Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

So three bids, of which if you believe the media being Amavi (nothing since the bid has been reported) secondly Begovic bid rejected (from warming the bench at Stoke to warming it at Chelsea) & the Chery bid also rejected.

While we all understand the process of getting a good deal sometimes you just have to go in with a good/strong offer. If we keep doing this we will continue to miss out. Can't imganine him turning us down unless there's other after him with better prospects.

Not the way anyone does things; even clubs with money do not go in at the price they expect to get a player for, I would think.

So three bids, of which if you believe the media being Amavi (nothing since the bid has been reported) secondly Begovic bid rejected (from warming the bench at Stoke to warming it at Chelsea) & the Chery bid also rejected.

While we all understand the process of getting a good deal sometimes you just have to go in with a good/strong offer. If we keep doing this we will continue to miss out. Can't imganine him turning us down unless there's other after him with better prospects.

It's still very early in the window, if this isn't the time where you can be patient and look for good deals then there isn't one.

• Like 1

Chelsea tabled a £6million bid for Asmir Begovic on Monday as they prepare to replace Petr Cech.

Jose Mourinho has made his move for the Stoke City goalkeeper and is hopeful of signing Begovic this week after extensive negotiations between the two clubs on Monday.

Stoke have rejected the opening offer and are holding out for a figure over £8million while they are also interested in taking a player on loan next season.

But Chelsea are expected to return with an improved bid nearer Stoke's valuation and want to complete a deal in the next 48 hours.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/transfers/11706739/Chelsea-make-6m-bid-for-Asmir-Begovic-of-Stoke-City.html

The window is still yet to even officially open. We are being patient and trying to maximise our spend. I don't see the problem with that. As for Amavi, we had the offered accepted - an offer more substantial than that offered by Lyon - the player just wasn't keen.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 1

Chery bossed it against us in that friendly although we were woeful. If we could get him for £5m or less it would be good business and I also like the fact that he is 27 and is not some unproven kid.

Chery's career only gained any sort of prominence in the past 18 months. Quite nondescript prior to that. His age in this case doesn't make him somehow more 'proven'. Also, Eredivisie is an odd league where players can look very good then be exposed as rather quite limited when they make the step up. I mean El-Ahmadi has completely bossed at times this season as a controller, whereas he struggled to even trap a ball for us. Don't get me wrong, Chery is worth the puny for a few million (not as high as £5m) but no less a risk then these moves usually are purely because he is a bit older. Same age as El-Ahmadi when we signed him coincidentally.
Yeah I know what you're saying especially about the Dutch league but when I say that I'm happy that he isn't some unproven kid, I mean in the sense that at 27 he should be over most of his deficiencies as a footballer and in his character and should be closer to the finished article. For a fee around £5m or so he looks to be good value and one I'd be happy with.

As far as Kea is concerned I always thought he was played too far forward and should of been our deepest midfielder, his biggest attribute for us was winning the ball back but due to Lambert never signing a decent attacking midfielder Kea ended up being thrown into that position.

Edited by Bunnski

I didn't say it was a problem/I even posted I know they want the best deal possible. But if they want the player & he's one you want to get in more than say option B you have to be firm, being firm doesn't mean you're pay over the odds.

Like the process I recently went through buying a bigger house, I'll pay this amount if we can agree on this These stipulations while getting the deal ironed out.

Aston Villa considering second bid for Dutch midfielder Tjaronn Chery after opening £3.5m offer rejected

£3.5m?  An obol should do it, surely.

Could be the Chery on the cake  :P

Not the way anyone does things; even clubs with money do not go in at the price they expect to get a player for, I would think.

Also - we haven't missed out on any of those targets as of yet have we? If another team comes in for any of them the club will come back to us to up the bid.

Would take KEA over Sanchez..

Suit yourself! Sanchez is a different type of player and evidently far better (considering his international performances). Then again I think they've both not really played in their best roles. 

Edited by tomh621

Yeah I know what you're saying especially about the Dutch league but when I say that I'm happy that he isn't some unproven kid, I mean in the sense that at 27 he should be over most of his deficiencies as a footballer and in his character and should be closer to the finished article. For a fee around £5m or so he looks to be good value and one I'd be happy with.

That's the sentiment behind favouring experience. I understand the reasoning but there is the tendency to generalise a bit (not you personally) in that experience equates to quality. To be fair, it happens the other way with youth and potential. It can work both ways, so you can argue that Chery being 27 and still being in the Eredivisie doesn't reflect well. For what's it worth, I think he's one of those who had some early promise but kind of didn't build on it, then it fell into place at Groningen. Could be a real success but I wouldn't be sure of it.

As far as Kea is concerned I always thought he was played too far forward and should of been our deepest midfielder, his biggest attribute for us was winning the ball back but due to Lambert never signing a decent attacking midfielder Kea ended up being thrown into that position.

El-Ahmadi was signed to play in that role but bar the first few games, he did badly then lost his place to Westwood. It's true that he's not an offensive midfielder but then Lambert used the advanced midfielders more to neutralise/disrupt opposition play rather than to offer much attacking imput. Same as when Weimann was sometimes played as #10 in the diamond. That's was Lambert's mentality.

The window is still yet to even officially open. We are being patient and trying to maximise our spend. I don't see the problem with that. As for Amavi, we had the offered accepted - an offer more substantial than that offered by Lyon - the player just wasn't keen.

We actually had the bid accepted? Where did you see that?

We actually had the bid accepted? Where did you see that?

It was initially reported by some French journalist, who must be credible because his report was accepted without question by others like GFN and Jonathan Johnson. It was also confirmed by the Birmingham Mail.

Been linked with tom carroll on loan, i'd take him, i think he's an excellent player

By all accounts he was awful with the U21's constantly looked out of depth think Swansea fans liked him though but he doesn't really seem an upgrade to Westwood to me so he will most likely have to play second fiddle here.