The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

I don't get the praise he receives for being honest in his post game interviews. That won't make him a good football manager for the club. You could get a random fan from the crowd to be honest about the game he's just witnessed.

It might be refreshing but ultimately that alone isn't going to help us, maybe it'll help Sherwood get a career in the media should he fail as a Manager. I can't say I see any positives with him whatsoever, he's only just got here so could yet still put that right. I get the feeling that some are actively trying to find positives with him just for the sake of being positive.

Sherwood will sort us out, but it might take longer than expected. He has inherited a poor squad low in confidence.

Really hope youre right. I dont think he will inside the next 4 games because thats when we need to be sorted out else were relegated.

We've got 12 games left, not 4.

If its not turned round by the 4 then the other 8 wont matter.

Sorry, HA., don't understand this. What do you mean?

It might be refreshing but ultimately that alone isn't going to help us, maybe it'll help Sherwood get a career in the media should he fail as a Manager. I can't say I see any positives with him whatsoever, he's only just got here so could yet still put that right. I get the feeling that some are actively trying to find positives with him just for the sake of being positive.

It is going to help us. We dont know what Lambert said behind closed doors but him saying everything was ok in the media certainly put a downer on every Villa fan who was witnessing that it wasnt ok on the pitch and you could feel in the stands which does effect the players. 

Now Sherwood isnt picking on certain players and its good to hear that he dosnt think the performance was ok when we thought the same. However being able to see what we see is not enough he is paid to change it and thats what he will be judged on.

Another few performances like that and the whole of the fan base will be back to where we were but for now he has my backing not because of who he is but because he is new, we needed a change and I support Aston Villa and so should you!

• Like 2

I don't get the praise he receives for being honest in his post game interviews. That won't make him a good football manager for the club. You could get a random fan from the crowd to be honest about the game he's just witnessed.

It might not mean a great deal in the grand scheme of things but at least it is better than saying we played well when we didn't. It gives me comfort that Sherwood recognises when he have been shit and hasn't got blinkers on

• Like 2

It is going to help us. We dont know what Lambert said behind closed doors but him saying everything was ok in the media certainly put a downer on every Villa fan who was witnessing that it wasnt ok on the pitch and you could feel in the stands which does effect the players. 

Now Sherwood isnt picking on certain players and its good to hear that he dosnt think the performance was ok when we thought the same. However being able to see what we see is not enough he is paid to change it and thats what he will be judged on.

Another few performances like that and the whole of the fan base will be back to where we were but for now he has my backing not because of who he is but because he is new, we needed a change and I support Aston Villa and so should you!

That's a good point in the first paragraph providing the players respond, but ultimately I think he needs to be more than just an honest and positive person, otherwise anyone from any walk of life with those qualities could do the job.

He has my backing too, he's only just got here. And if he does fail the blame will be more on the people who hired him rather than Sherwood himself.

You're right.

But at this moment in time, in the situation we're in it's the only course of action to take imo, both to get behind the club and avoid depressing myself.

You're right.

But at this moment in time, in the situation we're in it's the only course of action to take imo, both to get behind the club and avoid depressing myself.

I was going to add that I don't think that that's a bad thing. It's what I've been trying to do myself.

I know we shouldn't keep talking about Lambert, but if I remember rightly you didn't see any problems with Lambert's interviewing technique so perhaps you don't understand how frustrating some us found it to see awful performances labelled as "great" over and over again. Being honest in interviews doesn't make him a good manager, but then I never said it did. It is, however, a pleasant change after the dishonest nonsense Lambert used to come out with.

And anyway, why do you have a problem with people saying one single positive thing about him? It's hardly effusive or unqualified praise, is it?

I know we shouldn't keep talking about Lambert, but if I remember rightly you didn't see any problems with Lambert's interviewing technique so perhaps you don't understand how frustrating some us found it to see awful performances labelled as "great" over and over again. Being honest in interviews doesn't make him a good manager, but then I never said it did. It is, however, a pleasant change after the dishonest nonsense Lambert used to come out with.

And anyway, why do you have a problem with people saying one single positive thing about him? It's hardly effusive or unqualified praise, is it?

I never once commented on Lambert's interviewing techniques. As I didn't think it mattered all that much and had minimal impact on his ability to Manage the club.

And I have no problem whatsoever with people being positive about him and as far as I'm aware haven't shot anyone down for praising him and wouldn't dare to either. In fact I'm one of the ones who jumped to his defence when people were calling him a 'prick' and the like, before he signed up.

I have had my reservations about him as a Manager and he did little to ease those yesterday but like I said already he only just got here, so has time to come good.

Edited by useless

Difficult job with the squad we have. I think he should play 5 in midfield, 4 from Delph, Sanchez, Cleverly, Westwood and Bacuna and one from either Hill or Sinclair and leave one up front, Benteke or Gabby. Sides seem to be picking up all the 50/50 balls and many of the 75/25 ones as well, we need to make it difficult for them.

I don't think were going to turn into a team who score more than a goal game, that to me means when we get in front we need to use Chelsea type tactics to keep it, ie waste time and disrupt the flow of the game, with injuries and other such negative tactics. I lost count of the time we rushed the play while we was 1 nil up, Guzan and a few others need to slow down and get the balance of distribution right, this is one area for me where Given has the edge on Guzan.

Edited by tinker

Played ok, then reverted to type after our goal. He needs time, though he does not have much of that, to instil belief in the players and get them playing how he wants them to; not that easy for them just to throw off the shackles and suddenly `do their thing'. Disappointing result, but I did suggest previously that if things did not go to plan we should remember that there is still some way to go and that there is a little bunch of teams still around us.

Think our players are overrated by us, but they are no worse than some of those teams around us. And those teams are digging in and showing fighting spirit beyond their perceived capabilities, and our players need to do the same. This is, I think, what Sherwood was bought for, his motivation of players.

• Like 3

It wouldn't be his fault and I wouldn't blame him even if we did get relegated. Not enough time imo to save this sinking ship in less than 4 months. If they had done this prior to the Jan transfer window then Sherwood and villa would have stood half a chance. Not now though imo. It's too late and we don't have belief or any fight amongst the squad. It's like trying to resuscitate a corpse. I don't envy Tim having to deal with this bunch.

If we did go down people would be hard pressed to blame Sherwood I think, although I suppose it's the manner in which we go down that would determine the response to him.

It wouldn't be his fault and I wouldn't blame him even if we did get relegated. Not enough time imo to save this sinking ship in less than 4 months. If they had done this prior to the Jan transfer window then Sherwood and villa would have stood half a chance. Not now though imo. It's too late and we don't have belief or any fight amongst the squad. It's like trying to resuscitate a corpse. I don't envy Tim having to deal with this bunch.

If we did go down people would be hard pressed to blame Sherwood I think, although I suppose it's the manner in which we go down that would determine the response to him.

Depends if he learns from his mistakes or not. Like he should know that Sanchez doesn't work in a central 2 and Weimann isn't a winger.

It wouldn't be his fault and I wouldn't blame him even if we did get relegated. Not enough time imo to save this sinking ship in less than 4 months. If they had done this prior to the Jan transfer window then Sherwood and villa would have stood half a chance. Not now though imo. It's too late and we don't have belief or any fight amongst the squad. It's like trying to resuscitate a corpse. I don't envy Tim having to deal with this bunch.If we did go down people would be hard pressed to blame Sherwood I think, although I suppose it's the manner in which we go down that would determine the response to him.

Depends if he learns from his mistakes or not. Like he should know that Sanchez doesn't work in a central 2 and Weimann isn't a winger.

But I don't think he has enough time to realise all the dynamics and intricacies of how our guys play together and we are so inconsistent in terms of what our best team is that by the time he will have sorted out formations, line ups, tactics etc... it will probably be too late for us anyway. I doubt anyone would be able to save us this season. I know it sound defeatist but I really do think our time has come. I really hope I'm wrong and we stay up if course but y'know....

Edited by Ingram85

Â