Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

Having mentioned in another thread the other day about NUTS 2 areas in Wales and how West Wales was the 'poorest area in Northern Europe' - but the map itself didn't necessarily reflect the population distibution, this map caught my eye.

http://tom-e-white.com/datavision/03-wales-population-cartogram.html

Most people in Wales live in Cardiff and the South Wales Valleys, which were industrialised in the 18th century. The west and middle of the country is very sparsely populated.

This visualization shows the relative size of local authority populations in Wales by distorting the map so that each authority has an area that reflects the size of its population.

03-wales-population-cartogram.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Is there a safer route? I was looking at the route for that Singapore Airlines flight from London to Singapore that hit bad turbulence, and wow, that route ... not sure about that.

ai2html-graphic-desktop.c08fb127.thumb.png.f2ef1d7d059634c8c6f17539c654215e.png

Edited by Marka Ragnos

59 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Is there a safer route? I was looking at the route for that Singapore Airlines flight from London to Singapore that hit bad turbulence, and wow, that route ... not sure about that.

Fairly standard route to be honest, seems to avoid the major hotspots with high altitude missile ability

• Like 1

On 27/03/2024 at 08:31, VILLAMARV said:

Having mentioned in another thread the other day about NUTS 2 areas in Wales and how West Wales was the 'poorest area in Northern Europe' - but the map itself didn't necessarily reflect the population distibution, this map caught my eye.

http://tom-e-white.com/datavision/03-wales-population-cartogram.html

03-wales-population-cartogram.png

This map essentially shows what used to be called the Desert of Wales, or the Cambrian Desert. The middle of Wales is basically empty, an area covering hundreds of miles of moorland with nothing but a few sheep and some conifer plantations, across rolling hills and gorges. Beautiful but desolate, a place you go through to get somewhere else.

2 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

ai2html-graphic-desktop.c08fb127.thumb.png.f2ef1d7d059634c8c6f17539c654215e.png

Just got a text from my brother who lives in Koh Samui. He was traveling back from the mainland on a ferry under that storm. He was shitting himself. Driving on to the hefty was horrific.

• Shocked 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Fairly standard route to be honest, seems to avoid the major hotspots with high altitude missile ability

Yes, you are indeed, addressing my concerns, weather aside. I think it's a fascinating rap map, but I didn't know that this route was standard or anything. It obviously skirts around Iran and Afghanistan, threatening its way through Turkmenistan and Tajikistan. I guess I was just thinking that it comes awful close to some areas that I guess can be dangerous? It's a route that reflects geopolitics, for sure.

37 minutes ago, colhint said:

Just got a text from my brother who lives in Koh Samui. He was traveling back from the mainland on a ferry under that storm. He was shitting himself. Driving on to the hefty was horrific.

Wow. That's interesting. It's interesting that your brother lives there, too is hefty slang for a ferry?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

It's a map of 25,000+ black holes in just one slice of the sky. I know -- it kind of sucks hard.

There's no denying that black holes are the most destructive force in the universe, with their swirling, light-swallowing maw devouring anything that crosses its perilous event horizon.

As sophisticated modern instruments and deep space probes allow scientists to detect and study more about these mysterious objects, it's high time we have a proper roadmap of the churning phenomenon to adjust our starship trajectories by and save ourselves the potential nightmare of accidentally getting sucked into its enveloping clutches should we ever venture that far.

To aid in identifying the locations of these sinister sites, an international team of scientists led by The Netherland's Leiden University has recently submitted for publication a comprehensive map pinpointing the locations of 25,000 supermassive black holes to the journal Astronomy & Astrophysics

map2.jpg

Edited by Marka Ragnos

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

IMG-0499.jpg

Hide contents

Places Johnny Cash has visited based on his song "I’ve Been Everywhere"

Johnny Cash, my arse. "I've Been Everywhere" is a song written by Australian country singer Geoff Mack in 1959, and popularised by Lucky Starr. A version of the song with different lyrics was popularised by Hank Snow in 1962.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Reveal hidden contents

Johnny Cash, my arse. "I've Been Everywhere" is a song written by Australian country singer Geoff Mack in 1959, and popularised by Lucky Starr. A version of the song with different lyrics was popularised by Hank Snow in 1962.

You beat me to it 🍻

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Hide contents

I'm glad to learn about this man. Never heard of him, tbh. To my unschooled ears, I can sort of knit together strands of the same skiffly vibe in Mack and Lonnie Donnegan (sp?) and this side of Johnny Cash. I've Been Everywhere and Rock Island Line seem connected somehow.

9 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I've been everywhere.....

No mention of Stafford Prison. 

1 year since his demise. 

IMG-0288.jpg

• Haha 1

Â