20 Years Since Kung Fu Cantona

turnbull

Too young.

I understand the Cantona legacy but to me I've always felt he was overrated. Good league player but international competitions he didn't do much.

In terms of international competitions, France failed to qualify for the World Cups in 90 and 94 and Cantona's time had passed when Euro 96 came round.. his place had gone to a young lad called Zidane. It was only Euro 92 he played in and he was poor, like the rest of the French team

European cup/Champions league?

His record for united in Europe is 7 goals in 21 games. Not too shabby. He was a better player than this thread makes out, would have looked even better in the united sides that followed had he not retired early, IMO of course.

Cantona was capable of moments of sheer brilliance bookended by acting like a clearing in the woods.

He was good yes, but could have been better and retired when he was in his prime.

I remember seeing him play in Fergie's testimonial. For the most part it was a who's who of world football and he absolutely bossed the game.

During the warm-up he stood 30 yards out, volleyed the ball against the crossbar which rebounded straight onto his chest, then he volleyed again against the crossbar, back on to his chest. Rinse and repeat 4 or 5 times without the ball hitting the ground.

I know a testimonial is hardly an accurate barometer but even the players on the pitch were stopping to applaud him at times. 

I think given the level of talent he had, he criminally underachieved during his shortened career but I'm glad I saw him play live on a number of occasions.

• Like 1

United fans always get moody when you say why did Cantona not play against Dortmund in 97  :D  his performance that tie forced him to retire 

good player not a great player and probably wouldnt get in top 25 premier league forwards for me

United fans always get moody when you say why did Cantona not play against Dortmund in 97  :D  his performance that tie forced him to retire 

good player not a great player and probably wouldnt get in top 25 premier league forwards for me

Not in your top 25 PL strikers? Don't make me chuckle!  :)

During the warm-up he stood 30 yards out, volleyed the ball against the crossbar which rebounded straight onto his chest, then he volleyed again against the crossbar, back on to his chest. Rinse and repeat 4 or 5 times without the ball hitting the ground.

ಠ_ಠ

Really? bar, chest, bar, chest, 5 times.

From 30 yards.....?

You'd have to absolutely smash it to get it to come back 30 yards without bouncing.

Edited by Genie

Not in your top 25 PL strikers? Don't make me chuckle!  :)

off top of my head he isnt better than Aguero, Owen, Fowler, Shearer, Henry, Rooney, Van Persie, Tevez, Bergkamp, Drogba, Zola, Anelka, Sheringham, Torres, Suarez

thats off top of my head im sure a few more i didnt mention

ಠ_ಠ

Really? bar, chest, bar, chest, 5 times.

From 30 yards.....?

You'd have to absolutely smash it to get it to come back 30 yards without bouncing.

Yup, that's pretty much my recollection. My memory is rotten these days so it might have been three or four times and it might have been closer than 30 yards but I know what I saw :)

When i think of Cantona I think of the 94 league cup final against ourselves in which the media hype over him and the emerging Giggs was gringeworthy , so it was nice to not only beat Man utd but both players in question were complete shite .

Anyone watch that programme on channel 4 "The Hotel"?

There was a family on it the other week, massive utd fans... from Derby.

The Dad (who wore a man utd shirt for 2 days solid including sleeping in it) named his twin boys Keane and Wes (brown). He had a daughter who wasn't on the holiday whose middle name was Cantona.

Personally, I think that's child abuse.

Â