The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

You know you're fooked when the Guardian's biggest Blairite is saying -

After these elections, prospects of a 1997-style landslide look remote, but just removing this government would be enough

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/may/06/keir-starmer-local-election-results-labour-general-election

"Labour is in charge in Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle and Norwich, too."

Norwich? You're listing large cities with Labour control and you choose Norwich? Anything to avoid mentioning Birmingham eh? Typical Guardian.

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

You know you're fooked when the Guardian's biggest Blairite is saying -

After these elections, prospects of a 1997-style landslide look remote, but just removing this government would be enough

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/may/06/keir-starmer-local-election-results-labour-general-election

Anyone seriously expecting a 1997 style landslide needed their heads checked out. Labour could run the best candidate in the world and still wouldn’t get it now the SNP have Scotland locked up.

If Starmer is leading the next government in any form, he’ll have done an excellent job.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, colhint said:

If and i don't know the outcome, but if he does end up in a fine he will be in a right pickle. Obviously Tories can't call for him to resign, but all of the media on him calling for Boris to go will be played over and over.

That's why I don't understand why Tories are pushing it so much. He either ends up being found guilty and resigns, which makes Boris look bad, or he's found not guilty, which makes Boris look bad

5 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

That's why I don't understand why Tories are pushing it so much. He either ends up being found guilty and resigns, which makes Boris look bad, or he's found not guilty, which makes Boris look bad

It's because in the short term it gives them something to shout about. They don't care what tomorrow may bring, and if it is inconvenient, they will simply lie about it or shout about something different. It's a shitty playbook, but it's really all they have (aside from shovelling money from taxpayers into the hands of the stupidly wealthy, but even the Tories know they can't actually campaign on that).

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

And given that Starmer's style doesn't seem to really be cutting through with large parts of the country, but nor is there enough going wrong to warrant a change, Starmer being forced to resign at this stage in the cycle might not be a terrible outcome either.

8 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Starmer being forced to resign at this stage in the cycle might not be a terrible outcome either.

Apart from the Elephant in the room that they really don't have anyone of the right calibre to replace him

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

Apart from the Elephant in the room that they really don't have anyone of the right calibre to replace him

Andy Burnham? He seems like pretty much the anti-Johnson.

3 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Andy Burnham? He seems like pretty much the anti-Johnson.

Impossible. He's not an MP and you have to be to be Leader of the Labour Party. He also can't be an MP and Mayor of Manchester as the role includes being Police and Crime Commisioner and you can't hold another elected position and be PCC

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Impossible. He's not an MP and you have to be to be Leader of the Labour Party

Ah yes, I think I was aware of that. It's a shame.

22 minutes ago, bickster said:

Perhaps - but it's not as if Starmer was the reincarnation of Attlee when he came in. 

The cleansing that he's done, you'd hope that someone like Nandy / Streeting wouldn't lose the support that Starmer has already recovered and might just have a bit more personality to add some more. 

The obvious downside would be three months of Burgon and Long-Bailey shouting about Corbyn all over again, which admittedly could ruin it all.

• Like 3

Keir isnt a bad labour leader to be honest. However if he is found to have broken the rules like johnson does makes him look like a complete imbecile as people will same they all the say and this could encourage more people not to vote.

Like bicks say who do they go for if he goes. Rayner would be a disaster. Lammy? Streeting? Reeves?

Edited by Demitri_C

13 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

I’d stand my ground if I was Starmer. Let the Tories call for his sacking but just say I’ll go if Boris goes. 

Thata not going to happen as he said he wouldnt rssign and would lead labour into the next election 🤦‍♂️

But what you said is exactly what i would do to get rid of bojo

18 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

I’d stand my ground if I was Starmer. Let the Tories call for his sacking but just say I’ll go if Boris goes. 

What he should do if fined is not resign citing the precedent set by Boris and Sunak, but instead offer to resign if all members of the Tory party who have been fined also resign. Putting all the pressure on them and giving them an impossible choice. 

If only he and Boris went I'd suspect a fair few Tories would actually be quite happy with that. It damages Labour and removes a problem for them by allowing a new leader to come in and to move forward with a clean slate. 

• Like 1

It seems to me that the biggest problem Labour have if no rules were broken, is that the lines they're using are exactly the defence Boris was using - all rules were followed, they were no parties, it was a work event. Of course, Boris was absolutely full of shit, lying every step of the way, but even if Labour's denials are accurate and truthful, it continues the "they're all the same" narrative, which is absolutely infuriating.

• Like 2

Â