Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

Is this yet another manager who selects Gabby regardless of how poor he has been playing?

If everyone that has been poor this season was dropped we'd only have 3 players starting and they'd all be in defence. I like the look of the lineup, a bit hesitant with Richardson, but Tims clearly gone for attacking intent and Richardson has been a lot better going forward than Sissokho, fingers crossed it pans out

I guess the truth is that, after about 100 years of trying, we still haven't solved our left back problem. Guess he thinks Richardson is more capable of playing the way he wants than Cissokho.

First time for a long time that I haven't felt a dull and nervous dread 30 minutes before a Villa kick off. Also haven't been obsessing about what our relegation rivals are doing this weekend.

Let's hope I'll be as chirpy come 5 o'clock.

I guess the truth is that, after about 100 years of trying, we still haven't solved our left back problem. Guess he thinks Richardson is more capable of playing the way he wants than Cissokho.

First time for a long time that I haven't felt a dull and nervous dread 30 minutes before a Villa kick off. Also haven't been obsessing about what our relegation rivals are doing this weekend.

Let's hope I'll be as chirpy come 5 o'clock.

I'm nervous because a loss and I'll actually care. I became so passive to losing under Lambert it was unreal. I'm actually watching this game with expectation lol. 

Sky have it as a 433

Gil alongside Delph and Sanchez

Doubt that's how we will set up

love it if we did.. might leave us a tad exposed at the back but the whole point is we want to score goals and win..... even if we win 4-3. No point playing the Lambert defensive way and not scoring and eventually losing the game. I want Gil in midfield and not in the front three or on the wing.

Sky have it as a 433

love it if we did.. might leave us a tad exposed at the back but the whole point is we want to score goals and win..... even if we win 4-3. No point playing the Lambert defensive way and not scoring and eventually losing the game. I want Gil in midfield and not in the front three or on the wing.

Yeah I agree Gil definitely needs to play centrally to get on the ball as often as possible

Maybe he'll play just in from of Delph and Sanchez

Sky have it as a 433

Yeah I agree Gil definitely needs to play centrally to get on the ball as often as possible

Maybe he'll play just in from of Delph and Sanchez

under Lambert Sanchez was going forward a bit and taking pot shots.. if GIl is in a 3 man midfield.. he just needs to sit in our half and not really go past the half way line. Thats how he played for Colombia which allowed Haaaaamez time and space to go forward and do his thing.

Sinclair, Richardson, Sanchez and Gabby in, looks like adding pace/dynamism has been a big decider. Seems a good idea - everything about our play has been too slow lately. would be great if we can get a goal early and really play on front foot. Don't exactly trust Richardson defensively but Cissokho is pretty limited at going forward and often slowed our play with his one-footedness.

I'd guess Gabby, Gil and Sinclair will be switching between the central and wide positions, so it could look 442 sometimes and 4231/433 at others. Need Delph and Sanchez to have a big game today.

Nice to see Sinclair start, the goal in the cup will be good for his confidence so hopefully this will add to it too and he can get back to the sinclair of Swansea days.

I really feel like Benteke will score today, the last 30 mins against Leicester he seemed determined to score, like used to play.

first game in a long time where I actually believe we can win it and outplay our opponents. I really, really hope it's not just misguided optimism. come on Tim and prove all the doubters wrong. UTV!!

Big test today. Although Stoke are no longer considered one of our relegation rivals they are one of the teams that we should be targeting to beat at VP. I expect to see a Sherwood inspired side more likely to 'go for it' than what we have been used to.