The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

50 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Genuinely? 

I mean, I'm expecting riots this summer anyway, but I'm surprised this is such an emotive issue. I get the impression that local politics generally raise the heckles of a very small number of people in comfortable wool. If Andy Street were found to be on the take I'm sure the reaction of a good half of the people in the Midlands would be "Who?".

Local politics in Liverpool is followed much more closely in my experience. But you also have local folklore such as "The Tories want Liverpool to rot / hate Liverpool" etc which is based on the memo sent to Thatcher buy Douglas Herd (?) about leaving Liverpool to a "managed decline." This is widely believed to be "Thatcher wanted to place Liverpool in to a managed decline", which is a myth propagated by Labour and the left. It doesn't matter that it isn't true and Thatcher decided not to take that approach, even appointing Hessletine as Minister for Merseyside and that Hessletine did some very good things for the city. That bit gets ignored because Labour have perpetuated this myth for decades and more so in the later years.

I don't think the people of Liverpool will take being run by commissioners very lightly because it will mean cuts to essential services, which to the Labour administration's credit they have been doing the best they can with their funding to keep open.

Liverpool genuinely hates Tories like no other place. We have Tories in Liverpool, they call themselves Liberals

The youth on the whole do not notice local politics but they still use Tory as the ultimate insult to those they don't like. This will be big news and it will only encourage the mindless to riot (along with any other reason pushed their way, like the Policing Bill). We've already seen Bristol going off yesterday and if the '80s and more recent times show us anything, once that behaviour starts in one city, it will spread across many metropolitan areas. In the '80s Liverpool kicked that off and I wouldn't be shocked if it did it again.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, blandy said:

That would be really worrying.

Agreed, which is why I think Labour have tried to pick candidates for Mayor as distanced as possible from the current and former Cabinets. Both candidates are relatively new Councillors, one was only elected in 2019 and the other, possibly the favourite, is still in his twenties and hasn't been a Councillor too long at all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think we're in for a summer of rioting one way or another anyway, there's a lot of latent energy, a lot of division, a lot of anger, a lot of poverty, if it's sunny it'll be 2011 again.

I think it has the potential to be more 1981 than 2011, its a bit like Spurs and the FA Cup this

• Like 2

Just now, bickster said:

My thought on this also,  has the potential.  If it's a mega hot summer it could go up like that easily.

1 unseen protester goes under the wheels of something and dies then anything could happen as an example,  its that easy. No matter who is at fault.

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Genuinely? 

I mean, I'm expecting riots this summer anyway, but I'm surprised this is such an emotive issue. I get the impression that local politics generally raise the heckles of a very small number of people in comfortable wool. If Andy Street were found to be on the take I'm sure the reaction of a good half of the people in the Midlands would be "Who?".

That'll cut him to the bone. He likes to let the entire region know how good he is.

Spotted! A rare example in the wild of a leader (of sorts) being 20+ points ahead:

This is roughly how difficult it is for anyone ever to be 20+ points ahead; an election in a limited geographical area stacked with your supporters, running against the most inept candidate of all time.

11 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Spotted! A rare example in the wild of a leader (of sorts) being 20+ points ahead:

This is roughly how difficult it is for anyone ever to be 20+ points ahead; an election in a limited geographical area stacked with your supporters, running against the most inept candidate of all time.

You just described every Mayoral election in Liverpool

39 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I thought he was a tory. I did. 

I'm sure he'd be very happy to hear you say it, since the intention is clearly to leave no room between the parties whatsoever on the topic of this protest.

If you asked him to articulate a clear explanation of the difference between the 'extreme pressure' the police were under in this video (a bit of shoving and some placards) and the extreme pressure the police claimed they were under at the Everard vigil the other night, doubtless Perkins would be completely unable to do it, though of course he's probably changed 180 degrees on policing tactics over the weekend.

If this seems confused and inconsistent, it's because he has no real opinion about police tactics at all. The point is to draw a bright line between 'acceptable' protesters (middle class white women worried about their safety from violent crime) and 'unacceptable' protesters (lefties, students, people undermining Labour's carefully-calibrated acceptance of civil liberties restrictions). In turn, this makes more sense if we remember that the historical purpose of the Labour party is to define the leftmost bound of acceptable political discourse in the UK, and that the role of the party right is to drag that bound rightwards, ensuring the state is not to be discomfited.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Every time I see it, it makes me giggle that Peter UKIP is running for the Gammons party.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

the historical purpose of the Labour party is to define the leftmost bound of acceptable political discourse in the UK, and that the role of the party right is to drag that bound rightwards, ensuring the state is not to be discomfited.

I can think of no polite reply to that assertion at all!

10 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think we're in for a summer of rioting one way or another anyway, there's a lot of latent energy, a lot of division, a lot of anger, a lot of poverty, if it's sunny it'll be 2011 again.

I agree and it's inevitable. Ultimately though, when the government clamps down on peaceful protests, they shouldn't be surprised when protests become less peaceful.

Â