Petitioning for change?

samjp26

The Villa Blog and a couple of other Blogs are trying to organise a protest where fans don't enter the ground for the first eight minutes of the Liverpool game. I myself think that's bad idea in a game we could do with something from.

I agree, fans protests might get to the players and affect their ability to score a goal.

I think doing anything that could make the moral of the players or their performances any worse than they already are is a monumentally shit idea. 

Lambert should be gone - no questions or arguments - but that doesn't mean we should actively work against the best interests of the team either. No team ever said "Well we knew we were getting a bollocking off the crowd so we pulled our socks up and stopped being shit" 

Apparently it's just the Holte End and not the whole stadium still think it's a bad idea though.

The Blogs involved are 'MOMS' 'avillafan' and 'The Villa Blog' not sure how much of a reach they have but doubt anything will come of it.

Edited by useless

Alright chaps, have to say I think it's not perfect but a good start. Suppose it depends on if you think as a supporter you can influence anything at the club - possibly not - but I imagine there's a lot of frustrated folks out there who would rather vent at Lerner than at their long suffering wife who has to pick up the pieces come 4.45pm on a Saturday. The misery after Leicester was still with me up until hearing about Gil signing but even that looks to have gone t*ts up.

But the 8 minute thing relies on pretty much everybody taking part.

It would be a huge message if it happened. But it won't. Not 3-4 days before the game.

It'll end up being a few hundred people not going in for kick off, and nobody even noticing.

• Like 1

Stevo - that is most probably what will happen. I think the Geordies embarrased themselves this season a bit with the anti Ashley/Pardew protest that came to very little. Be nice if someone comes in for Lambert ala Crystal Palace! All that said, if we keep failing to score and it is very possible we'll be in the relegation spots three games from now, then there may need to be some sort of protest and I wonder what idea it will be that would be agreed upon by most. I think baring our arses in unison, albeit a tad 'hows yer father' would be the best way to make that visual protest! The scots do it I understand....

It would be a huge message if it happened. But it won't. Not 3-4 days before the game.

It'll end up being a few hundred people not going in for kick off, and nobody even noticing.

This.

Already seeing many tweets and other posts saying "I'll be there for the full 90 mins."

Basically, all or nothing... or there's no point.

This.

Already seeing many tweets and other posts saying "I'll be there for the full 90 mins."

You're also relying on everybody being on board with the same message.

With something like ticket prices where these protests have happened before, everyone will buy into it.

I don't think, with the manager thing, that enough people would be on board with the overall message.

I know the vast majority on VT are against Lambert, but I doubt the whole Holte End is. At least not enough to mount this sort of protest.

This.

With something like ticket prices where these protests have happened before, everyone will buy into it.

I don't think, with the manager thing, that enough people would be on board with the overall message.

I know the vast majority on VT are against Lambert, but I doubt the whole Holte End is. At least not enough to mount this sort of protest.

Very true. Doesn't help that a number of Villa fans are spewing bull locks as well... "If you moan you're not a real supporter" "You're a plastic fan if you protest, you should get behind the team."

They seem to think it's acceptable for Villa to "go down fighting" and that we should all be happy about it :bang:

• Like 1

This.

Very true. Doesn't help that a number of Villa fans are spewing bull locks as well... "If you moan you're not a real supporter" "You're a plastic fan if you protest, you should get behind the team."

They seem to think it's acceptable for Villa to "go down fighting" and that we should all be happy about it :bang:

I think there are ways to go about it.

A mass protest like this i could get behind if I bought into the message as it would send out a message.

(i'm happy to see Lambert go but I'm not sure I feel strongly enough about it to protest at this point)

Petitions are crap, imo, and don't mean anything. It doesn't make you a plastic fan or anything if you take part in one, I just personally think it's crap way of sending a message, ultimately because it rarely does actually send a message. 

Not signing a petition doesn't mean you're happy to see us go down without a fight.

We probably are a bit screwed then as far as fan power goes - there probably isn't a consensus of message, a consensus of behaviour at a match or even the appetite to do something amongst a critical mass. Shame. I'll be getting my prayer mat out.

As some of you have already rightly said, showing up 8 minutes into the game could be detrimental to the performance and result and is a safety hazard, though I can understand the idea behind fellow fans wanting to try something...I think a better show of fan solidarity would be to watch the entire match, cheer on the lads, and then stay in the stadium for 8 minutes after kick off and then all leave together. During the 8 minutes fans could either hold up agreed upon signs and/ or hold up or shout out whatever the hell they want, BUT as posted also in this thread, Lerner already wants to sell, so 'Lerner Out' seems a bit pointless...

If you are going to protest you need:

1. Something that captures media attention

2. Something that the supporter base can get behind and gets over their apathy.  Majority will not want to get involved and that is not just Villa

3. Something that is clear and says what you want,  is not a confusing message so you have to decide the message.  you want change so what? what change? more money spent? the owner to go? the manager to go? benteke to wear the number 9 shirt? the half time queues to be dealt with quicker?  what is the nature of the change you need to be clear and precise

4. Your protest can not negatively influence the one thing you say you are in it for.  if it does that then forget it you are doomed.  Even if you do not think it does have a negative influence if someone says it does and enough people can believe that argument then forget it.  So you have to cover all angles and ensure it cant be said

5. Similar to 4 it cant impact safety,  if it does or can be said it does forget it

6, It would help if it was cheap and ideally no cot because once you start messing around with collections to fund it you are in a heap of shit

7. What next? So you cover off all that then what? what happens if your protest isnt listened to?  You have to make plans for that and what you do next

8. There are going to be fans that will not agree with this,  in fact vehemently disagree.  How do you deal with accusations of dividing the fan base?

So you want to petition?  I do not agree in the slightest and could cite any one of the 8 reasons above but they are the things you'll need to cover off.

One of the most effective ones at Villa were the £ signs and then not everyone got involved.

Edited by Richard
  • Like 1

Protesting in the stadium will only affect the players on the pitch. I'm all for change but the change needs to be from the top down. This club cannot and will not go forward under Lerner's reign and he clearly does not care whether we want Lambert here or not so for me protests should be aimed at Lerner and in a way that makes him sit up and take notice, Not in a way that affects the players.

I do get the frustration at the playing side of things, lately it has been appalling and only at the best of times acceptable but I do feel that a lot of the negative energy aimed at Lambert and the players really should be going the way of Lerner and not because of his lack of funding but because of his complete disregard for us.

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 1

Â