Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

How about Joel Campbell from Arsenal.

I know he hasn't had a great time at Villareal but he's shown enough for Costa Rica and in previous loans to suggest he's decent and I imagine he's not on huge wages at Arsenal who'll be looking to sell him.

Possibly a controversial one.

What about Ashley Cole as a short term Left Back solution.

Rumours are that Roma are very keen to move him on as he hasn't impressed much out there. MIght be more at home with a move back to the prem?

• Like 1

Still a good player but his wage demands would be too much. Would be too much of a 'QPR-style' signing for my liking. 

I think left back will be high on Sherwood's list, and i can see us getting a decent Championship player, maybe George Friend if Boro don't come up via playoffs. 

Ings to Liverpool looks nailed on much like the Lambert to Liverpool was last summer.

Money talks louder than playing and they will look to sign him so nobody else can with a view to him either doing well for them or making money for them when he is sold on in a year or two.

I doubt we would currently match their wage offer to him and that would be likely to be a decisive factor. But if he is looking to play, understands it is no longer the 1970s (when they were the team they still think they are) and watches the FA Cup Semi Final he should know which choice would be the better one for him should we think he is good enough for us...     

Rumours are that Roma are very keen to move him on as he hasn't impressed much out there. MIght be more at home with a move back to the prem?

Despite having about £30m sat in his bank I'd be amazed if he put football in front of earning more money, surprised he joined Roma instead of the MLS anyway, although I'm sure I'd seen something saying left backs won't get the same status / cash as attacking players

Why would it be controversial? I'd love him, he's the best full back i've ever seen, i'm only 24

He isnt technically free though, he is 22 so will be about 5 million by tribunal

still near enough free for the clubs mentioned. I don't think he is good enough as a starter but how many games would he play really? I've seen Sinclair/Rodwell move to city for probably bigger fee/wages.

I don't watch Serie A nowadays but I'd hazard a guess that he isn't playing much at Roma because he is over the hill?

Probably.

I don't watch any Serie A really so can't comment.

I thought in his last season fro Chelsea he was still plenty good enough for a team like us. If his wage demands weren't too high then I thought it might be a viable option for a season given that left back is such a problem area for us.

But his ability may have dropped off a cliff since he moved to Roma. But bear in mind that Roma are a much MUCH better team than us. Not being good enough for Roma doesn't necessarily mean a player isn't good enough for us. 

Started off o.k at Roma but lost his place after they got trashed 7-1 at home to Munich around October time and not played much since.

Whatever you think about him as a person, at his peak he was imo the one English player you could make genuine claims of being world class in his respective position.

He is 34, inevitable that he's dipped, got one year maybe 2 left in him, not convinced it's at this level though, looked through the news, been linked with man city and New York but nothing concrete

I thought the MLS was trying to shake the retirement home image? Lampard, gerrard and cole all going there this summer won't do that

Edited by villa4europe