Losers

StefanAVFC

There are not many winners in football. It's not a losing mentality to admit the obvious, that we lack the infrastructure and funding to become perennial challengers.

Lerner had a go, but soon realised that it wasn't enough. That an the fact he trusted the wrong manager with the money.

Football is an incredibly closed shop.

That said, this club had been mismanaged on many levels for a long time and that has led to our stagnation. There is more we can do to modernise and I'm fairly confident we have goody people in to make the correct changes. At our level you have to gamble with your recruitment.

• Like 3

Good post, i agree with all of it, we're rotten to the core and have been for years, it's gone on for far too long, my support will never waiver but something needs to change, we can't just avoid relegation each season

There are not many winners in football. It's not a losing mentality to admit the obvious, that we lack the infrastructure and funding to become perennial challengers.

Lerner had a go, but soon realised that it wasn't enough. That an the fact he trusted the wrong manager with the money.

Football is an incredibly closed shop.

That said, this club had been mismanaged on many levels for a long time and that has led to our stagnation. There is more we can do to modernise and I'm fairly confident we have goody people in to make the correct changes. At our level you have to gamble with your recruitment.

I'm not suggesting we should be challenging for the title. Far from it. This isn't even to do with Lerner having a go and failing. That we got so close to 4th and then screwed it up is pretty reflective of the club's attitude and standing for over 15 years now.

Good post.

Theres numerous factors, and a lot has changed in the last few years.I would argue that RL had  ago, then realised it was futile, because it was with the wrong manager, and then lost interest.

Sherwood seems to have revived a bit of interest, but i doubt if the big investment will be there until/if we get taken over.I expect we are in a position now where we have to keep buying players like Okores, Gil, CB, Sylla etc, and hope that they turn out to be diamonds.We can't compete with Chelsk, Arse etc, but we have to keep trying to unearth diamonds to get a bit closer.

Good post.

Theres numerous factors, and a lot has changed in the last few years.I would argue that RL had  ago, then realised it was futile, because it was with the wrong manager, and then lost interest.

Sherwood seems to have revived a bit of interest, but i doubt if the big investment will be there until/if we get taken over.I expect we are in a position now where we have to keep buying players like Okores, Gil, CB, Sylla etc, and hope that they turn out to be diamonds.We can't compete with Chelsk, Arse etc, but we have to keep trying to unearth diamonds to get a bit closer.

Okore was one of Europe's top young defensive prospects - he was highly sought after and we did well to land him. Being out for basically all of last season was a huge blow.

Agree with the rest of your post though.

Big problem is so many of our youth players over the last 5 years have come into a team in the premier league that loses more games than it wins. Weimann, Clark, Baker etc, they've all made what 100 appearences for us now and I dread to see what their winning ratios look like.

So they're used to losing, the senior players we have are used to losing and the players we bring then become used to losing.

Take Tom Cleverley. He should have a winning mentality coming from Man. United which should rub off on the players here but I think one of the things people said about his time there is that he just didn't have the self belief to belong there and we've seen that at times with him here.

Big problem is so many of our youth players over the last 5 years have come into a team in the premier league that loses more games than it wins. Weimann, Clark, Baker etc, they've all made what 100 appearences for us now and I dread to see what their winning ratios look like.

So they're used to losing, the senior players we have are used to losing and the players we bring then become used to losing.

Take Tom Cleverley. He should have a winning mentality coming from Man. United which should rub off on the players here but I think one of the things people said about his time there is that he just didn't have the self belief to belong there and we've seen that at times with him here.

This is exactly it

But to become winners you now need to fork out hundreds of millions, which we don't have. I think Sherwood was being a bit more specific in that the current crop of players have just been mentally shot to bits by the past few years. I wouldn't have described us as "losers" under Martin O'Neill. Some terrible management choices (Heskey when we needed someone like Bent, fielding stupid teams in the Europa League, etc.) saw us fall down in that era but I wouldn't say we were losers. We were still a force at that time and teams were scared to play us.

However I agree post-MON. McLeish and Lambert brought in such dour, poisonous approaches that the club and the players seem sapped of all fight. We got it back a bit under Sherwood but we seem to have reverted back. I'm confident however that, given a bit of time and investment, under Sherwood we'll be fighters. However, I just don't see that investment coming...

• Like 1

We were losers under MON because we didn't achieve what we should have.

We were comfortably 3rd with not long of the season to go and we threw it away because we didn't have the belief that we would actually do it. 

I don't buy that you need millions to instil a winning mentality. Swansea are a club of winners and they haven't thrown money around.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 2

I just hope we can shift these players because loser squad sounds way worse than the bomb squad.

Who in their right mind would buy these mentally shot players anyway? We're better of just cancelling their contracts, luckily most of them aren't on mega bucks.

We're better of just cancelling their contracts.

That's cost us exactly the same as keeping them for the duration of their contracts, but we'd never be able to use them if we were stuck, so how exactly do you maintain we're better of cancelling their contacts?

We were comfortably 3rd with not long of the season to go and we threw it away because we didn't have the belief that we would actually do it. 

I don't buy that you need millions to instil a winning mentality. Swansea are a club of winners and they haven't thrown money around.

But I don't think that's because of a losing mentality, I think poor management decisions were the reason we threw it all away and we were just totally running out of steam as we never rotated and always played players in weird positions.

With regards to Swansea, it's a good point but I think the fans have something to do with that. They love their club and the whole atmosphere there always seems to be one of endless enthusiasm, pride and belief. I think we had something similar under MON but we certainly don't have it now. Rightly or wrongly we the fans are always frustrated and angry because of our history and where we think we should be in English football and it does show and it makes the club a terrible place to be. There's such a negative atmosphere around Aston Villa these days and it's bound to affect the players.

• Like 3

But I don't think that's because of a losing mentality, I think poor management decisions were the reason we threw it all away and we were just totally running out of steam as we never rotated and always played players in weird positions.

Definitely factors but still think there's been a losing belief here for years

More because we lost the biggest winner we've had in our side since Paul McGrath. You can date our decline to the minute: Laursen's injury.

Fwiw I agree that the world isn't divided into winners and losers, but Laursen was a very special player to have, and not just because he could defend.

Edited by CrackpotForeigner
  • Like 1

To get our club in a winning mentality we need better players and win games- simple as that.

However, this shouldn't just be for the first team set-up.

Only a few years back our academy won the next-gen competition and were always there or there abouts in their U21s league and cups.

This appears to have dropped off considerably.

We need to invest in the youth set-up, getting the best young lads we can into the academy. This will help 'win' more youth competitions and breed a mentality that when old enough/good enough the younger players will continue in the first team.

I like what TS has done so far, getting the youth to train alongside the first team to show them 'what they could achieve' if they work hard.

Obviously this would not be an overnight fix but something that could be achieved over several seasons.

Edited by theboyangel

A winning mentality has to start from the top otherwise its pointless. We need a chairman with a vision and with the ability to take a loss at times to get anywhere near the top 6. The only people at the club who show they can achieve this is Sherwood, Delph, Benteke they definitely fit that mould at the current time. I think Okore and Grealish could achieve this also but this is simply not enough.

If we do indeed get sold I hope they keep Sherwood and let him mould a team. He really is our best chance of escaping this loop of despair.

With regards to Swansea, it's a good point but I think the fans have something to do with that. They love their club and the whole atmosphere there always seems to be one of endless enthusiasm, pride and belief. I think we had something similar under MON but we certainly don't have it now. Rightly or wrongly we the fans are always frustrated and angry because of our history and where we think we should be in English football and it does show and it makes the club a terrible place to be. There's such a negative atmosphere around Aston Villa these days and it's bound to affect the players.

When you spend 4/5 years battling relegation and breaking records for utter shitness along the way ( least goals scored , biggest ever loss etc ) it's hardly suprising the fan base has become somewhat toxic.I don't have the stats to hand but I imagine our record of games won at home over the last 5 years is truely horrific.The 3 teams that went down against them we recorded 2 wins.Fans need to do their bit and from when I have been to games  I have noticed alot of negativity , but they need something on the pitch to inspire them and we are rarely getting it ..

As for being losers ..in hindsight we were losers the minute we appointed MON.He was and is a relic of an old era who despite some good buys and a decent go int he league  his motivation skills eg paying average players high salaries wasn't ever going to work long term as we have found to our cost.That he left and the club continued to mess up with managerial appointments and signings just compounded the first initial failure.

...Heskey when we needed someone like Bent...

MON's biggest mistake.

Dreadful, dreadful decision.

Bent could have made Champs league qualification easy.

Though a nineteen stone Neil Shipperley would probably been more effective than Heskey.

I'm sure Ivanhoe's a lovely guy, but IMHO he was just an enormous, expensive albatross around the team's neck.

Shocking liabilty, useless **** clearing in the woods.

• Like 1

Â