The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

As much as it kills me to say it....Man U played very well in a professional sort of way.

Offensively not much, but defensively very astute their interplay dictated the pattern of the game, they contained us and

denied us any plan we may of had to raise the tempo

In short, they snuffed us out, and due to so much transition, they capitalised.

• Like 2

Tactically, he got it wrong yesterday. I've no idea why he thought that three up front, which was ultimately shit against Bournemouth would actually produce anything against a better side. Lambert used to get dog's abuse for persevering with things that clearly weren't going to work.

Like the team, he's young and he's learning but as a manager, there's a lot less leeway than there is for a player.

Yep, I really want a reactionery manager. One who, when something doesn't work quite well in the first game of the season, with a fresh bunch of players completely rips it up and chucks it in the bin. That is the way forward.

no-one suggested anything so extreme to be fair. But I for one want a manager that reacts to what is patently obvious in front of him.

If mourinho started triple subbing people after 30 mins of a game when they were doing well we'd all think he was mad. to do it when you're not in control in order to change proceedings while you still have an element of control is what makes him a billy big balls genius imo.

Tactically, he got it wrong yesterday. I've no idea why he thought that three up front, which was ultimately shit against Bournemouth would actually produce anything against a better side. Lambert used to get dog's abuse for persevering with things that clearly weren't going to work.

Like the team, he's young and he's learning but as a manager, there's a lot less leeway than there is for a player.

Yep, I really want a reactionery manager. One who, when something doesn't work quite well in the first game of the season, with a fresh bunch of players completely rips it up and chucks it in the bin. That is the way forward.

Not only that, but given that Gestede was still not considered ready to go more than circa 30 minutes, what were the attacking options? Hutton up top with Cole and Sanchez either side of him?

Not really-Kozak is clearly out of the reckoning and they obviously only wanted Gestede on for half an hour.

Theres a massive difference between not playing a player and getting it tactically wrong and personally, last night would have been terrible for Kozak given the limited touches he would have got.

• Like 1

One or two on here have surely missed their vocation in life, if only Tom Fox had known about them we wouldn't be stuck with this idiot Sherwood !

Or maybe he knew the pros and cons AND stuff we don't know or consider....hmmmm, which could it be ?

• Like 3

One or two on here have surely missed their vocation in life, if only Tom Fox had known about them we wouldn't be stuck with this idiot Sherwood !

Or maybe he knew the pros and cons AND stuff we don't know or consider....hmmmm, which could it be ?

Maybe you forget that this is a "forum"?

"A place where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged or expressed."

I don't have a big problem with Sherwood and think he like many of the players he has bought, needs time nor do I have a problem with people challenging his decisions. Tim has as yet NOT proved himself and is definitely NOT above questioning. He has brought some excitement back to a club that was going nowhere. Now he needs to show he can take us forward.

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 3

I'm as frustrated with losing as anyone....But Utd's craft on the ball was much better than folk are giving them credit for.....They may not be the free flowing, swashbuckling team of the past, but their work on the ball was professional....They won't lose many.

most of our new faces are not match fit and under those conditions we did well to stay with them.

I too think he may of had other options....but I'm not as certain it would have changed the result....its his call

just as one example alone....we haven't got a player that can thread a ball like Mata....you can only juggle names, it won't change their individual skill.

• Like 1

Its his second game with players that he has purchased. That combined with a couple of players absent through injury or not starting due to fitness issues, plus potentially more signings to come soon means that the line up in a months time, from an attacking perspective, might look completely different. 

I hope it does because those three up front, haven't worked well together so far and I don't think will ever do.

1) You need managers who can react quickly to rectify their mistakes, otherwise you get left with stubborn gits who continually fail.

2) It didn't work at all, not even a case of 'didn't work quite well', it was rubbish - we didn't look like scoring until Gestede came on. 

3) How is changing one player but keeping the same formation 'completely ripping it up and chucking it in the bin'?

1) You need managers who can react quickly to rectify their mistakes, otherwise you get left with stubborn gits who continually fail.

2) It didn't work at all, not even a case of 'didn't work quite well', it was rubbish - we didn't look like scoring until Gestede came on.

3) How is changing one player but keeping the same formation 'completely ripping it up and chucking it in the bin'?

1) I don't think you are grasping the consensus that this is a new team. His band learning to play to his tune. The only player in the current XI to have started the FA Cup final is Westwood. What happened to long term ambition? If we are judging him by immediate results, which I think is wrong at this stage, then we are judging him on a 1-0 defeat to Manchester United.

2) We didn't look like scoring when Gestede came on either.

3) We are light on attacking options due to injuries and fitness. Gestede isn't fit enough to start, that seems plain to me. The only other option I have seen presented was to start Kozak, who seems to have taken on this mythical status as a man who holds the ball up, links the midfield and attack and is generally anything other than the poacher that he is.

Give it another couple of weeks at least. Let's get players back, give them more time to gel and for the ideas to formulate. In the meanwhile we have played 2, won 1, lost 1.

• Like 3

1) Doesn't matter if it's a new team or not. It's common sense that a front three of players with one dimension between them, is probably not going to work. It didn't work at all against Bournemouth, there were no encouraging signs from our attack, so why bother with it against Man U?

2) We were talking about the Bournemouth game.

3) Nobody is saying that Kozak does those things but he's not just a poacher either. He has good positional sense, he is a nuisance in the box and can finish. Most importantly, he offers something different from Sinclair, Ayew and Gabby - so the defence have to think about more than just one thing.

1) Doesn't matter if it's a new team or not. It's common sense that a front three of players with one dimension between them, is probably not going to work. It didn't work at all against Bournemouth, there were no encouraging signs from our attack, so why bother with it against Man U?

2) We were talking about the Bournemouth game.

3) Nobody is saying that Kozak does those things but he's not just a poacher either. He has good positional sense, he is a nuisance in the box and can finish. Most importantly, he offers something different from Sinclair, Ayew and Gabby - so the defence have to think about more than just one thing.

1) For the reasons I mentioned. I don't agree that they have "one dimension" between them. I agree they have one particular skill in common, pace. I also agree that none of them have played particularly well up until now.

2) Right. Gestede still isn't fit.

3) The type of player that relies on service then. The idea that giving Premier League defenders "something else to think about" by playing a goal poacher up top and not giving him service will suddenly give teeth to our attack is absolute nonsense, in my opinion. I cannot see the logic.

Players like Gil, Grealish and Traore will make a difference. If Kozak is the answer I hope it's a question that becomes redundant fast. In the meanwhile Ayew in particular obviously needs the minutes and Sinclair has earned his chance. Can see the issue with Gabby, I think he should be dropped and I think he might be.

Â