Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Did we replace Barry, Milner, Young or Downing like for like or did selling them help our owner's bank ballance

Neither?

The myth that Randy is making money from Aston Villa continues :crylaugh:

He was not "making money" but he was taking money back that had previously been spent on these players and a bit more on top (it was once called "profitable player trading" at our club). This reduced the gap between overall spending on players and income from player sales at the cost of performance on the field but not to the extent that he has added to his wealth during his time as our custodian.  

So basically, nothing like you said first time around at all? Instead you meant to say "The money was used to help keep the club afloat financially".

That Randy, what a heartless bastard!

Without Lambert 40M.

With Lambert 45M

I think it's about time you change your profile picture now Richard :)

Happy to oblige

That's worse, put Lambert back ☺

Our priority IS NOT to secure the best fee possible for Benteke.

Our priority is to keep hold of him. Whereas it would be difficult to stop him if a top 4 side came in for him, I believe we can bat off attempts from Liverpool-As we have done in the past for other players.

And if someone thinks Benteke needs a move to Liverpool "to prove himself" then I'd like to know what they think he's been doing here for the past 3 years. I fail to see how challenging for a UEFA cup spot is "proving oneself"

If a top four club came in for Benteke we might struggle to keep him but I think he enjoys playing for Sherwood and if we do get bought we can hopefully show him the ambition and vision that he'll stay so we should be looking at players to add not worrying about him going. For me we need a new GK I'd take Richards as a defender id try for Ben Davies from Spurs for LB sign Sinclair and hopefully Cleverley which is something I didn't think I'd say 2 months ago! Then get another CF who can play as a 10. Who I've no idea.

Clearing the dead wood and duds will be a challenge.

Our priority IS NOT to secure the best fee possible for Benteke.

Our priority is to keep hold of him. Whereas it would be difficult to stop him if a top 4 side came in for him, I believe we can bat off attempts from Liverpool-As we have done in the past for other players.

In an ideal world, yes. Realistically if he doesn't renew this summer then he must be sold. If that scenario comes about, then the identity of the club he ends up at is irrelevent (unless it was to a direct rival or something - which it obviously won't be), all that will be of concern to this club is which interested party offers the best deal.

No he must not.

He will still have 12 months left this time next year and will still command a massive figure. If there is no chance of getting him to extend then we should sell. This summer, we should fend off attempts from UEFA league standard clubs to prise him away. Of a Champions League side comes in, if past experience is anything to go by, we will not be able to stop the sale.

He's obviously not going to renew this summer-This doesn't mean we have to run out and find the highest bidder.

You obviously don't realise that the value of a player is significantly reduced when they enter the final year of their contract then. It's standard practice to not allow your players to reach that stage. If he won't renew (and there is no reason why he should) then we quite simply must sell while his value is at its highest.

You obviously don't realise that the value of a player is significantly reduced when they enter the final year of their contract then. It's standard practice to not allow your players to reach that stage. If he won't renew (and there is no reason why he should) then we quite simply must sell while his value is at its highest.

I think he does realise that. I think you have assumed something that is not contained within his post.

Yes his value will be reduced significantly. If he produced what we know he can then we would still get £20m plus for him. I would pay £15m for another season of him firing, I would take that gamble. It could make all the difference to how this club progresses.

I do realise that.

What ISA fails to realise is:

1. We only paid £7mil for Benteke. We will be in profit, even if we sell him next January.

2, The clubs finances are no longer our concern. The club is privately owned and it is the owners problem to find funds.

3. We could get £60mil for Benteke and £30mil of that could filter into an owners back pocket

4. loosing £15mil over 1 season (if indeed we were to loose that much) makes no difference to the club, the fans or the players.

5. History has shown that when a lump sum received for 1 star player is divided to purchase several others, the gap is never filled.

6. Keeping Benteke for 1 extra season could, possibly gain us as much as we would lose by way of league placings and dare I say it, cup success.

It's all very well nonchalantly writing off £10-15m on here but I see absolutely no legitimate justification for it. Basically the two outcomes being debated over here both end in him leaving and us facing a tall order to replace him anyway. Except that potentially generating more money from the sale leaves us in a better position to strengthen the squad.

4. loosing £15mil over 1 season (if indeed we were to loose that much) makes no difference to the club, the fans or the players.

Well that's rubbish I'm afraid.

Id personally be quite happy to see him here for another 2 years and go on a free just for the shear enjoyment I get from watching him play. Were much more likely to move up the table with him and high finishing is the only way to convince him that his future lies here. In 2 years we could be in a much better position and he may just decide he wants to stay and sign another contract (however unlikely that may be)

It's all very well nonchalantly writing off £10-15m on here but I see absolutely no legitimate justification for it.

Goals.

We're going to have to learn to score without him whenever he does leave. I have confidence in Sherwood to build a team/squad with multiple goalthreats - he's already done it to an extent. Benteke's goals next season might at best have us 2/3 places higher up the table. Which again won't justify the hit suffered in allowing him to enter the final year of his contract.

It's all very well nonchalantly writing off £10-15m on here but I see absolutely no legitimate justification for it. Basically the two outcomes being debated over here both end in him leaving and us facing a tall order to replace him anyway. Except that potentially generating more money from the sale leaves us in a better position to strengthen the squad.

Well that's rubbish I'm afraid.

Benteke earns Villa money. He is an excellent player and raises the game of those he plays with because they know if they can do their job and get the ball to him he poses a threat. In a better team Benteke would be just another very good player, and consequently he is worth more to us than he is to another team, and that would be reflected in the money we get for him. Benteke is the beast. If you were a sponsor looking to associate your brand with Villa, you'll want Benteke standing by your car, or drinking your sports drink. In another team they'll again have plenty of players that can perform such a function for sponsors. Again worth more to us, than to them. 

Without him we're left with a disheartened team missing its focal point, no real saleable personality for the sponsors and a massive gap up front with no idea where the goals are going to come from. I think if you offered Benteke to West Ham tomorrow for £30 million on a three year contract, they'd jump at the chance and every West Ham fan in the country would be absolutely delighted with the business that had been done. We bought Darren Bent potentially for £24 million. Let's say the final tally was closer to £20 million. We were all delighted with the signing. It's an example of some very bad business that can be done for a lot of money. And now we've no Benteke and only £10 million left. 

Again I'll say that we got £12 million for Gareth Barry in the last year of his contract. Keep him for one more year under Sherwood. If Benteke isn't worth twice in the last year of his contract what Gareth Barry was in the last year of his, then I'll eat my hat.

Edited by YLN
  • Like 1

It's all very well nonchalantly writing off £10-15m on here but I see absolutely no legitimate justification for it.

Goals.

We're going to have to learn to score without him whenever he does leave. I have confidence in Sherwood to build a team/squad with multiple goalthreats - he's already done it to an extent. Benteke's goals next season might at best have us 2/3 places higher up the table. Which again won't justify the hit suffered in allowing him to enter the final year of his contract.

I don't think you did a good job of arguing against me there apart from a little supposition. The statement was that you could see absolutely no legitimate justification for it when there clearly is, even if you don't agree that it is the right course of action.

I think 2/3 places is a big underestimate. I think he is worth 5/6 places over an average striker, minimum, which is in turn worth much more than the extra £5-6m in extra prize money. Perhaps that is our disconnect.