The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

If we kept exactly the same squad as now I believe Sherwood would improve our position next year. The squad that was assembled by Lambert wasn't that bad but he made them worse. Guzan has been on a decline all season and unfortunately when keepers lose their place they struggle to get back in. He is still probably our best keeper for shot stopping and crosses but in today's game keepers have to install confidence and be very good at distribution and that's something he lacks. Hopefully Parkes can sort him out but if not I won't be too fussed if we swap him. I'd even have a look at Heaton from Burnley who's been impressive all season. No one knows our budget this year and replacing the keeper may not be the top priority but we should be looking at improving every position all the time.

In 2010 Guzan should've played in the Final and I reckon with Givens injury he'll probably play in this one...strange how things turn out!

We need 40m+ to improve.

Depends who we let go surely? If we let Tekkers go we need to spend twice that :)

My thoughts were 40m with him staying. :thumb:

We don't need £40m to improve - we could improve with £10m spent well. However, we would need to spend £40m to push top half of the table.

I'm actually pretty nervous about Timmy S in the transfer window.

10m is going backwards money, 20-30m is sitting still, 40m is pushing on. We just finished 17th and other teams will spend 20-30m around us. Edited by DK82

If Lerner stays he'll probably get around £12M to spend. Sherwood's line about 'the birthplace of a new generation' suggests to me that in terms of signings he's going to go for the young, hungry and cheap approach. And I guess the potential signings of the two Swindon midfielders point to that as well.

Edited by useless

We need 40m+ to improve.

Depends who we let go surely? If we let Tekkers go we need to spend twice that :)
My thoughts were 40m with him staying. :thumb:
We don't need £40m to improve - we could improve with £10m spent well. However, we would need to spend £40m to push top half of the table.

I'm actually pretty nervous about Timmy S in the transfer window.

10m is going backwards money, 20-30m is sitting still, 40m is pushing on. We just finished 17th and other teams will spend 20-30m around us.

Generally, I agree.  However, I think Sherwood would have us finishing higher than 17th even if the squad remained identical to current day.

£20-30m at the moment would be a significant investment in the team and would, in my opinion, certainly improve us.

We really need to focus our spending on a small number (2 or 3) quality additions - namely some full-backs that can defend and attack reasonably well because we've got ones that can do either but not both and it seems to be a big part of Sherwood's tactics. 

Sherwood needs to spend money or, no matter what people think, we will be back down in the relegation battle. The teams that finished just above us, such as Leicester and Newcastle will invest to avoid similar campaigns. If we go into next season with just adding a couple of Swindon players and another low-cost player here and there will not, in my opinion, be enough to make us comfortable next season.

I would like to see a new centre back, who costs money (no freebies), to come in and challenge for a starting place. I would also like a new left back as none of Richardson, Bennett or Cissokho have proven up to the job. Keep Cissokho in reserve maybe but that's about it. I would also like to see the back of Gabby too. We've played counter-attacking for so long just to utilise his pace and we showed in the cup semi final against Liverpool that we don't need to do that. I'd like to see another striker come in to the club so we have two starting forwards who can regularly score goals, instead of just having Benteke.

If Benteke goes in the summer - God help us!

How much did Lambert spend in his first season? Our financial situtation is better than then and the tv revenue has gone up, so even if we don't get new owners I expect Sherwood will be given substancial funds. 

Every summer people come up with reasons as to why we'll spend big this time, but it never happens. I'd be surprised if we spent more than £15M.

Edited by useless

Every summer people come up with reasons as to why we'll spend big this time, but it never happens. I'd be surprised if we spent more than £15M.

well if we spend 15m and sell benteke then this club is only going one place. It can't happen. 

Well if we sell Benteke I'd presume we'd spent a bit more. But personally I'd rather we didn't sell him for obvious reasons and because I'm not sure I'd trust Sherwood to spend the money wisely.

Well if we sell Benteke I'd presume we'd spent a bit more. But personally I'd rather we didn't sell him for obvious reasons and because I'm not sure I'd trust Sherwood to spend the money wisely.

Why? He's never even had a chance.

We don't need to spend £40m to push on. We do however need to spend a lot more than we did last summer.

With Vardy and Austin being rated at 15m, it'll take a lot for us to do anything with (say) £20m. Especially if a player like Vardy is rated at 15m. We need to be spending 40m minimum. 

Â