The Structure above the manager

smetrov

Director of Football Operations is different from a Director of Football.

Seems like you are right.

He is clearly not a fan of directors of football. “No – I’ve worked under a director of football,’’ said Sherwood, who operated under Franco Baldini at Spurs. “There is no point any club bringing in a footballer who the manager doesn’t want. Because there is no-one accountable then. Everyone is looking to blame everybody else. As we’ve seen.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/11416924/.html

I just love Tim already.

Baldini is supposed to be a bit of a cock by all accounts, Roma fans don't like him and in Italy he doesn't have a reputation like say Marotta.

What Eames says above is how a head coach and a DOF should operate, Sherwood is right that no player should be forced on the manager/head coach but if the two are workign together properly that never happens anyway.

let the manager manage and the coaches coach, theres no point in someone coming in an over riding Sherwoods every decision and buying players who TS doesnt want

the manager should be responsible for player purchases, coaching employment and contract renewals, or am i just being old fashioned?

what we need is 3 good coaches, goalkeeping, defensive and attacking

That only happens when the model is fundamentally broken.

First Team Coach coaches the team, identifies week spots and asks the DOF to recruit to improve the squad in the areas of concern.

DOF identifies players and shortlists according to what the club can afford - discusses this with first team coach who agrees targets for the DOF to recruit.  

There is no reason that model can't work if everyone pulls together and doesn't act like arrogant idiots. Its a joint decision - not one over another.

isnt this were the scouting coordinator/head of scouting could do that job though, and of course, still be answerable to the manager?

isnt this were the scouting coordinator/head of scouting could do that job though, and of course, still be answerable to the manager?

No. For me the scouts work for and with the DoF and provide the intelligence needed to enable the DoF to identify and shortlist players for the managers consideration. The DoF then does the negotitation with the other club.

Director of Football Operations is different from a Director of Football.

Seems like you are right.

He is clearly not a fan of directors of football. “No – I’ve worked under a director of football,’’ said Sherwood, who operated under Franco Baldini at Spurs. “There is no point any club bringing in a footballer who the manager doesn’t want. Because there is no-one accountable then. Everyone is looking to blame everybody else. As we’ve seen.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/11416924/.html

I just love Tim already.

Baldini is supposed to be a bit of a cock by all accounts, Roma fans don't like him and in Italy he doesn't have a reputation like say Marotta.

What Eames says above is how a head coach and a DOF should operate, Sherwood is right that no player should be forced on the manager/head coach but if the two are workign together properly that never happens anyway.

But responsibility is shared in that model. Tim doesn't like it, and I agree.

• 2 weeks later...

ESPN linking the coach of my local norwegian side Stabæk, Bob Bradley, to a job with Villa as director of football.

He definitely knows his football, and performed a miracle in Norway last season by leading a team averaging under 20 years and with a total squad wage bill of £650,000/year to 9th in the norwegian premier division. He doesnt have much international experience though, except coaching USA and Egypt. His connections in the US are formidable, but I'm not too sure about his connections in Europe.

http://www.espnfc.com/barclays-premier-league/story/2328132/ex-usmnt-coach-bob-bradley-in-running-for-aston-villa-director-of-football-sources-say

Does anyone know if TS would likely have a substantive part in choosing a DOF? Or would he at most have a pro forma role? Or none at all?

The DoF is supposed to be part of the constant in the club, meaning that when managers come and go, they stay, driving the footballing ethos forward. So in that respect, I'd imagine (and hope) Sherwood would have absolutely no say whatsoever, because if it's done right the DoF will outlast him by years and years

• Like 1

It's a  'Director of Football Operations' that we're meant to be interested in which seems to have a different job description to a traditional DOF. I'm not expecting a major name to come in and fill that role. If the Birmingham Mail article with Tom Fox is anything to go by. Plus it's all up in the air if a takeover goes through in the summer.

Â