Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Not a bad squad if we can get these guys in - and keep the main group together...

Begovic

(Guzan)

Richards  Vlaar  Clark  Amavi

(Hutton)  (Okore)  (Baker)  (Richardson)

Sanchez  Gueye  Delph

(Gardner)  (Westwood)  

Grealish  Gil

(N'Zogbia)  (Sinclair)  (Gabby)  (Praet)  (Cole)

Benteke

(Kozak)  (Robinson)

I'm confident that squad could compete for mid table - maybe even more if we found some consistent form and some better luck with injuries. A lot depends on whether we can keep the Beast and Delph though, and to a lesser extent Vlaar. I still wouldn't be sure about lining up with Hutton first choice rb and Richards in the centre.  

I'd certainly be feeling sprightly come the start of the season if all these deals came off though. 

Grealish and Gil instead of Praet? Seriously?

I just find it highly odd that suddenly we have all this money to spend. To me it says that Benteke and/or Delph will be leaving and we're spending the money before other teams know we have it to spend, which is probably a wise thing to do.

It really doesn't. This is the sort of money it is normal to spend on players, it is just that we have been falling behind in the transfer market, and spending only trifling amounts.

• Like 3

Not a bad squad if we can get these guys in - and keep the main group together...

Begovic

(Guzan)

Richards  Vlaar  Clark  Amavi

(Hutton)  (Okore)  (Baker)  (Richardson)

Sanchez  Gueye  Delph

(Gardner)  (Westwood)  

Grealish  Gil

(N'Zogbia)  (Sinclair)  (Gabby)  (Praet)  (Cole)

Benteke

(Kozak)  (Robinson)

I'm confident that squad could compete for mid table - maybe even more if we found some consistent form and some better luck with injuries. A lot depends on whether we can keep the Beast and Delph though, and to a lesser extent Vlaar. I still wouldn't be sure about lining up with Hutton first choice rb and Richards in the centre.  

I'd certainly be feeling sprightly come the start of the season if all these deals came off though. 

Grealish and Gil instead of Praet? Seriously?

Possibly Praet ahead of them, I have to admit I don't know him well enough to comment. Either way we'd have decent options. 

I just find it highly odd that suddenly we have all this money to spend. To me it says that Benteke and/or Delph will be leaving and we're spending the money before other teams know we have it to spend, which is probably a wise thing to do.

It really doesn't. This is the sort of money it is normal to spend on players, it is just that we have been falling behind in the transfer market, and spending only trifling amounts.

1st, I'm fed up of post starting like yours "It really doesn't" it doesn't mean you're right.

The reason many of us believe this is nothing has changed, we are still a broke ass club so this money is coming from somewhere and it's not much of a jump to link it to the sale of player's.

Don't give me the new owners rubbish either, if they exist then they will only spend when they take over, no way would Lerner run the risk of spending money he doesn't have when they could walk away.

1st, I'm fed up of post starting like yours "It really doesn't" it doesn't mean you're right.

The reason many of us believe this is nothing has changed, we are still a broke ass club so this money is coming from somewhere and it's not much of a jump to link it to the sale of player's.

Don't give me the new owners rubbish either, if they exist then they will only spend when they take over, no way would Lerner run the risk of spending money he doesn't have when they could walk away.

Exactly, while the Lerner takeover was almost done we still signed Petrov & I remember the hold up was Ellis wanted Lerner to fund it. Which he didn't, have I remembered that right? Edited by mightysasquatch

I am amazed that a perfectly innocuous phrase offends you, and of course it is not about being right.

What I am saying is that with reference to the bolded comment, that comment has no basis in fact, and in my opinion is an unlikely scenario.

To me it is more likely that Lerner has decided to open his wallet.

And I did not mention new owners, but I agree with what you say relating to that.

I am amazed that a perfectly innocuous phrase offends you, and of course it is not about being right.

What I am saying is that with reference to the bolded comment, that comment has no basis in fact, and in my opinion is an unlikely scenario.

To me it is more likely that Lerner has decided to open his wallet.

And I did not mention new owners, but I agree with what you say relating to that.

Lol doesn't offend me it's just irritating that a lot of posters are using it to make their point, 1st world issue though lol

I truly hope that Lerner has realised that if he doesn't spend we are going to go down but I can't help thinking it no coincidence that it appears Benteke will be sold just when the club start spending. If so then I'm happy with that because 30m odd will buy us some very good players.

Begovic

(Guzan)

Richards Vlaar Clark Amavi

(Hutton) (Okore) (Baker) (Richardson)

Sanchez Gueye Delph

(Gardner) (Westwood)

Grealish Gil

(N'Zogbia) (Sinclair) (Gabby) (Praet) (Cole)

Benteke

(Kozak) (Robinson)

Still think we need another striker in whether tekkers stays or not, maybe a loan or something
  • Like 1

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/07/05/report-aston-villa-pursue-barnsley-defender-mason-holgate-sherwo/?utm_medium=share+service&utm_campaign=social+media&utm_source=twitter&utm_content=HITCdeadlineday

According to The Sun, Aston Villa are set to make a £1m bid for Barnsley full back Mason Holgate this summer, as Tim Sherwood bids to improve his defence.

Villa have sold Matt Lowton to Burnley already this summer, and manager Sherwood is looking to bring in full backs on both sides of the pitch to aid his back line.

The Sun believe that Barnsley teenager Mason Holgate is Sherwood's latest target, with the 18-year-old right back emerging as a potential arrival this summer.

Teenager Holgate has emerged in the Barnsley first team over the last year, playing 22 games in all competitions last season as one of the most promising young players in League One.

Now though, the report states that Sherwood is willing to pay around £1m to lure Holgate to Villa Park this summer, which could be enough to seal the deal.

Holgate, 18, is a pacey defender who is versatile enough to play at right back as well as centre back, and certainly has potential to become a star in years to come.

Given his inexperience, Holgate is one for the future and would be unlikely to make a real impact in the Villa first team straight away, but Sherwood's ability to develop young players could be ideal for Holgate.

Sherwood has helped youngsters at Tottenham and Villa in the past, and Holgate could find the aspect of his management appealing should Villa make a bid this summer.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/07/03/report-newcastle-and-aston-villa-keen-on-signing-reading-forward/

Newcastle United and Aston Villa are two of the three teams keeping an eye on Reading youngster Aaron Thsibola’s situation at the Madjeski Stadium.

Bizarrely, the third club interested in Thsibola are League Two Hartlepool United – although they merely want to renew the loan deal by which they took the 20-year-old to the seaside town last season, rather than complete a permanent move as the two Premier League sides are targeting.
The Daily Mirror claim that the former England Under-18 midfielder is one of a number of targets that both the Villans and the Magpies are chasing, with Charlie Austin another player interesting the two sides.
Reading’s Tshibola is an intriguing target, however, and it is clear that the Championship side would rather send him back out on loan to Hartlepool rather than lose him permanently to a Premier League side.
Yet both Newcastle and Villa believe a deal could be completed for the midfielder this summer.
The 20-year-old made his Reading first-team debut in 2013 having progressed up from the club’s academy but has made just one Championship appearance to date.
He did impress while on loan at Hartlepool in League Two last season though, making 23 appearances and showing his athletic ability.
Thsibola also lifted the Under-21 Premier League Cup with Reading in 2013-14.

Lower league links, phew, back to normality :)

I'm genuinely excited about how our team might look next season. Sherwood is appearing to be ruthless in his shaping of our squad, and we are probably going to see 4 or 5 new players in the first eleven, at least.

It's exciting in the same way that Lambert's first pre-season was. It's the uncertainty of it all, that we could be (once again) leaping into the unknown, where the fear of another relegation battle feels just as likely as a shock battle for a Europa League position.

• Like 2

Exactly, while the Lerner takeover was almost done we still signed Petrov & I remember the hold up was Ellis wanted Lerner to fund it. Which he didn't, have I remembered that right?
No Lerner guaranteed the payment for petrov before the takeover was final. Ellis would never use his own money and as the club was in the middle of a takeover villas bankers would not allow them to spend as we were would you believe it in debt! Edited by nazvfc
  • Like 1

Why is Vlaar in these squads/teams? Have I missed something on him signing a contract?

No you have not. I think it is just that the nearer we come to the players returning for pre-season the more likely it seems that Ron will be among them given he has yet to find another club that he would rather play for. 

Lower league links, phew, back to normality :)

I'm genuinely excited about how our team might look next season. Sherwood is appearing to be ruthless in his shaping of our squad, and we are probably going to see 4 or 5 new players in the first eleven, at least.

It's exciting in the same way that Lambert's first pre-season was. It's the uncertainty of it all, that we could be (once again) leaping into the unknown, where the fear of another relegation battle feels just as likely as a shock battle for a Europa League position.

it's because he is also trying to make the u21 squad better, not impressed with the current crop I'd say
  • Like 1

Begovic being linked again today. 10m

Thought the deal to Chelsea was nearly done for 8m? Can't understand a keeper wanting to sit on the bench only for money, surely coming to Villa as number 1 and a healthy wage would be a lot more appealing.