The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

I'm happy with Sherwood and think he is the right man to get us out the crap this season... but am not getting carried away. 12 months ago Poyet's Sunderland were flying, beating Man United, Man City and starting with Chelsea.This week he got the sack. I'll wait until after February next year (2 transfer windows and 2/3 of a season under his belt) before wanting to have his babies!

Although Im inclined to agree with the point and admittedly I cant remember what I though of Poyet at the time something feels different about Sherwood and co. Whether its just because I cant remember what it felt like when we sacked a manager during the season and we got a "bounce" or Im intoxicated because of the positivity coming from manager, players and fans alike. 

Poyet had been at Sunderland since the start of the season and had done pretty poorly until the last eight games or so. A bit different to the Sherwood scenario. A recent example of how a manager can come into a club and do really well and then it goes wrong is Rowett at sha.

Poyet had been at Sunderland since the start of the season and had done pretty poorly until the last eight games or so. A bit different to the Sherwood scenario. A recent example of how a manager can come into a club and do really well and then it goes wrong is Rowett at sha.

What? Poyet is a good example of what we hope Sherwood will do to our season this season regardless of how he did it. The point is that look how irrelevant Poyets Sunderland turn around last season is too this season. Made in Aston will be judging him after a full Season or atleast hope that he gets to complete it as if he dosnt saving us will mean **** **** all by then. 

Edited by Nicho

Not that I don't recognise that things can turn around very quickly, but Poyet didn't have the kind of instant impact at Sunderland that Sherwood's had here. He came in towards the beginning of the season, slogged it out for a few months and had a late surge towards the end of the season.

Di Canio would be a better comparison, although I think Sherwood's a lot more sensible than him.

What? Poyet is a good example of what we hope Sherwood will do to our season this season regardless of how he did it. The point is that look how irrelevant Poyets Sunderland turn around last season is too this season. Made in Aston will be judging him after a full Season or atleast hope that he gets to complete it as if he dosnt saving us will mean **** **** all by then. 

I just didn't think Poyet winning a few games against good opposition at the end of last season and then eventually getting the sack this season  was a very good example when exercising caution on Sherwood's decent start.

In the process of editing this post.

Still waiting :(

In the process of editing this post.

You are such a tease !  :)

In the process of sticking up for Lambert I got my facts slightly wrong, so I thought I'd better change it. Might as well shut up about him now anyway some of us think he did a good job others may disagree. I don't think any of us are going to change anyone else's mind based on what we can write on here.

I don't plan on revisiting that post again.

Poyet inherited them with one point in seven games and by all accounts they were a complete mess behind the scenes after the Di Canio departure. Keeping them up that season - no matter how it was done - was commendable. He also took them to a cup final.

Poyet inherited them with one point in seven games and by all accounts they were a complete mess behind the scenes after the Di Canio departure. Keeping them up that season - no matter how it was done - was commendable. He also took them to a cup final.

I don't disagree that he did a decent job. I was just a saying I don't think how things ended for him at Sunderland should serve as a cautionary tale when contemplating how things might pan out for Sherwood. I think Mantis's Di Canio comparison was better, although as he says that's not perfect either because of Di Canio's character.

I don't disagree that he did a decent job. I was just a saying I don't think how things ended for him at Sunderland should serve as a cautionary tale when contemplating how things might pan out for Sherwood. I think Mantis's Di Canio comparison was better, although as he says that's not perfect either because of Di Canio's character.

True. I was just trying to highlight that although Poyet came in at the beginning of the season, it was still effectively a 'firefighting' job from the start.

I don't think any comparisons are needed to make the case that Sherwood being a good solution in the imminent short-term still leaves his ability to kick on beyond that in question. Poyet is an example of a manager who wasn't able to do this.

• Like 2

TS came  in 7 months into the season and turned us around completly.Remenber under Lambert we broke every bad record in the book lowest wins,lowest points etc.On top of that other teams would come here and get their season going again ( ManUre under Moyes got their first win against us ) another team got their first away win in 5 away games against us etc etc etc.

Sherwood has come in and turned us around completely.Gabby and Benteke are scoring again and we see different players eg Bacuna who rarely started under Lambert,so it looks to me like he certainly knows what he is doing.  

TS came  in 7 months into the season and turned us around completly.Remenber under Lambert we broke every bad record in the book lowest wins,lowest points etc.On top of that other teams would come here and get their season going again ( ManUre under Moyes got their first win against us ) another team got their first away win in 5 away games against us etc etc etc.

Sherwood has come in and turned us around completely.Gabby and Benteke are scoring again and we see different players eg Bacuna who rarely started under Lambert,so it looks to me like he certainly knows what he is doing.  

Pretty sure Moyes won his first game in charge of Utd on first day of season against Swansea. Same day we beat Arsenal.

Tim is clearly doing a good job but the real test will be after a god awful run.

Not defending Lambert but his plan was clearly to stop conceding goals in the only (clearly) way he knew how, shut up shop.

Lets see what Tim does after game after game of losing and conceding goals god forbid it ever happens again, i doubt he will be jolly get at them still then.

Pretty sure Moyes won his first game in charge of Utd on first day of season against Swansea. Same day we beat Arsenal.

That could be correct, but a lot of teams were getting their first points of us,eg first away win first win in 5/6 games first point in 5 games etc.Im sure you get what I mean.

Lets see what Tim does after game after game of losing and conceding goals god forbid it ever happens again, i doubt he will be jolly get at them still then.

Sherwood out

• Like 1

Not defending Lambert but his plan was clearly to stop conceding goals in the only (clearly) way he knew how, shut up shop.

No idea why we are discussing Lambert here but, at the point he was sacked, only 5 clubs in the league had a worse goals against tally than Villa, so he wasn't so successful at that bit of the masterplan.

Â