The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

The problem is, the defence costing us 3 goals in as many minutes automatically makes it night on impossible to recover from. None of that was due to tactics as such, it was just total piss poor play from the defence.

Someone else said this.

Yes those 3 goals put the game beyond us. But it wasn't as if we were only poor for those 3 goals. We were bad for 90 minutes yesterday.

We were, but once you've conceded 3 that quickly, tactics wuickly go out of the window.  Maybe things would have been different if Bentele had scored to have made it 1-0.  My point is that in pointing the finger yesterday, I would put 80% of the fault down to the shitness of the players, especially the defence.  A high line, 5-3-2, the Christmas Tree formation, all of this is largely pointless if your senior defender passes the ball back into the danger area, and his partner kept missing the ball in the air.

• Like 1

Most of the players were shit yesterday but most were playing in the wrong position, along with the high line you have chaos. Could we have changed things many would have done at half time, maybe an agenda here.

We most likely would've been relegated if we'd kept with Lambert but that has nothing to do with today's result. Sherwood messed up and deserves criticism today for it.

Haha why? We've survived, job complete. Today's result means nothing.

Why some are so eager to want to have a go at him is beyond me.

Still want Gill here ahead of him?

Why are you so surprised that people are criticising one of the worst villa performances many of us have ever seen?
Because it makes no difference. I keep reading he deserves criticism. Why? Why do you want to go out of your way to criticise him. He's done a great job and completed the difficult task set for him. Why do you want to criticise him after that? What do you get from it after we've survived?

Its not his team, its not something he's built over years. He's come into a difficult situation and been excellent. It hasn't always been great. So what?

But nobody is criticising the job he's done. Everyone is agreeing he's done an excellent job.

But that doesn't mean we're not allowed to criticise anything. That's blind faith.

Which is the irony.

You can't seem to understand that people can be 100% behind the manager and still constructively criticise performances.

Just like under the previous manager you couldn't understand people wanting him out but not thinking absolutely everything he did was bad.

Not everything is black and white. I'm behind Sherwood. He's done an excellent job and its overwhelmingly positive.

But that doesn't mean I can't see how terrible we were yesterday. It doesn't change how I judge what he's done with the club.

The irony is the amount of times you accused people of blindly following Lambert and not being able to see the negatives. And that's exactly what you're doing with Sherwood.

Not at all, I can see the negatives from yesterday.  It was awful.  But this wasn't a mid season game that has a lot of meaning to it.  This isn't a squad he's spent years putting together and working with.

Every manager and every player is going to have bad days, it happens to all of them.  I just don't see the point in being critical of the odd bad game when for the most part things are going brilliantly.

It would be like being critical of Benteke for his performance yesterday.  What's the point being critical of one bad game when for the most part he's been brilliant.  Same with someone like westwood, delph and cleverly.  Absolutely pointless getting on them for a poor performance yesterday because they've been absolutely fantastic recently.

You want to criticise after achieving his goal, go right ahead.  To be honest the people who are and who like posts like yours are the ones who were critical of him before he even managed his first game and are the ones who have made some daft comments towards him early on as well, so it's not a surprise.

For me i'll focus on the fantastic job he's done keeping us up and proving all the doubters wrong, or the ones who thought no one could do any better than the previous manager.  There will be bad results and bad performances because it happens to everyone, but as long as they're rare it's not an issue for me. 

"But this wasn't a mid season game that has a lot of meaning to it." ?!?!?!

No it was potentially a game we needed points out of to be safe from relefation!

And two hours later he'd achieved his goal. Making the result meaningless.

2 hours later being the key there

What's the point? Both events happened the same day.  The result has made no difference to Sherwood over achieving from when he first joined.

Edited by DCJonah

Just out of interest, When would it be OK to discuss his tactics in a game, a bad result or a poor performance?

This.

So if Hull had won 2 hours later, and we weren't safe it would be okay to criticize the performance? 

• Like 1

2 hours later being the key there

What's the point? Both events happened the same day.  The result has made no difference to Sherwood over achieving from when he first joined.

The point is at the time the game was played we needed points from that game if our rivals had a good afternoon later. We had the same reason to be motivated as the previous games. The fact we all felt a lot better when Hull were 2 goals down in no way deflects from what happened at the saints' ground.

I've said elsewhere in this thread that Sherwood has over acheved with us, he' done an amazing job. Does not mean that what Koeman himself said after the game wasn't true or that we weren't shit yesterday.

Awful game yesterday. Like Sherwood said, it was a rude awakening. We are still miles short of being good enough and that needs to be addressed in the summer and hopefully with some new owners and investment.

At the end of the day, he has kept us in the Premier League when we were all but down under Lambert. He had a mission and he has succeeded in flying colours under the circumstances.

Some absolute classic posts on the first 10 pages of this thread and in the new manager thread back when Sherwood was first linked.  Funnily enough the same people who posted such classics seem to be the ones that want to be critical the first time something goes really wrong.  Strange that.

• Like 1

Some absolute classic posts on the first 10 pages of this thread and in the new manager thread back when Sherwood was first linked.  Funnily enough the same people who posted such classics seem to be the ones that want to be critical the first time something goes really wrong.  Strange that.

Is there an emoticon for a handbag? How very sarcastic of you, well done.

He has certainly proved me wrong, he's been a marvel, a cheeky chirpy cockney miracle. I back him even without solid investment to have us mid table next year quite comfortably and playing entertaining football.

Playing the offside game and trying to squeeze the game so high up the pitch when not in position of the football, leaving ACRES of space between the back four and the keeper was suicidal though. Don't take my word for it though, Koeman said it was crying out to be punished and it was.

Love Sherwood though, he might be a dick, but he's OUR dick now ;)

Some absolute classic posts on the first 10 pages of this thread and in the new manager thread back when Sherwood was first linked. Funnily enough the same people who posted such classics seem to be the ones that want to be critical the first time something goes really wrong. Strange that.

Strange... And probably untrue. I was all for Sherwood when he joined, as I'm a very 'glass half full' Villa fan. But I see no issue in criticising Sherwood for yesterday's result.

Yes, this was bound to happen with the way Sherwood sets us up, and therefore I'm happy with 4/5 wins and a hammering, but that doesn't mean we can't be critical Jonah. Neither does the fact that we happened to be safe because of other results later in the day.

You're basically insinuating that we can congratulate him for the wins that got us to safety (safety that we got to, because of points that other teams dropped) but we can't criticise him for a loss, because other team dropped points which made is safe. It's a very biased way of looking at things.

• Like 3

Koeman will get his next season.

I hope so, still not forgiven him for that freekick against England ;)

The way he mentioned it in the post match suggests it was his plan after watching us and he was gloating after it worked...

• Like 2

Petty point scoring aside, we got mauled 6-1 ffs! "Want to be critical"? Are you actually serious? So a huge defeat which featured a record breaking hattrick can't be criticized because we were doing well beforehand? But here's the part you don't seem to understand. Someone can be critical of a particular performance without actually changing their opinion on how the manager has been performing overall. Strange that huh? What's strange is that you seem to think people haven't changed their opinion on Sherwood since the first few pages of this thread. A bit of projection there methinks. You seem to have entrenched views which you are unwilling to waver on regardless of the circumstances,hence why you find criticism of one particular game to be an affront to your view that Sherwood is doing a good job, despite the fact that it really isn't. 

• Like 1

Â