Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Delph won't go so soon after signing a new deal.

I doubt he'd be happy playing the Milner role up there given he's a regular for England now.

Don't Man. City have something ridiculous like about two homegrown players in their whole squad which will cause them problems in champions league so they'll probably start getting linked to loads of English players.

Don't think it's anything to worry about personally.

If Huddlestone was that good he wouldn't be playing for Hull and he wouldn't be being linked to us, and not for a fee as little as £5M.

If Benteke was that good he wouldn't playing for villa?

I'm not saying Huddlestone is rubbish, just not as good as Joey is making him out to be (in my honest opinion).

There's no comparison between Benteke and Huddlestone. Benteke wasn't as good as he is now when we signed him and Benteke isn't being linked to teams who just avoided relegation.

When I said that good I meant as good Joey is making him out to be. I don't think he's the worst player in the myself, I just don't think he should be at the top of our priorities.

I said he should be at an Everton, Villa or Newcastle status club. I'm not saying he's Michael Carrick. But a fan base that is used to watching Westwood, Sanchez, Cleverly, KEA and so on, really shouldn't be disappointed by the idea of signing Tom Huddlestone. If you are, then you will be very pleasantly surprised as the level of midfield play will be going up a notch.

When I said that good I meant as good Joey is making him out to be. I don't think he's the worst player in the myself, I just don't think he should be at the top of our priorities.

I said he should be at an Everton, Villa or Newcastle status club. I'm not saying he's Michael Carrick. But a fan base that is used to watching Westwood, Sanchez, Cleverly, KEA and so on, really shouldn't be disappointed by the idea of signing Tom Huddlestone. If you are, then you will be very pleasantly surprised as the level of midfield play will be going up a notch.

But that's only your opinion, just because people might disagree with it doesn't mean to say they're being negative. That we're used to watching someone as good as Westwood is precisely the reason, why we don't feel we need Huddlestone. As I say not the worst player but not someone we need badly. Sherwood might feel differently though I guess.

One thing I will say, I can remember people on this very site, cursing the fact that we didn't sign him whilst he was doing well at Hull.

Huddlestone would be a great signing for us!

He would help us retain possession, his passing ability is far superior than any of our current crop of players.

He would also be great for our set pieces, how many poor corners did we have last season?  how money goals did we score from set pieces? 

Hope he joins!

I'd accept 60-70 million for Delph and benteke. Unfortunately our whole squad needs rebuilding and our usual 15 million a summer is not enough. People are saying because we going after amavi etc.. This means possible takeover.. It's likely that it's the Benteke money as he will be sold this summer imo. Either way it will be an interesting summer.

Edited by KSV

If Huddlestone was that good he wouldn't be playing for Hull and he wouldn't be being linked to us, and not for a fee as little as £5M.

If Benteke was that good he wouldn't playing for villa?

Benteke isn't being linked to a club that nearly got relegated and wouldn't cost as little as £5M. He's playing for us because we bought whilst he was fairly unknown. And we'll be lucky if he's playing for us next season.

I dunno what I don't like about Huddlestone but I just don't rate the lad.  He is a very neat and tidy player, definitely someone you would describe as a footballer but he strikes me as being far too slow to really hurt opposition teams. He should score more goals too, he'll get a couple a season if you are lucky.    

The more I think about it he more he seems like the archetypal Villa midfielder. :(

I'd accept 60-70 million for Delph and benteke. Unfortunately our whole squad needs rebuilding and our usual 15 million a summer is not enough. People are saying because we going after amavi etc.. This means possible takeover.. It's likely that it's the Benteke money as he will be sold this summer imo. Either way it will be an interesting summer.

We'd be lucky to get half that for the both of them...

He isn't saying those who disagree with him negative though is he? Just those who are clearly being negative, 'Huddlestone is dire' etc.

If some some posters don't rate a player then it follows that they will hold a negative view on the prospect of signing them.

So how much do we think Delph is worth?

Considering that he's just signed a 4 month contract, he's our captain, a current England international, and that he's arguably our best player, 2nd only to Benteke, I'd say he's worth 18 mil to us. Maybe more. Absolutely no less than 15. He ain't going anywhere though so we dont have to worry about that!

Edited by tomh621

I think if citeh come knocking hel be off in a flash.

I don't think so, whey move when he's doing so well on a personal level. To go to a team who may well pay him 5 times as much for playing not even a 1/4 of what he does now. Delph doesn't strike me as being money driven, he's very much a villa player & loves it here.

No disrespect to Delph either but I don't think he's at that level for a team challenging for the title. Not as a start anyway

• Like 1

I don't think so, whey move when he's doing so well on a personal level. To go to a team who may well pay him 5 times as much for playing not even a 1/4 of what he does now. Delph doesn't strike me as being money driven, he's very much a villa player & loves it here.

No disrespect to Delph either but I don't think he's at that level for a team challenging for the title. Not as a start anyway

You could say pretty much the same before milner downing young Barry all left.

I honestly think there was zero interest on him prior to signing the 4 year deal. He'd been complete horse shit for most of the season up to that point. Once you've signed a new contract I think it's very easy to play the 'VILLA ONLY CLUB FOR ME CARD' and of course, there was none of that before he signed.

That's been argued to death tho on here with a number of reasons why he might not have said anything - all of which imo - don't actually tie in with the thought that he was always going to stay. For example - 'he was weighing up his options'. If you're always going to stay you don't need to weigh up any options.

Like I say, think hel be off in a flash should 'serious' interest come in.

You could say pretty much the same before milner downing young Barry all left.

I honestly think there was zero interest on him prior to signing the 4 year deal. He'd been complete horse shit for most of the season up to that point. Once you've signed a new contract I think it's very easy to play the 'VILLA ONLY CLUB FOR ME CARD' and of course, there was none of that before he signed.

That's been argued to death tho on here with a number of reasons why he might not have said anything - all of which imo - don't actually tie in with the thought that he was always going to stay. For example - 'he was weighing up his options'. If you're always going to stay you don't need to weigh up any options.

Like I say, think hel be off in a flash should 'serious' interest come in.

Well you couldn't because when Millner and Barry left it was the start of the new dawn at city. Totally different now.

Now delph can look at that and go, hmmm Rodwell, Sinclair, Bridge the evidence is there.

He is getting in the England team on a regular basis, he's captain and potentially we're at the start of our own new dawn.

I'd be very surprised if he left to go to city.