Fallout 4

Frobisher

I'm massively back into Witcher 3 at the moment after a break. So glad I went back, when you get to Skellige it's just absolutely phenomenal.... but... but ... Fallout. I've just spent too much time on Fallout 2, 3 and Vegas that I just have to drop everything for this... even though Witcher 3 could possibly be of the greatest games I've ever played, I'm just a sucker for Fallout hype. I know I'll lose my Witcher flow and not get back into it for months. Don't care though, can't wait for it. 

I bought the game with the franchise book and soundtrack for £49.99 from Amazon.

Received an email this morning saying it has been dispatched so hopefully i get it Monday.

I have the week off work, not planned in with the release but falls quite nicely!

What's all this Fallout business then?

Massive open world RPG set in the US following a nuclear war. You wander out into the wasteland of ruined towns and cities, having been raised in a fallout shelter, and more or less stumble into your own adventures, finding other survivors, picking up quests, developing your character with different perks, and fighting various mutants and hostile people you stumble on.

• Like 1

What's all this Fallout business then?

Massive open world RPG set in the US following a nuclear war. You wander out into the wasteland of ruined towns and cities, having been raised in a fallout shelter, and more or less stumble into your own adventures, finding other survivors, picking up quests, developing your character with different perks, and fighting various mutants and hostile people you stumble on.

Similar to Borderlands?

Less of a shooter (although you're still picking up guns and the like and using them regularly. Unless you want to develop your character into a more if a brawler, for example) than Borderlands, much more of an in depth RPG.

You'll complete some quests just by talking, you'll open new avenues to completing tasks depending on how you've developed your character which mean sometimes you'll complete a task by killing everyone in an area and taking something when they're all dead, and other players might complete the same mission by sneaking in and charming their way through before carefully stealing the item instead.

If you've ever seen Skyrim being played, it's basically that in a different setting with guns and weird pulp 50s sci-fi postapocalypse leaning.

• Like 1

This game looks awesome! But I haven't played any of the others which means I can't play this one :( 

Not at all.   The only thing you need to know really is the premise of the game, and that's the USA and China had a nuclear war and everybody lost. There isn't really any continuity story wise between any of the games, they are just all set in the United States at some indeterminate point after the war and follow the struggles of the survivors in a world which is a resource starved nuclear wasteland. 

The big appeal of the same (for me at least) is the humour.  Fallout definitely has a great po faced ridiculousness to it which can be amazing when it hits, it's a parody of idealistic jingoistic 50s Americana in a world which has gone to shit and I think it just has the right level of self awareness.  

• Like 2

The whole lore of the world is really interesting too. The US government set up numerous underground vaults so that when nuclear war did hit American soil, some lucky citizens could escape to them in order to survive. However, a number of them actually has dark ulterior motives and were used for social experimentation. Many had different conditions designed to test their inhabitants and one of the best things I found about Fallout 3 was exploring these other vaults or finding documents containing information on them and discovering what happened (often ending rather grisly).

The Tranquillity Lane quest line from Fallout 3 is one of my all time favourite gaming experiences and I loved reading about the other vaults and the dark and twisted conditions that these researchers set for the people inside them.

Edited by Ginko

Hoping my Lenovo Y-50 can handle this... Think it might be a step too far :( 

I'm sure it'll be fine. My computer is getting to the stage where I can't play everything on max now but I can't really afford to upgrade it right now so lower settings it is.

Â