The Structure above the manager

smetrov

Im sure the subject of what we plan to do with hiring and the structure was made clear before hired, a DOF isnt necessarily picking the signings but everyone works together on it. If we can get a DOF with Fox above him and Sherwood and his staff around him then thats a decent structure to start with.

Director of Football Operations is different from a Director of Football.

Here's what the Birmingham Mail said about the post last month (in an article that may well have been written by Tom Fox) 

Unlike at other clubs the director of football role will not be heavily centred around identifying and purchasing players.

Villa feel that with new director of recruitment Paddy Reilly already doing a decent job at Bodymoor Heath there is little need to add another commanding head to that section.

Instead, Fox is thought to want someone who can look critically at areas such as sports medicine, data analysis and athletic performance to ensure the claret and blues are reaching their maximum potential.

While the exact duties are not yet clear, it’s thought that a new arrival would not come in and under-cut any football responsibilities that the manager is in charge of.

That would mean no interfering with the squad, team selection and game-based issues.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-searching-director-football-8482529

Not sure anyone really knows what this post will entail - maybe it depends on who they get to fill it.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

I don't see anything radical here. I doubt many clubs hire a manager and give him full control anymore. Too much money is involved.

Sherwood will be in charge of the footballing side of things, with the directors of recruitment and  'footballing operations' fulfilling duties that were previously left to the manager and his coaching staff. Now, there will at least be some continuity between regimes.

Seems like you are right.

He is clearly not a fan of directors of football. “No – I’ve worked under a director of football,’’ said Sherwood, who operated under Franco Baldini at Spurs. “There is no point any club bringing in a footballer who the manager doesn’t want. Because there is no-one accountable then. Everyone is looking to blame everybody else. As we’ve seen.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/11416924/.html

One of Paul Lambert’s last acts as Aston Villa manager was to recommend the appointment of Scottish Herald football reporter Thomas Jordan as the new communications chief at Villa Park. Unfortunately, Jordan’s first day in the job coincided with the arrival of new manager Tim Sherwood.

Here's what the Birmingham Mail said about the post last month (in an article that may well have been written by Tom Fox) 

Unlike at other clubs the director of football role will not be heavily centred around identifying and purchasing players.

Villa feel that with new director of recruitment Paddy Reilly already doing a decent job at Bodymoor Heath there is little need to add another commanding head to that section.

Instead, Fox is thought to want someone who can look critically at areas such as sports medicine, data analysis and athletic performance to ensure the claret and blues are reaching their maximum potential.

While the exact duties are not yet clear, it’s thought that a new arrival would not come in and under-cut any football responsibilities that the manager is in charge of.

That would mean no interfering with the squad, team selection and game-based issues.

Not sure anyone really knows what this post will entail - maybe it depends on who they get to fill it.

Has Con be announced yet?

There is just too much money in football for the manager to have complete say on all transfer matters. I am all for a sensible structure to help Sherwood recruit the best players and to increase revenue so Lerner can sell his asset.

UK is the only place a manager has or expects that type of control. A good DOF will be out of the spotlight trying to see through a vision from the youth teams through to the first team and recruiting to suit that philosophy. Recruiting the head coach etc. to suit too. I doubt we'll go that far, but for continuity's sake it would be a good idea to have a long term view above the position of head coach/manager. It woudl avoid a repeat of what happened when MON left and the radical changes of approach seen with Houllier then McLeish and then Lambert. 

Seems like you are right.

He is clearly not a fan of directors of football. “No – I’ve worked under a director of football,’’ said Sherwood, who operated under Franco Baldini at Spurs. “There is no point any club bringing in a footballer who the manager doesn’t want. Because there is no-one accountable then. Everyone is looking to blame everybody else. As we’ve seen.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/11416924/.html

I just love Tim already.

let the manager manage and the coaches coach, theres no point in someone coming in an over riding Sherwoods every decision and buying players who TS doesnt want

the manager should be responsible for player purchases, coaching employment and contract renewals, or am i just being old fashioned?

what we need is 3 good coaches, goalkeeping, defensive and attacking

i think the problem in this country is that a dof usually is an ex manager.maybe it should be a job for someone with a scouting background instead,identifying players and the manager then picking the ones he wants.then the dof deals with the club/player initially.

• Like 1

Do we think Paddy's being groomed for the role? 

He has been seen a lot recently with Tim and more recently Randy. Seems like a lot of exposure for a director of recruitment. 

• Like 1

let the manager manage and the coaches coach, theres no point in someone coming in an over riding Sherwoods every decision and buying players who TS doesnt want

the manager should be responsible for player purchases, coaching employment and contract renewals, or am i just being old fashioned?

what we need is 3 good coaches, goalkeeping, defensive and attacking

That only happens when the model is fundamentally broken.

First Team Coach coaches the team, identifies week spots and asks the DOF to recruit to improve the squad in the areas of concern.

DOF identifies players and shortlists according to what the club can afford - discusses this with first team coach who agrees targets for the DOF to recruit.  

There is no reason that model can't work if everyone pulls together and doesn't act like arrogant idiots. Its a joint decision - not one over another.

• Like 3

Â