Losers

StefanAVFC

The trouble with us as a club is we believe our own propaganda. Fundamentally we are a bottom half premiership side that has been mismanaged either on the pitch or in terms of owners ever since we won the European Cup. We bang on about our youth policy and we believe every bright prospect we have is the next Rooney / Milner / Ramsay when all the empirical evidence shows we are good at producing lower league players with the odd exception. That arrogance extends to how we think and would like to be perceived.

We think we are a big club and we are in terms of history we are but in the real world we are a laughing stock. The former big club that still thinks its big. No one but no one fears coming to Villa Park and playing us. More often than not we are there for the taking. I have no idea whether Sherwood is a good manager but he is spot on when he says we have a losing mentality. Players that join us are dragged down to our level of mediocrity. We need to believe in ourselves more and build on our strengths. Get rid of the time wasters and salary men and build a side around players who want to create something. Sadly that is not the work of a moment.

It is a sad condemnation that 25 years ago we were on a par with Arsenal but look how then have been managed compared to us. They are a top four side playing attractive  and inventive football and we are bunch of cloggers who have lived under the yolk of a succession of poor owners and poor managers.

Agree with what you say, Harry, but only 2 owners, and it was Doug Ellis for most of that time. Lerner has put us where we are recently, but the decline started with, and continued with, dear old Doug. 

• Like 2

For me, this is primarily to do with the owner, not the manager, coaching staff or players (although having the right quality in thise areas is clearly also important}.

Randy Lerner seems a very nice, civilsed guy and I am sure he has a high regard for the club but unfortunately he is not a winner. He is not the man to instill a the competence, vision and drive to lead us to higher achievements.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 3

Been at work all of an hour and already had 2 Arsenal and 1 Liverpool fan(s) asking "What happened, you lot didn't even show up"

Can't even argue with them.

Of course you can't, you're a loser.

the loser thing doesnt help that the club has a great history. People always say Villa is a sleeping giant, we should be doing better than we do. The club lives off its past glories at times and while the history is great it just puts too much pressure on the players from my point of view

Our tunnel is an embarrassing albatross. I reckon it fires up the opposition more than it does us.

I'd prefer it to be painted over and written over it: 'Villa - achieved nothing in over 30 years, do something about it.'

• Like 1

As a football club, you can't just accept that the circumstances are against you and you've not really got a shot at winning anything. It's reality but it's suicide to do so.

You've got to keep pushing as hard as you can regardless.

• Like 1

villa has a list of problems as we all know, one is football dna.. lets take swansea or southhampton.. they have a blueprint,a plan if you wish,they could change the manager & nothing would change as the "club" has found a way,the manager must play the way the club wants via style.

villa on the other hand is a mess , sir alex won everything with 442 & wingers-fact!

villa over the years have done well with wingers (morley/walters/young/downing/milner/daley/etc etc.

villa would be better finding a system & sticking to it..442 with wingers is proven,,whoever manages the club must follow suit,the lambert/houl/mc time was a mess on the pitch

mon took us forward with wingers-

we have 1 winger on the books now (sinclair) who didnt get the nod in cup final,

no dna-= no win

I'd say aspiring to be like Swansea City, is indicative of a losing mentality.

On the contrary, a small club achieving what they have in terms of league position, has been a small wonder, also factoring in how many managers they have had.

Hear, hear. Like it or not in terms of modern football and its £££ we are far, far nearer Swansea than Arsenal or Manchester United. Sorry to say that but it's true. If well run there is no reason why Villa can't be a solid mid table side. That's the best case scenario for me.I would be delighted if we came 11th next season.

as i said in the sherwood thread, we only managed to win one league game by a margin of more than one goal all season at sunderland. that is simply not good enough and does suggest the current squad are "losers"

huge summer rebuilding job needed otherwise i see this season being our final one as premier league club.

It's not about whether we're closer to Swansea or Arsenal. It's about whether we're just going to accept our current position. To do so is what makes us losers.

What do you want us to do? 

We've danced with relegation almost every season since MON left. The stats from our last three seasons aren't exactly promising, last time we played this badly, conceded as many goals and created as few per game was 87. We've been really lucky to avoid the drop recently, only helped by the failings of the teams around us at the bottom.

For me, this is primarily to do with the owner, not the manager, coaching staff or players (although having the right quality in thise areas is clearly also important}.

Randy Lerner seems a very nice, civilsed guy and I am sure he has a high regard for the club but unfortunately he is not a winner. He is not the man to instill a the competence, vision and drive to lead us to higher achievements.

He now has little to do with the day to day running of the club. So while your point was valid in the past, it's moot now.

We've danced with relegation almost every season since MON left. The stats from our last three seasons aren't exactly promising, last time we played this badly, conceded as many goals and created as few per game was 87. We've been really lucky to avoid the drop recently, only helped by the failings of the teams around us at the bottom.

I don't think that's really the case this season. In fairness we did start picking up results from March onwards.

It's hard to underestimate just how shit we were though from September to March though.

• Like 1

I don't think that's really the case this season. In fairness we did start picking up results from March onwards.

It's hard to underestimate just how shit we were though from September to March though.

That's a fair comment. The run in March helped us greatly, But we still only finished 3pts above hull, behind on GD. If they had scraped a single win more during their season it would have spelt disaster for ours.

That's a fair comment. The run in March helped us greatly, But we still only finished 3pts above hull, behind on GD. If they had scraped a single win more during their season it would have spelt disaster for ours.

Yeah but equally if we hadn't won a couple of those key games towards the end we would've been the ones going down.

For me, this season was almost the opposite of the last. Whereas last season we built up our points reasonably well throughout the first two thirds of the season (we had 34 points after the Chelsea victory in mid March) before collapsing spectacularly at the end, this season we were in deep trouble going into the last couple of months and then pulled ourselves out of it with almost half a dozen important wins.

It seems like every season we alternate between doing ok in the beginning and then collapsing at the end or doing shit in the beginning and pulling ourselves out at the end.

2010/11 - Very poor first half of the season followed by a decent end to get us up to 9th

2011/12 - Ok start, collapsed towards the end and didn't win a game after March

2012/13 - Very poor start, amazing run of form from about March onwards

2013/14 - Ok for the first two thirds, collapsed after March

2014/15 - Aside from the first 4 games we were unbelievably shit up until March when we started winning a lot more

Edited by Mantis

He now has little to do with the day to day running of the club. So while your point was valid in the past, it's moot now.

I think that makes my point quite eloquently. I don't think he ever really had muich to do with the day to day running of the club but when he came he provided a vision of where we should be heading and what we should aspire to. That vision proved to be empty and now we have nothing to aim for. The guy at the top needs top provide the vision and leadership.

How does that work? He's the owner of the club. The fact he doesn't want anything to do with us and admits he should have sold up years ago shows the negative impact he's had on this club and continues to have.

Yeah but equally if we hadn't won a couple of those key games towards the end we would've been the ones going down.

I can't argue with what you're saying. My point is we've been one result away from relegation for the last few seasons. Whether it's due to opponents dropping points or us getting them, we've struggled to get the magic 40pts target for safety, and simply put its just not good enough.
  • Like 1

Â