I've gone down the cheapo route, sim only, and gone with Lebara who use the Voda network and it's been great for me.

Are you on any cashback sites like Topcashback or Quidco? You can get good deals from them using Uswitch.

So many months for next to nothing then a low amount per month with no fixed contracts.

as an example with

Lebara 21GB Data, calls, texts, EU roaming £3.18 for 3 months then £7.95 - go to Uswitch through Topcashback and you'll get £11.55 back aswell.

Lyca 21GB Data, calls, texts, EU roaming £2.99 for 3 months the £7.90 - same again using TCB £11.55 back.

Theres other deals there too, just depends on budget, data that suits you

Edit: Link added

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/compare/sim_only_deals/

Edited by imavillan
  • Thanks 1

Â