Who do you blame for Villa's current situation?

Marka Ragnos

Who's to blame for Villa's current situation?  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Who's mostly to blame for Villa's current situation?

• Randy Lerner
    • Tom Fox
    • The players
    • "The System" -- FFP, the ELP, the FA
    • Supporters
    • Paul Lambert
    • Fate, fortunate, bad luck, etc.
    • Other - please explain below

lol, the way this thread is going...if we put the poll up again but added an option "the thread about apportioning blame", then seems a lot of people would vote that as the reason for our current situation.

Lerner all day for me, MON was terrible for the finances of the club in hindsight but I'm sure at the time our owner was thinking "I'll get a manager, give him loads of cash and tell him champions league is what I want to buy and no expense spared".  MON probably set out to do just that, he just wasn't acute...or simply good enough.  But who do you blame, MON for trying or our naive owner who is now bleeding us dry...

• Like 1

I find it odd that not many don't blame Lambert. Why did so many want him gone by the end if he has no blame?

I find that odd. I dislike Lerner and the way he's run the club as much as most fans but Lambert has not done enough with these players while here for 2 and a half years.

• Like 2

I blame myself. I'm not from Birmingham, have no association to the city, no family have ever lived there. I chose to follow Villa when I was a kid. I'm now married to a Liverpool fan who's family are all Liverpool fans and actual Scousers. Every day I have to listen to them talking about challenging the top 4 / winning the league, seeing them win football matches, while we get served the tripe we've been given for the last 5 years and face the very real prospect of being relegated. I'm originally from the north east, so I guess my Newcastle supporting mates are already sharpening their knives for the inevitable. I'm just fed up with it all to be honest. Time to let go. Not let it affect me anymore. It's just football.

Oh, and I also blame Lerner for not selling when MON walked out.

I find it odd that not many don't blame Lambert. Why did so many want him gone by the end if he has no blame?

I find that odd. I dislike Lerner and the way he's run the club as much as most fans but Lambert has not done enough with these players while here for 2 and a half years.

Too short-termist.  Nobody would blame Tim Sherwood, but he currently has a 100% loss record.

We seem to overstate our players quite a lot, as well.  Many people are saying we have a squad that is "easily capable of mid-table" - there's never been anything to suggest this.  This may well be down to Lambert, but until we see someone do better with the squad, how can we conclude the squad is that good?

For me, the overriding reason we are in the place we are is because of one thing - money.  Lerner overspent it/didn't spend it wisely and financial regulations came in that meant we couldn't subsidise over the loss (not that I'm saying Lerner would do that, but he might have).  The ridiculous overspend on players (especially on long term contracts) has massively shot us in the foot.

Lambert didn't improve over his term as manager and there's certainly an amount of blame that lies at his door with regards to our league position.  As the majority shareholder of the blame?  Not for me.

• Like 2

it was a toss up between Lerner and the Players.  I chose the players.

Notwithstanding Lerner's lack of investment I am still amazed at how crap some of the players have been this season.  Frankly we should be where the Baggies are in the table (and that's not saying much).

Where is the guy to pull everyone up a give them a kick up the ar5e.  oh captain my captain - yeah right!!

• Like 1

Paul Lambert, the worst manager we have had for years

A good manager needs to be able to go toe-to-toe with the owner, and I get the feeling Lambert NEVER did that with Lerner. He wasn't willing to be straight with Lerner, or he held to some sort of "deal with the devil" upon hiring, never to question Lerner or really challenge him. A charismatic, winning manager can pull that off -- Lambert, I fear, was neither.

Edited by Shifted To Neutral
  • Like 1

i dont think anyone is solely to blame, it falls on everyone, lerner, mon, houllier, mcleish, lambert, faulkner. Everyone whos had a possition with our club in the last couple of years carries a bit of the blame, some more than others but just blaiming one specific person for the whole mess we are in is not possible.

I wonder where MON would sit if he was added to that poll. I'd imagine he'd be fairly similar to Lambert. MON started the footballing mess, Lambert continued it.

That would be madness if he was IMO.

Too short-termist. Nobody would blame Tim Sherwood, but he currently has a 100% loss record.

We seem to overstate our players quite a lot, as well. Many people are saying we have a squad that is "easily capable of mid-table" - there's never been anything to suggest this. This may well be down to Lambert, but until we see someone do better with the squad, how can we conclude the squad is that good?

For me, the overriding reason we are in the place we are is because of one thing - money. Lerner overspent it/didn't spend it wisely and financial regulations came in that meant we couldn't subsidise over the loss (not that I'm saying Lerner would do that, but he might have). The ridiculous overspend on players (especially on long term contracts) has massively shot us in the foot.

Lambert didn't improve over his term as manager and there's certainly an amount of blame that lies at his door with regards to our league position. As the majority shareholder of the blame? Not for me.

Yeah maybe majority of the blame is a bit harsh. He certainly takes a huge chunk of it though for me.

So we blame MON for spending stupid amounts of money on crap players.

We blame Houllier for being ill and buying Bent who saved us from relegation.

We blame McLeish for being useless before and after he joined us and being from Blues.

We blame Lambert for not getting a crap team higher in the table.

We'll blame Sherwood for getting us relegated and not storming the Championship.

Not for me. Lerner 100% - he gave MON to much power, he didn't do enough to ensure Houllier could succeed (more luck this one though) he hired a manager a majority would hate with a history of relegation in McLeish and he didn't give Lambert the funds to buy players that were needed to repair the Houllier/McLiesh years. He has now given Sherwood no chance by hiring him after a transfer window.

Couple all that with his inability to hire footballing staff to run this club well, and his amazing ability to alienate, ignore and disillusion fans and Lerner stands tall as the ONLY man at fault for all this.

• Like 1

You say that but a lot of people in this thread have mentioned MON. Also, doesn't a huge chunk mean the majority still?

I know and I think its madness.

A huge chunk but then maybe Lerner takes a bigger one.

I think its close between the two of them. Lerner's investment has been poor but I don't think we should be this bad.

If its blame for why we're a bottom half team then 100% lerner. But if its for the situation we're currently in Lambert has to take a big part of it.