2015 Takeover Thread

samjp26

Am I the only one who isnt that bothered by this news? For every sugar daddy there are 9 disastrous takeovers. We're not going to win the league so I'd rather have a chairman that at least wont let us get liquidated.

That's the dream now? 3 cheers for Randy because we won't go bust?

**At least we are not Leeds**

• Like 1

Bitterly disappointed and I'm not sure why everyone is so positive. Just look back at the last 4 seasons and you'll see exactly what is going to happen this season.

I think Sherwood will do better than lambert, but yeah on the whole Lerner has proven he's no good for us as a club.  He's sent us on a downwards spiral, allowed clubs to overtake us and in an era of FFP has made it incredibly hard for us to financially compete with top half teams.  I can't see much positive about him not being able to sell the club

• Like 2

Right take a fist full of straws and go with me on this...

When Randy first bought the club there was a point where we all thought he was close to an agreement and he walked away, citing that the deal was dead.  A meltdown amongst fans ensued before it turned out it was a bit of brinkmanship with Ellis and he eventually came back to the table and finished the deal.

Could he be playing the same card here only this time he's in the opposite chair?  Just seems odd for it to come out via an interview from Sherwood rather than an official statement, then again they've never officially acknowledged the exclusivity period so some could argue why would they officially state it's come to nothing.

Hmmm

• Like 2

Another example of Tim being a little more open than perhaps he should be?

Not at all. It's about time someone said something.

People don't want the complete ins and outs. Just a little bit of communication.

Another 17th placed finish will be a good year by the looks of it then.

And yet when you get this little bit of communication that you desire, you respond with negativity.

• Like 1

To be honest I’m not bothered. I'm very suspicious of any new owners as at least we have a number of positives about the club right now. Namely:

- Fox seems to know how to sustainably run a club. No more lurching from one crisis to the next with no direction

- The team that showed nothing under Lambert for 2/3 of the season showed some fight and endeavour under Sherwood

- There is enough positivity around to convince an in demand Fabian Delph to stay.

- We might lose our best player but we will be well rewarded for it. He owes us nothing and we need either him or the money so it's win/win.

- Jack Grealish has a full season to impress and continue his development into hopefully one of the most exciting young players in the league.

Potential pitfalls of a change in ownership:

- Totalitarian owner who attempts to mold the club in his image (Hull Tigers - relegated, Cardiff Reds - relegated, Blackburn Chicken Distributors Ltd - relegated)

- Removal of Fox/Sherwood before we have a chance to see what they can produce

- Leveraged takeover that puts all of the risk back onto the club with a quick exit strategy for the buyers

- We lose a chairman who may no longer be invested in the club long term but he definitely cares, there’s no doubt he wants to see the club succeed.

• Like 2

I wouldn't read too much into the last line of the Sherwood quotes, to be honest. He's not going to say 'we have shitloads to spend and will happily leave unregistered players in the reserves'. Mentioning 'exits' doesn't necessarily mean that we haven't got money to spend.

What's changed this year compared the the last few for us to suddenly spend anymore that £10m? 

The financial footing of the club.

Meh! I like the structure of the club as it as at the moment anyway.

Yeah, after so long doing everything the wrong way, it actually looks like we're doing it the right way. The take away line from Sherwood's quotes there is the one people keep ignoring

"he can only back us to the tune of financial fair play"

That goes for a new owner too. As things stand right now with domestic FFP, all we can do is spend what we're allowed to spend and get the behind the scenes stuff right. If we can do the latter, we'll have more of the former, regardless of who the owner is

• Like 1

Another example of Tim being a little more open than perhaps he should be?

Not at all. It's about time someone said something.

People don't want the complete ins and outs. Just a little bit of communication.

Another 17th placed finish will be a good year by the looks of it then.

And yet when you get this little bit of communication that you desire, you respond with negativity.

I haven't responded negatively about the communication. I welcome the communication. Don't we all?

I'm disappointed that Lerner is stuck with Villa, and Villa are stuck with Lerner. But I am not the only one to express this opinion. Am I?

• Like 1

I wouldn't read too much into the last line of the Sherwood quotes, to be honest. He's not going to say 'we have shitloads to spend and will happily leave unregistered players in the reserves'. Mentioning 'exits' doesn't necessarily mean that we haven't got money to spend.

What's changed this year compared the the last few for us to suddenly spend anymore that £10m? 

I don't know so I am guessing, but we have removed a few high earners from our wage bill over the last two seasons, combined with bigger income streams coming in from tv deals this year could free us up to invest a bit in the squad. We are no longer losing £20-30m per year, so Randy hasn't got to subsidise that therefore allowing him to invest in transfer fees?

I think I'd have a lot more confidence in the wage bill argument if for the first few years of Lerner's Osbourne act we weren't told it was the wage bill stopping the signing of players, and then that switched to the fees now. It's all excuses. I've also yet to see any evidence of increase of income streams - the TV deal comes in play next year and our sponsorship is still nowhere near where Fox was saying it should be. And why would Lerner invest any more at all seeing as he's 'wanted' rid of the club for over two years now? I just don't see it happening.

You may well be right, I guess we will have to wait and see. I am usually cautious, but I have a gut feeling we will spend a bit more than the last 3-4 seasons this year. I hope that now Randy has cut right back, he is looking to grow the club within it's means a little more. Last time it was boom or bust, and that left us teetering on the edge of the drop. Maybe with a bit of investment he is hoping that we will become more desireable and an easier sell, kind of like doing up your house to make it look better. Trying not to be too dispondant really.

Right take a fist full of straws and go with me on this...

When Randy first bought the club there was a point where we all thought he was close to an agreement and he walked away, citing that the deal was dead. A meltdown amongst fans ensued before it turned out it was a bit of brinkmanship with Ellis and he eventually came back to the table and finished the deal.

Could he be playing the same card here only this time he's in the opposite chair? Just seems odd for it to come out via an interview from Sherwood rather than an official statement, then again they've never officially acknowledged the exclusivity period so some could argue why would they officially state it's come to nothing.

Hmmm

I like Sherwoods openness but I do wonder how it sits with the Lerner board considering the fact they hardly communicated with us for the past 5 years!

That Sherwood interview doesn't read to me like a takeover is definitely off, he seems pretty unsure. Things might seem a little bleaker but I'm not giving up hope based on it. I just think that perhaps it's taking longer than expected and Sherwood is trying to divert attention.

We lose a chairman who may no longer be invested in the club long term but he definitely cares, there’s no doubt he wants to see the club succeed.

I'm amazed people still think this. What's it based on?

I have no doubt he cares about his investment staying in the premier league, there's not much to suggest he is interested in anything else.

Meh! I like the structure of the club as it as at the moment anyway.

Yeah, after so long doing everything the wrong way, it actually looks like we're doing it the right way. The take away line from Sherwood's quotes there is the one people keep ignoring

"he can only back us to the tune of financial fair play"

That goes for a new owner too. As things stand right now with domestic FFP, all we can do is spend what we're allowed to spend and get the behind the scenes stuff right. If we can do the latter, we'll have more of the former, regardless of who the owner is

And we're yet to see if he will back us to the limits of FFP.

I don't know so I am guessing, but we have removed a few high earners from our wage bill over the last two seasons, combined with bigger income streams coming in from tv deals this year could free us up to invest a bit in the squad. We are no longer losing £20-30m per year, so Randy hasn't got to subsidise that therefore allowing him to invest in transfer fees?

I think I'd have a lot more confidence in the wage bill argument if for the first few years of Lerner's Osbourne act we weren't told it was the wage bill stopping the signing of players, and then that switched to the fees now. It's all excuses. I've also yet to see any evidence of increase of income streams - the TV deal comes in play next year and our sponsorship is still nowhere near where Fox was saying it should be. And why would Lerner invest any more at all seeing as he's 'wanted' rid of the club for over two years now? I just don't see it happening.

You may well be right, I guess we will have to wait and see. I am usually cautious, but I have a gut feeling we will spend a bit more than the last 3-4 seasons this year. I hope that now Randy has cut right back, he is looking to grow the club within it's means a little more. Last time it was boom or bust, and that left us teetering on the edge of the drop. Maybe with a bit of investment he is hoping that we will become more desireable and an easier sell, kind of like doing up your house to make it look better. Trying not to be too dispondant really.

One thing for sure is I can't see Sherwood being a yes man like the previous 2 managers. He will say it is as it is even if it costs him his job.

• Like 3

As Chewie said, we have offloaded a load of deadwood and high earners, wages are usually the biggest obstacle when it comes to signings.

Even under Lambert we have had a transfer budget of 10-20 mil a season, last summer seemed to be the worst one though.

• Like 1

i'll judge it once we've stopped our summer spending, at the moment with the players we've shifted, signings we've made and then hopefully another 2 or 3 players in (more if benteke leaves) if we spend around £30-40m this summer then with the FFP in place i dont see what more a new owner could do this summer

and then who buys the baggies, if it is the 9th richest man in china who has a similar name to the richest man in china and lost a couple of hundred million in the stock market last week then i wont be particularly bothered

long way to go before i can tell if this is a good or a bad thing, under fox and sherwood we dont look as doomed as we once were

• Like 1

If they didn't want a manager that speaks his mind and is very open about how things at the club are going then Fox and Lerner made the wrong choice hiring Sherwood. If anyone at the club was going to spill the beans eventually it was going to be Sherwood.

• Like 2

I said previously that i don't think we will survive another PL season with Randy at the helm

His luck will run out eventually i think this is the season were just like Wigan they went down in the end

We lose a chairman who may no longer be invested in the club long term but he definitely cares, there’s no doubt he wants to see the club succeed.

I'm amazed people still think this. What's it based on?

I have no doubt he cares about his investment staying in the premier league, there's not much to suggest he is interested in anything else.

If he can't sell a 17th place club, then he's faced with a couple of solutions:

1) Suck it up and continue to be stuck with a financial drain

2) Get the club right and make it a more saleable asset

He's a businessman, so there's only one likely option there. A top half Aston Villa is worth more to Randy Lerner than a perennial 17th place Aston Villa

And we're yet to see if he will back us to the limits of FFP.

Previous form shows that that's exactly what he has been doing though

• Like 1

Lets hope so. I also think Sherwood if he felt the top was hindering him would perhaps walk as he's not the type who is happy to be associated with losers. So he must be confident of support. 

• Like 1

I'm disappointed that Lerner is stuck with Villa, and Villa are stuck with Lerner. But I am not the only one to express this opinion. Am I?

You're definitely not the only one, I generally share that sentiment.  Though this whole FFP thing is really screwing us up, and with the Sky money afforded us...we could bring in the wrong sort in a new owner.

At least we have an owner who will give something, back a manager that we can actually look forward to...new chairman on the cards for running things and Fox seemingly an improvement.

The whole Lerner show of yesteryears was much worse than it is today, and if I have to make peace with the potential of him being the owner going forward at least some elements of that shit show have improved.

Â