The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

I will be surprised next season if we have anything like the form that kept us in the league towards the end of this season.  Even ignoring for a moment the likely departures from the playing squad, I think Sherwood has a massive job ahead in being the day to day manager of a club.  All he knows so far are fire fights.  Now who knows, he might end up being very good at it.  My worry is not even so much his coaching ability which is supposed to be very good (albeit with developing youngsters rather than improving senior players).  I really do worry about his gob.  I wonder how long a very outspoken person can go without saying something that upsets some of the players within his squad.  We've seen before inside and outside Villa that there's a line between putting players in their place and between said players deciding you're just a knob and not playing for you.  My worry is Sherwood doesn't know that line.

I also worry about the form that we finished the season with.  Sherwood's Spurs had much better players and Sherwood was able to beat the sides lower than him but he got properly hammered by the sides above him.  If you apply that logic to Villa then we might be in trouble.  Again, even ignoring the fact that we might be without Benteke.

These are just concerns rather than predictions.  But the 'worst case' scenario with Sherwood in charge doesn't bear thinking about.

Let's just hope Lerner and Fox give him every chance to do a good job by providing him with the resources to compete.  The rest is up to him.  Best of luck Tim.

I don't actually agree we that we won't reach the form they kept us up next season. I think if he can bring in the right players, a good pre-season training, getting the players fit enough to play his high intensity game then we can even improve on that. The players really wern't fit enough to play that way, hence why we ran out of steam the last 3 games. 

Edited by PaulC

The only thing that makes me think that Lerner will back Sherwood is the fact that he took the job at all.

I can't see Sherwood taking the job knowing the funds to improve would be what they have been previously.

Isn't that the same thing we heard people say when Lambert took over?

The only thing that makes me think that Lerner will back Sherwood is the fact that he took the job at all.

I can't see Sherwood taking the job knowing the funds to improve would be what they have been previously.

Isn't that the same thing we heard people say when Lambert took over?

It's clutching at straws I know.

The argument at the time was that whilst £40 million first season seems like a lot there was a hell of a lot of gaps in the squad that needed plugging. Now it would seem that the same job needs to be done again but with potentially even less funds available.

This for me. I also think Fox is a key here. he sounds and seems like a winner so I cant imagine he left Arsenal for Villa to be lied to about ambitions for the club

Probably the wrong thread for this but what do people make of Sunderland's supposed £50m warchest? How is it that they can afford to spend that amount and we can't?

It seems we're the only team in the league effected by FFP rules.

Everyone is affected by it, however Sunderland's cumulative losses in the last 3 years have been 62m. Remember, we made a 52m loss in just ONE of those seasons, never mind totting up the others

And it now seems that FFP has given this awful owner an nice excuse to hide behind for some fans. 

FFP affects nothing in the past, only in the present and future. If Bill Gates comes in and buys the club he can put precisely the same amount as Randy would in. In your blind rage against Lerner you seem to forget that a new owner cannot come in and put money into the playing staff beyond the amount Randy has been until other expenses are further cut and/or significantly more commercial revenue is generated by the club.

To that end, we hired Tom Fox last season, which was a very good move. Should something similar have happened 9 years ago? Absolutely. Did it? No. What can we do about that now? Absolutely nothing. Swapping Lerner out with anyone else will not make a blind bit of difference regarding how much we spend, in fact, any new owner that comes in won't put anywhere near the money Lerner did into the club. They might well spend less better, however, but I'm getting incredibly frustrated by the amount of people who think "new owner, we'll spend money" or "we're not spending because Lerner is a tight sod".

Neither of those things are true.

• Like 2

And neither is this line " If Bill Gates comes in and buys the club he can put precisely the same amount as Randy would in"

Incredibly rich owners an spent what they like

If they can afford the fine

If they can "generate income from revenue streams" a la some new sponsorship from say oh i dont know IBM.

Not saying we are getting Bill gates or anything just saying there are ways around FFP.  We have a very rich owner,  he's just not rich enough.

And neither is this line " If Bill Gates comes in and buys the club he can put precisely the same amount as Randy would in"

Incredibly rich owners an spent what they like

If they can afford the fine

If they can "generate income from revenue streams" a la some new sponsorship from say oh i dont know IBM.

Not saying we are getting Bill gates or anything just saying there are ways around FFP.  We have a very rich owner,  he's just not rich enough.

Points deductions for domestic breaches, fines haven't actually been confirmed yet.

On your other point, you seem to ignore the fact that I mentioned the increase in commercial revenue, "until other expenses are further cut and/or significantly more commercial revenue is generated by the club". Would a mega rich owner be able to do that? They might, but they HAVE to do it to spend more. If we get one and they can then fantastic, but I'm not sure it'll be quite as easy as you do. That's why Fox is here

I'm in the same field as P3te, sometimes it's better the devil you know, okay Lerner has been a bit slow in modernising the clubs infrastructure, but he's done it now. We can't spend beyond our means, and if you look as soon as FFP became a very real possibility, that's the time he reigned in the spending. Would he have continued with the free spending attitude he had at the start of his reign when FFP first came in? We'll never really know, as the mission at that point was to reign in the annual losses, which unfrotunatley means cutting your cloth accordingly, and our losses where astronomical at one point, so much so if we sustained on that road we'd be possibly in the same place as Rangers now if RL wasn't going to put anymore money in. Anyay, point of my post being, has anyone got the final loss figures for the last few years?

I will be surprised next season if we have anything like the form that kept us in the league towards the end of this season.  Even ignoring for a moment the likely departures from the playing squad, I think Sherwood has a massive job ahead in being the day to day manager of a club.  All he knows so far are fire fights.  Now who knows, he might end up being very good at it.  My worry is not even so much his coaching ability which is supposed to be very good (albeit with developing youngsters rather than improving senior players).  I really do worry about his gob.  I wonder how long a very outspoken person can go without saying something that upsets some of the players within his squad.  We've seen before inside and outside Villa that there's a line between putting players in their place and between said players deciding you're just a knob and not playing for you.  My worry is Sherwood doesn't know that line.

I also worry about the form that we finished the season with.  Sherwood's Spurs had much better players and Sherwood was able to beat the sides lower than him but he got properly hammered by the sides above him.  If you apply that logic to Villa then we might be in trouble.  Again, even ignoring the fact that we might be without Benteke.

These are just concerns rather than predictions.  But the 'worst case' scenario with Sherwood in charge doesn't bear thinking about.

Let's just hope Lerner and Fox give him every chance to do a good job by providing him with the resources to compete.  The rest is up to him.  Best of luck Tim.

This is the most likely scenario, but it would possibly keep us up. And we did beat City, Spurs, Liverpool and Everton.

Under FFP clubs are permitted to lose up to £105million over a 3-year period. Villa approx losses last 3 years (most recent first):

4m

51m

17m

Therefore my thinking is if we had a very rich owner, he would be prepared to lose more than 72m over 3 years, and push the boundaries further. Although I think due to wealthier backers finding ways of increasing revenue streams they'd actually end up losing less than Lerner despite us spending more.

• Like 2

In your blind rage against Lerner you seem to forget that a new owner cannot come in and put money into the playing staff beyond the amount Randy has been until other expenses are further cut and/or significantly more commercial revenue is generated by the club.

So you know 100% fact that what we've spent on fees and wages is the absolute maximum possible?

Hindsight tells us the other 2 kept us up

Just on a small factual point, Lambert didn't keep us up in 2014/5 - he was clearly taking us towards relegation, which is why he was sacked and Sherwood brought in who got us results that Lambert could never have got and kept us up.

So the safe pair of hands wasn't the best option then.

I'd rather have a rollercoaster of a season with Sherwood than watch even 30 seconds more of the football we were playing under Lambert towards the end.

I also worry about the form that we finished the season with. Sherwood's Spurs had much better players and Sherwood was able to beat the sides lower than him but he got properly hammered by the sides above him. If you apply that logic to Villa then we might be in trouble.

This is the most likely scenario, but it would possibly keep us up. And we did beat City, Spurs, Liverpool and Everton.

... Sunderland City?

Â