Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

I still think the huddlestone and Townsend links are "lazy journalism" to an extent. It makes sense that we'd sign them, but I don't think we will. Other targets would be more appealing. There's a big unknown over the new owners too and where that will leave us

I live in Hull, word is that Huddlestone is due to have a medical at Villa. I have also had Hull fans thanking me for us taking him off their hands...

they would act like that whoever we signed from them

• Like 1

I still think the huddlestone and Townsend links are "lazy journalism" to an extent. It makes sense that we'd sign them, but I don't think we will. Other targets would be more appealing. There's a big unknown over the new owners too and where that will leave us

I live in Hull, word is that Huddlestone is due to have a medical at Villa. I have also had Hull fans thanking me for us taking him off their hands...

they would act like that whoever we signed from them

With the possible exception of Robertson. They can thank us but what better CM's do they have? Livermore's a cokehead, that just leaves Diame who seems quite injury prone.

Would love Townsend. Think he has a lot of potential and is certainly better than what we have out wide. 

Huddlestone, meh. 

I actually think Huddlestone would do really well at Villa, I think he may suprise a few if he signs for us.

Would love Townsend. Think he has a lot of potential and is certainly better than what we have out wide. 

Huddlestone, meh. 

I actually think Huddlestone would do really well at Villa, I think he may suprise a few if he signs for us.

I hope you're right.

I'm not exactly excited by him signing for us but am more than willing to give him a chance. You can see he has the talent, I've just always thought he was a bit languid.

I think if citeh come knocking hel be off in a flash.

I don't think so, whey move when he's doing so well on a personal level. To go to a team who may well pay him 5 times as much for playing not even a 1/4 of what he does now. Delph doesn't strike me as being money driven, he's very much a villa player & loves it here.

No disrespect to Delph either but I don't think he's at that level for a team challenging for the title. Not as a start anyway

You could say pretty much the same before milner downing young Barry all left.

I honestly think there was zero interest on him prior to signing the 4 year deal. He'd been complete horse shit for most of the season up to that point. Once you've signed a new contract I think it's very easy to play the 'VILLA ONLY CLUB FOR ME CARD' and of course, there was none of that before he signed.

That's been argued to death tho on here with a number of reasons why he might not have said anything - all of which imo - don't actually tie in with the thought that he was always going to stay. For example - 'he was weighing up his options'. If you're always going to stay you don't need to weigh up any options.

Like I say, think hel be off in a flash should 'serious' interest come in.

Yeah a home grown player, playing for his country available on a free transfer.

Sure, there would be zero interest.

Well it appears nobody came in for him so there is more suggesting there was no solid interest.

He's so much better than Weimann, it's not even a valid comparison.

I don't really know what £12m buys you these days. It has been so long since we spent that kind of money. I imagine it's the going price for a slightly above average premier league player.

Valid because a striker on the wing has done more than a winger on the flanks.

Huddlestone, meh. 

I hope you're right.

I'm not exactly excited by him signing for us but am more than willing to give him a chance. You can see he has the talent, I've just always thought he was a bit languid.

If he did arrive he would comfortably be the best passer in the squad by a country mile, hampered by injury at tottenham and then they boought 200 midfielders. I actually though he was back to his best at Hull a couple of years ago, he didn't hit the same heights last season but it wasn't just him. Hull were pretty cack in all areas last season. I think he will be good

He's so much better than Weimann, it's not even a valid comparison.

I don't really know what £12m buys you these days. It has been so long since we spent that kind of money. I imagine it's the going price for a slightly above average premier league player.

Valid because a striker on the wing has done more than a winger on the flanks.

Assists are important for a winger or wide forward too. Townsend got 7 in all comps last season, Weimann - 2.

I think if citeh come knocking hel be off in a flash.

I don't think so, whey move when he's doing so well on a personal level. To go to a team who may well pay him 5 times as much for playing not even a 1/4 of what he does now. Delph doesn't strike me as being money driven, he's very much a villa player & loves it here.

No disrespect to Delph either but I don't think he's at that level for a team challenging for the title. Not as a start anyway

You could say pretty much the same before milner downing young Barry all left.

I honestly think there was zero interest on him prior to signing the 4 year deal. He'd been complete horse shit for most of the season up to that point. Once you've signed a new contract I think it's very easy to play the 'VILLA ONLY CLUB FOR ME CARD' and of course, there was none of that before he signed.

That's been argued to death tho on here with a number of reasons why he might not have said anything - all of which imo - don't actually tie in with the thought that he was always going to stay. For example - 'he was weighing up his options'. If you're always going to stay you don't need to weigh up any options.

Like I say, think hel be off in a flash should 'serious' interest come in.

Yeah a home grown player, playing for his country available on a free transfer.

Sure, there would be zero interest.

Well it appears nobody came in for him so there is more suggesting there was no solid interest.

he signed his deal months before any official interest could be made, dont get me wrong im sure agents and club representatives talk off record but man city might have been interested but not allowed to do anything about it, add then that man city's interest if it is real (IMO its not) would have increased when milner left, maybe they werent serious about delph in january because they were confident they could keep milner, thats changed now

My problem isn't with Townsend himself, just that you could probably buy two more technically gifted European players for the same price.

Possibly. But why would those players choose Aston Villa? 

Well the wages in the Premier League (even at Villa) are probably pretty decent compared to what other European clubs pay (particularly once you move outside those clubs that will be expecting to go a reasonable way in the Champions League).  So it IS possible to attract some quite good players from a decent club.

However, I don't think that our record of signing "technically gifted" European players has been particularly good (or even average) over the past 20 years so unless something in our scouting has improved dramatically I can't see why we should expect it to improve now.  The signings that have worked have tended to be English-type players such as: Mellberg, Laursen, Benteke, Vlaar (when fit / bothered) even Savo/Carew.  Clearly not an exhaustive list and I'm fully waiting for people to respond with Juan Pablo and other success stories.  However, foreign (and half price) isn't necessarily a better option...

I'd rather a manager recruited players that he has a good knowledge of (i.e. people he has seen in training in the middle of winter when the wind is howling and the rain is lashing down) than buying someone on the basis of some videotapes of their "best" matches from the TV.  Obviously I'd prefer it if we had a strong worldwide scouting network that meant that we could pick from a bigger pool than just Spurs but... :-)

Regarding Huddlestone and his perceived work ethic.  I think a manager like Sherwood would suit him very well.  Say what you want about Sherwood's ability as a manager, but one thing's for sure, he will not take anything less than 100% from the players he picks.  So any day-dreaming or light jogging that Thud might have gotten away with under Bruce certainly won't cut it under Tim.

On that basis we can kind of assume that we'll be getting the high(er) octane version of the player and that version might be pretty good to have in the centre of the park.  If it happens then fingers crossed.

• Like 1