Players you've completely forgotten about

VillaChris

Was just trying to remember the name of one of our dreadful 80's strikers and its just come to me. Adrian Heath. We had quite a run of awful strikers in those days,, Warren Aspinall, Steve Simms, Mark Lillis, Simon Stainrod. Endless dross 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sidcow said:

Was just trying to remember the name of one of our dreadful 80's strikers and its just come to me. Adrian Heath. We had quite a run of awful strikers in those days,, Warren Aspinall, Steve Simms, Mark Lillis, Simon Stainrod. Endless dross 

Aspinall was decent. Top scorer when we got promoted. As for Stainrod, he was just endemic of the situation we were in at the time

We have had some dross though, including a lot in recent years

21 hours ago, Xela said:

Aspinall was decent. Top scorer when we got promoted. As for Stainrod, he was just endemic of the situation we were in at the time

We have had some dross though, including a lot in recent years

I'm remember reading what Graham Taylor said about Aspinall  "He's not without talent but in footballing terms he's in nappies". I liked him

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Kenwyne Jones

Rubbish footballer but always one of them who'd you'd rather have on your team, he was very good when he played for Stoke's pulls team

12 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

Rubbish footballer but always one of them who'd you'd rather have on your team, he was very good when he played for Stoke's pulls team

He was always a handful. Wasn't he linked with us at some point?

Looked bigger than his 6'2" height

14 hours ago, Genie said:

He got very close to signing for Liverpool didn't he?

Think that was Carlton Cole during the glorious Woy Hodgson era.

Jones was one of those strikers who had 1 good game in 6 and a mediocre scoring record. He'd had been another one we'd have signed who we'd have spent a year trying to get off our books once he got demotivated....Stoke lost a fair bit on him I think.

16 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Think that was Carlton Cole during the glorious Woy Hodgson era.

Jones was one of those strikers who had 1 good game in 6 and a mediocre scoring record. He'd had been another one we'd have signed who we'd have spent a year trying to get off our books once he got demotivated....Stoke lost a fair bit on him I think.

Just dug this out from 2010 -> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/sunderland/7528183/Kenwyne-Jones-the-striker-who-got-away-from-Liverpool-and-Rafael-Benitez.html

Kenwyne Jones: the striker who got away from Liverpool and Rafael Benítez

If Rafael Benítez had had his way in January then Kenwyne Jones would be emerging from Anfield's famous tunnel on Sunday in the red shirt of Liverpool.

What with Fernando Torres's problems with injury and the lack of quality strikers in his squad, the Liverpool manager wanted to sign Jones in the transfer window but the club did not want to meet Sunderland's £10 million valuation.

For Sunderland the projected transfer was like a bad New Year's hangover that just got worse by the day and with a week left before the the close of the window Steve Bruce, the Sunderland manager, snapped, describing the manner of Benítez's pursuit of his player as "hugely disrespectful".

"What happened is that January was January and now it's March and it's all over," Jones said. "That's all that happened. However long the transfer windows have been in effect there has always been something like that happening at some club. It's nothing new, the same old script."

Jones's desire to put the whole episode behind him is understandable. The speculation came halfway through a winless streak of 14 games for Sunderland, a sequence that pushed them towards relegation. "It was like we started tripping down some stairs and we just kept falling down and down until we hit the floor," he said.

Bullet dodged by red scouse.

What was wrong with Benitez in those days, it was around that time he was tapping up Barry wasn't it.

I haven't minded him at all since he pitched up at Newcastle, just got his head down and got down with things bar that whine in January about not strengthening the squad.

1 hour ago, villa_shere said:

Giles Barnes - He had a decent season at derby nearly a decade ago. Wiki says he's now playing in MLS, played 120 times for one club and only scored 30 goals.

I've posted before about him since a family friend is football scout who has worked for a number of midland clubs, including Derby over the years.

He was tipped to become the 'next big' thing and everyone at Derby considered him to be far superior to Huddlestone (who was their brightest prospect for years and had broken through a couple of years prior to Barnes). He had the lot, pace, tremendous strength on the ball but also had really good technique and an eye for a pass and a goal. As an 18 year old he had a really good breakthrough season in the Championship but injuries in that season basically ruined him. He had a badly damaged foot that rather than rest, decided to continuing playing with. This put him out for most of the subsequent premier league campaign (the season we whooped them 6-0 away) and when he did return he didn't really have the pace and explosiveness that he once had. 

All down hill from there as he accumulated even more injuries to his knees, which probably stem from that bad foot as he bounced around a few English sides before settling in the MLS where he has had a fairly decent career, averaging almost 1 goal every 3 games from an attacking midfield position. 

Not to get all SGC here, but based on what I've been told about him, he could well have become a top quality player had it not been for his injuries and the shocking decisions made by Derby football club to play him with that foot injury as an 18 year old. They presumably felt pressured to since he was scoring goals but also making a lot of assists, without him they wouldn't have been promoted that season, but the price they paid for that promotion was a permanently damaged prospect. It's suggested that he 'hid' the injury from the medical staff but I'm not sure how a player could hide a broken foot like that, more likely the case that they knew about it and were pumping him full of cortisone/ pain killers. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Which club was he at when his teammates bullied him by putting a sheep's head or something in his locker?

Stoke I think. I seem to recall Glen Whelan was mentioned...

Â