Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Agreed. He's not good enough to be first choice and we have enough cover at right back.

We could do with a first choice right back if Richards is going to be a centreback, but Glenn Johnson is not that player.

Bunn confirmed by the club on twitter.

Its funny how quick we can get a signing like this tied up.  Smoke and mirrors folks, buy those season tickets!

A free agent you mean? With no need for a work permit? And probably just happy to play in the premier league so wouldn't have massive wage demands?

Not really that funny :)

• Like 2

Its funny how quick we can get a signing like this tied up.  Smoke and mirrors folks, buy those season tickets!

You honestly think Gueye, Praet, Amavi and Chery are the kind of 'big name signings' that will convince fence sitters to buy a new season ticket??  :blink:

You honestly think Gueye, Praet, Amavi and Chery are the kind of 'big name signings' that will convince fence sitters to buy a new season ticket??  :blink:

Oyv neva even urd ov um - bet they're all shit loike 

• Like 4

I'd rather not take a punt on Johnson or Giudetti. Not saying they aren't necessarily bad players who could do a job for us but this summer more than any other of recent memory I actually feel like the hierarchy has a transfer strategy in place. I'd rather they stick with that focus, rather than chance it on players they didn't highlight as part of their strategy.

I think Johnson would still ask for a highest wage. If West Ham can't agree another deal for Jenkinson with Arsenal I can see that making some sense. Probably why the media is running with it.

Shows how much time I have these dayside actually follow the news - didn't even know Jenkinson had signed for another season long loan. Whoops.

At the end of the season everyone was disillusioned with yet another year of austerity and relegation threat under Lerner.  Allot are talking about refusing to renew their season tickets because he is not investing and the small squad is full of rubbish.  People were feeling they were being taken for a ride.  So how do Villa get people to start buying season tickets… they put names out there that people will get excited about thinking things are changing.  Longer these names remain out their without signing the more it looks to me like this is the case.

Things might be changing but after the past few years please forgive me for being cynical.  Mr Bunn signing must be the Big Club thing Fox is banging on about!

At the end of the season everyone was disillusioned with yet another year of austerity and relegation threat under Lerner.  Allot are talking about refusing to renew their season tickets because he is not investing and the small squad is full of rubbish.  People were feeling they were being taken for a ride.  So how do Villa get people to start buying season tickets… they put names out there that people will get excited about thinking things are changing.  Longer these names remain out their without signing the more it looks to me like this is the case.

Things might be changing but after the past few years please forgive me for being cynical.  Mr Bunn signing must be the Big Club thing Fox is banging on about!

I appreciate all of that but again, Do you think the names we've been linked with are big enough to make people who aren't going to renew change their mind?

I'm going to be honest, I play Football Manager and watch random European football (I blame BT Sport for this) probably more than is actually healthy so I have heard of Gueye and Praet but Amavi and Chery are names that are new to me. My point is this isn't the Wesley Sneijder, Carlo Ancelotti level of rumor, these are players playing for mid tables teams (slightly higher in Gueye's case) and in fairly average leagues. Not the kind of high profile signings that would have your average football fan jumping out of their seats.

Not smoke and mirrors IMO.

Edited by sexbelowsound

I appreciate all of that but again, Do you think the names we've been linked with are big enough to make people who aren't going to renew change their mind?

I'm going to be honest, I play Football Manager and watch random European football (I blame BT Sport for this) probably more than is actually healthy so I have heard of Gueye and Praet but Amavi and Chery are names that are new to me. My point is this isn't the Wesley Sneijder, Carlo Ancelotti level of rumor, these are players playing for mid tables teams (slightly higher in Gueye's case) and in fairly average leagues. Not the kind of high profile signings that would have your average football fan jumping out of their seats.

Not smoke and mirrors IMO.

To be honest, I do yes.  We are buying 3 or 4 players at 6-9 mill each then people will see that things have changed from previous seasons and will give them heart.  Being realistic nobody at Villa would expect Sneijder etc so it will probably be to obvious if they released rumours like that :)  Its just a change in the previous seasons dealings that people want and to compete as a Prem team in the transfer market.  

I hope im wrong but id be very surprised if we get more than one of the 5-6 players who have got their own thread opened on here over the past 2 weeks.  Things imo arent changing.

Fair enough, we'll have to agree to disagree.  :)

So i'll ask you this, what do you reckon Villa will spend on transfers this window, given that Benteke and Delph both stay?

I can't answer that because I don't have the deep knowledge that others have of the clubs finances. Nobody really knows whats going on behind the scenes and I agree with Omar when he says its hard not to be cynical about Villa under Lerner but I still don't think the players we're being linked with are out of our reach financially or in terms of quality. Therefore I don't see it as a ploy from the club to con people into renewing.

I'd rather not take a punt on Johnson or Giudetti. Not saying they aren't necessarily bad players who could do a job for us but this summer more than any other of recent memory I actually feel like the hierarchy has a transfer strategy in place. I'd rather they stick with that focus, rather than chance it on players they didn't highlight as part of their strategy.

I think Johnson would still ask for a highest wage. If West Ham can't agree another deal for Jenkinson with Arsenal I can see that making some sense. Probably why the media is running with it.

Me too, Johnson is a terrible player and Guidetti for me hasn't done anything. 8 goals in 24 games in Scotland is pretty shite, however Guidetti is going to Celta Vigo