Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Richards on a free for me is a no brainer give him a 2 year deal with options to extend if he's playing regular. At one point he was the next big thing then injuries and not being fancied by managers took its toll. Wasn't he on our books as a kid? LB is the biggest concern at the back for me, I'd also sell Weimann and get in another striker. CM isn't too bad if Cleverley signs add into that Gardner I think that's ok for now. Hopefully Gil can be the other wide creative player we need. I'd try to sell Nzogbia but if not I'd be happy with just signing Sinclair Cleverley LB CF and a new GK for the start of pre season.

Shawcross and Johnson, yes I agree. Richards however, if the wage was right, would be an excellent signing imo.

He's managed 6 starts and 3 sub appearances for Fiorentina this year. No thanks. 

• Like 3

Take it or leave it for me. On a free and reasonable wages he could be a useful signing but on the other hand, I'm not even sure he makes our strongest XI.

By John Percy

10:30PM BST 30 Apr 2015

Villa may scrap director of football role to give Sherwood freedom to move for targets including Tom Carroll of Spurs and Chelsea striker Patrick Bamford

Aston Villa could scrap plans to appoint a director of football in a boost for Tim Sherwood ahead of next season.

Sherwood will meet with chairman Randy Lerner next month and reiterate that the position does not need to be filled, with the manager intent on having sole control of football operations including transfer targets.

Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Tom Carroll, currently on loan at Swansea City, and Swindon Town’s Massimo Luongo are both understood to be on Sherwood’s radar for the next campaign.

Steven Caulker, the Queens Park Rangers centre-half, could also be a target if the west London club are relegated and Ron Vlaar leaves Villa this summer on a free transfer.

Patrick Bamford, who this season has impressed on loan at Middlesbrough from Chelsea, is also expected to be on Sherwood’s list as he bids to strengthen his squad.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/11575413/Aston-Villa-manager-Tim-Sherwood-wants-control-over-all-transfers.html

Said it in the other thread not comfortable with it. Hope it isn't scrapped. I can understand why he would want it but he has no experience of the transfer market and if Benteke does leave a rebuild job will be pretty big for any manager let alone one that hasn't purchased a player before and whilst a DOF isn't guarantee for success we desperately need to get it right in the summer. Caulker I'm hoping is just a lazy link, do not rate him one bit.

• Like 1

I think we need a DOF but one that works alongside the manager who has the last say on signings. The Southampton model with Les Reed is ideal. Managers do come and go and we need a long term plan to build the club. Southampton have a list of managers that suit them at all times just in case they lose their manager that way they can continue the recruitment and development of the club without too much of a hiccup. Ideally if Sherwood wanted a LB the DOF would get a list of 10 or so and let him pick his choice.

We are always going to be linked to Spurs players and I'd say a lot of it is lazy journalism to fill column inches.

I like most of the links so far, Luongo is a risk but one I'd take. If we keep Benteke I think him and Bamford up top would be lethal and on loan its a win win for everyone really. I'm not sure about Richards, but I wouldn't be too upset with him on a free. Those 3 plus Sinclair, Cleverley and a left back (Neil Taylor) would leave us in a very good position imo. Would like to see a marquee foreign transfer as well but that's probably wishful thinking