The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

On 22/03/2021 at 19:52, Davkaus said:

I agree and it's inevitable. Ultimately though, when the government clamps down on peaceful protests, they shouldn't be surprised when protests become less peaceful.

The alternative to that is, the violent the protests / riots the more the "general" population will support further draconian laws suppressing their own freedom

• Like 1

Also worth reading on the Liverpool Problem is Peter Kilfoyle's Blog (Former Labour MP for Walton)

As you'll see from this extract, the investigation might centre on Liverpool but it isn't solely restricted to Merseyside. This corruption goes wider than that and brings in Unite, Len McLusky and even Birmingham

A series of reports in “The Times” have opened up a fresh line of enquiry which potentially reaches back to Mayor Anderson. It is a saga concerning mega-union Unite which has strong local connections and traditions. The last two leaders of the union – Woodley and McCluskey – hail respectively from the Wirral and from Liverpool. What their legendary predecessor, Jack Jones (also from Liverpool) would make of the allegations being made about his beloved union can only be imagined. The whole sorry tale revolves around the award of a huge union building contract in Birmingham to Liverpudlian Paul Flanagan, a close friend of Joe Anderson and Len McCluskey.

Moreover, a sub-contract on the project was awarded to a company owned by Anderson’s son, David. He, in turn, had appointed as managing director of his company (Safety Support Consultants) a man fresh out of prison after being sent down for ten years for slashing someone with a Stanley knife. One can only hazard a guess as to what view of Liverpool and the wider city-region results from such connections.

Of course, a great deal depends on matters being considered and resolved far away from the banks of the Mersey. Firstly, the national executive committee of Unite will undoubtedly be scrutinising the Liverpool connection to the Birmingham project which is alleged to have cost their members millions of pounds . An upcoming election of a successor to McCluskey as Unite’s general secretary, is certain to see the issue weaponised against McCluskey’s favoured candidate, another man from the Wirral. Yet this issue will not remain in Birmingham. It goes to the heart of deals done in the Liverpool City Region.

In direct and practical political terms, the considerations of the national Labour Party leadership will have an even greater impact on the future prospects of the city-region. The scandals afflicting Liverpool have a toxic effect on the Labour “brand” across all six boroughs of the city-region, and beyond. The national party will not be unaware of that fact. It seems to me – and probably to them – that the Labour group on the city council is either unwilling or unable to rectify matters. In my view, they ought to have pre-empted the Lib Dem call for consultation on the city’s governance structure, with a straightforward move for a referendum on the future of the mayoralty. The idea that a current councillor might simply pick up where Anderson has left off, is unacceptable. The alleged leading lights on the council have either turned a Nelsonian blind eye to what has been happening, or were so inept as to fail to recognise the consistent malfeasance. Now I see that Labour List is suggesting a potential woman candidate whose last council activity was hallmarked by her breaking every rule and standing order governing Labour councillors!! Whatever the case, they are all unfit for the role. Does the city need a new mayor, never mind want one? It may end up as a decision for Keir Starmer.

The above extract is from a post he made on 21st January 2021, some time after Chippy Tit's arrest but considerably before the report was published. Kilfoyle is well connected and even though he's no left winger, he can't be considered a Blairite either. He opposed the war in Iraq, he opposed the replacement of Trident and called for a Labour Leadership election in 2008. He's also not a hard left Labour member either, I seem to recall from back when I was involved he was quite voiciferous in his opposition to Hatton et al.

Anyway, worth a read on the subject. I think the last sentence of the extract probably refers to Anna Rothery though I can't be sure

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Good luck with that.

The Labour Party did make a decision on the very issue your quote was refering to amid derision at the time both here and nationally. The developments since then would also suggest that decision whilst not perfect was made for a reason not stated by any of the candidates or their respective supporters at the time because they couldn't face up to the fact they they were all totally unsuitable for the role due to their previous complicity with Chippy Tits. Labour / Starmer could be said to not only have made a decision, they made a decision that wouldn't be liked locally (or nationally) but it will turn out to be the correct decision given what has now unfolded.

• Like 1

Who is briefing this?

Shadow cabinet ministers are understood to be among those who have concerns that Starmer is losing crucial momentum at the end of his first year in office, with several MPs calling for more experience to be injected into his team to spell out “what Keir is for”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/mar/28/labour-mps-raise-fears-over-keir-starmers-lack-of-grip

I mean, when we voted for Starmer to lead, we expected that if we couldn't have decent left leaning policies, or a stark difference in leader to the Tory option, that we would at least have some competency up top. This article blames all their problems on appeasing the hard left - I mean, this is absolute madness, the literal opposite has happened. There is some serious panic going on amongst the shadow cabinet and I fully expect it to be the work of the snakes which Starmer decided to leave in place. 

Agreed, that'd be scandalous if it was while Corbyn was still leader, but them wanting some stock images of Labour supporters when there hasn't been a chance to have big gathering under the current Leader's term isn't some big conspiracy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jareth said:

Who is briefing this?

Shadow cabinet ministers are understood to be among those who have concerns that Starmer is losing crucial momentum at the end of his first year in office, with several MPs calling for more experience to be injected into his team to spell out “what Keir is for”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/mar/28/labour-mps-raise-fears-over-keir-starmers-lack-of-grip

I mean, when we voted for Starmer to lead, we expected that if we couldn't have decent left leaning policies, or a stark difference in leader to the Tory option, that we would at least have some competency up top. This article blames all their problems on appeasing the hard left - I mean, this is absolute madness, the literal opposite has happened. There is some serious panic going on amongst the shadow cabinet and I fully expect it to be the work of the snakes which Starmer decided to leave in place. 

I think it is a tough time to be in opposition isn't it. The roll out of the vaccine is going as well as it could be and probably better than anyone hoped especially when compared with pretty much every other country in the world. Off the back of that the Government are riding a wave. Any hint of bringing up all the failings from pre pandemic in how we were unprepared, and during it in terms of care homes, PPE, test and trace, late lockdowns, amount of deaths, the Tories brush off with it is not the time for that we'll have an enquiry when it is over etc etc. 

Starmer did okay at the start in attacking the Government when we had the PPE issues, care home failings etc but he never went in hard enough possibily due to fear of being accused of trying to garner political gain from a crisis. He has missed so many open goals though.

I don't know what Labour stand for anymore quite frankly and I doubt we'll get to see what they stand for until we are out the other side of the pandemic, or at least living normally with it, and then you'd hope to see a big divide in terms of policies between the Tories and Labour on how the money is going to be paid back etc, tax rises, funding for public services, addressing the social care and environmental crisis etc etc. If they go down the Tory light route then they'll get nowhere. 

Edited by markavfc40

3 hours ago, bickster said:

What is your issue with that? It seems that something completely trivial has floored you

Yeah nothing wrong here, pretty standard really, corporate world, charity, politics, reusing images and updating - it’s fairly standard, especially in the current climate where mass crowd gatherings haven’t happened.

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Agreed, that'd be scandalous if it was while Corbyn was still leader, but them wanting some stock images of Labour supporters when there hasn't been a chance to have big gathering under the current Leader's term isn't some big conspiracy.

Was there a reason they couldn't have just used it then? Changing a sign in a photo of a crowd to read "Labour" isn't going to be the thing that flips the vote of any Brexit Party racists in Hartlepool or beyond. 

For some reason those in control spent much of 2016 -2019 desperately pretending the Blair and Brown years didn't happen. Now they seem desperate to bleach clean any reference to Corbyn ever even existing. 

Neither of those things are scandalous or shocking. But they are both still a bit pathetic. 

7 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Was there a reason they couldn't have just used it then? Changing a sign in a photo of a crowd to read "Labour" isn't going to be the thing that flips the vote of any Brexit Party racists in Hartlepool or beyond. 

For some reason those in control spent much of 2016 -2019 desperately pretending the Blair and Brown years didn't happen. Now they seem desperate to bleach clean any reference to Corbyn ever even existing. 

Neither of those things are scandalous or shocking. But they are both still a bit pathetic. 

My presumption was they changed the sign so supporters of the previous leader couldn't say "That was about C-Word not Starmer." A kind of bizarre damned if you do damned if you don't, microscopically unimportant thing that headbangers would kick off about, yet is ultimately meaningless.

Such is the over-analysis of anything on the left, twas bound to happen.

Also the account tweeting it is a self identiying anarchist who joined Labour (aparently there's a blog post that outlines his reasons but I'm already quite cheery today so don't need the giggles)

4 hours ago, bickster said:

What is your issue with that? It seems that something completely trivial has floored you

Personally, I don't find it trivial. The picture has been selected because its a great shot of enthusiastic Labour folks - only trouble is they're there to cheer on the guy who we were told was antisemitic and is now not allowed to represent the party at all. I find that phoney. If they need a crowd shot and can't get one cos Covid, why go back only 2 years? There's a whole catalogue of shots in their press archives. I suggest this one -

51DPWE4QXCL._SX352_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I don't think there's much in it, but Starmer gives you so little to actually judge that anything that looks like he believes in something is of interest, even if his only interest is in hating the old guy.

Of more importance is replacing the shadow chancellor which looks like it's about to happen. Apparently it's her fault that Labour are collapsing in the polls.

7 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Personally, I don't find it trivial. The picture has been selected because its a great shot of enthusiastic Labour folks - only trouble is they're there to cheer on the guy who we were told was antisemitic and is now not allowed to represent the party at all. I find that phoney.

How very Life of Brian

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Of more importance is replacing the shadow chancellor which looks like it's about to happen. Apparently it's her fault that Labour are collapsing in the polls.

This must be the new plan to bring in a 'big figure' as mentioned in the Guardian article - I wonder who it'll be

Â