Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

ive now gone from enjoying coming onto here to read articles of the deadwood leaving and being linked with fresh players who we can sign, to our decent players leaving and being linked with players we have no chance ever of signing.

5FMxaH8.jpg?1

£7m on a player who is going to be 31 in less than a month is ridiculous business. It's straight from the MON handbook.

Sometimes you have to sign good experienced players (not saying necessarily downing) you can't always sign players with a sell on fee

£7m on a player who is going to be 31 in less than a month is ridiculous business. It's straight from the MON handbook.

Couldn't agree more, if you look what big sam tried to do with him last season playing him more central, this was obviously because he is getting to an age where he can't do a job out wide , his game is slowly unravelling

• Like 1

Sometimes you have to sign good experienced players (not saying necessarily downing) you can't always sign players with a sell on fee

I understand that but Downing is not that player.

He hasn't got character nor is he a leader.

I understand a squad needs experienced players and you have to be prepared to almost write off the transfer fee as you won't get much in return but when the going gets tough (and it will here) he will be the first to hide on and off the pitch.

No thanks.

Would anyone take downing for 7m as being reported he is available for ?

no I'd need at least 20m to even consider taking that tosser back Edited by Richard
  • Like 3

He's better than any of our wide players and would be a massive improvement on N'Zogbia, so yes.

is that the nzogbia who some said would be a massive improvement on Downing? How ironic

So between now and end August (hopefully before as we will have played a few before then) we need

New goalie - maybe this is not required for the first match

Central defender - again maybe not before the first match

Central midfielder - definitely needed for first match

Left back - definitely needed for first match

Wide midfielder - depends on formation I guess but it's a team without width so Imo needed for first match

Striker - if bent eke leaves then needed for first match if not then needed for end of window as second striker

Then depending upon what formation he plays maybe another midfielder ?

3 players before we start the first match and another three before the end of the window if we are to make a decent fist if it. IMHO obviously

Yes he's quality and 30 isn't old these days. He could give us 2 or 3 good years so 7m could be money well spent. 

Yes he's quality and 30 isn't old these days. He could give us 2 or 3 good years so 7m could be money well spent. 

two much bad blood about the way after we bought him injured for six or so months, he came back was a bit crap then one good season and straight off to Plop without a second thought. Yes the fee was good, but that has nothing to do with him being a ruthless get.

• Like 1

Downing was brilliant first half of season for West Ham, as good as his 10/11. He could play the number 10 role alongside Grealish no problem.

Wouldn't come back here though, I don't understand why West Ham are selling him though.

So between now and end August (hopefully before as we will have played a few before then) we need

Wide midfielder - depends on formation I guess but it's a team without width so Imo needed for first match

Striker - if bent eke leaves then needed for first match if not then needed for end of window as second striker

3 players before we start the first match and another three before the end of the window if we are to make a decent fist if it. IMHO obviously

If you want rid of Agbonlahor and with Benteke still likely to leave, we need about 3 new strikers at least surely?

Agree with this - assuming Delph stays. If he goes we need 2 central midfielders before we start the first match.

I shudder at the thought of starting a season with a midfield of Westwood, Grealish, Sanchez, Sinclair and N'Zogbia.

Tbh I didn't mind Downing leaving. We got £20m for him, it's not his fault that we spent it on utter shit. Even better, he turned out to be utter shit for Liverpool anyway.

Yep we did well out of Downing. He was our best player under Houllier I thought. 

Agree with this - assuming Delph stays. If he goes we need 2 central midfielders before we start the first match.

I shudder at the thought of starting a season with a midfield of Westwood, Grealish, Sanchez, Sinclair and N'Zogbia.

Its relegation if we do. No Cleverley and Delph means we have lost our entire engine room from last season. We can replace one but two we'll have to spend at least 20 mil to replace.