Goals (or lack of)

ermie123

What's with the obsession with shots on target and shots off target? There are plenty of shots off target that can be closer to being a goal than a shot on target.

The fact is that the players didn't hit the target often enough with their 14 shots and this is down to Lambert.  Obviously.

What's with the obsession with shots on target and shots off target? There are plenty of shots off target that can be closer to being a goal than a shot on target.

How can a shot off target be closer than being a goal? If its off target its never going to be a goal no matter how well it's hit.

How can a shot off target be closer than being a goal? If its off target its never going to be a goal no matter how well it's hit.

Hitting the post doesn't = on target.

Unless it hits the post or bar and goes in......

I suppose you could say a shot that just narrowly goes the other side of the post may be closer to being a goal than say, a mis-hit shot on target that goes straight to the keeper, but it's clutching at straws.

Either way, Lambert has to take some of the blame for all the shots off target. Yes, it's the players making the shots at the end of the day, but surely that just shows that we're not training particularly effectively in that area and we are lacking a good striking coach.

I'm sick of reading crap like 'it'll happen for us eventually if we keep playing as we are,' instead of 'Nope, we need to make some changes.' There's no harm in coming out and saying changes need to be made. At least it shows that he's not completely oblivious to the situation and he has a plan. Sadly, I think he is and he doesn't.

Edited by Ginko

While that's technically true, there are often shots which go just wide but clearly have the keeper beaten. Are you saying these kinds of shots somehow mean less than the tame "shots" that the keeper can comfortably collect?

Also, I think shots that hit the woodwork count as off target.

Why does he not just come out and say we have a problem with goals. I am fed up with hearing crap from him, I don't know how he has any loyalty from any fans when he is so full off *******s in interviews. Ok the goals will come, but he has no idea when??? Who the f***  has been coaching this team for 2 and a half seasons??????

I know you can't lamblast the players but sometimes he has to be loyal the fans and admit some of the 'goal scorers' are not performing and he will change this.

Edited by foreveryoung

When your relying on a 30 odd year old, injury prone joe cole to offer the only bit bit of guile, you really have gone to hell in a handcart.

Not sure I understand this. He hasn't played, which to me is another baffling decision.

Our problems in terms of creating chances and scoring goals sadly run way deeper than that.

....this

its a series of factors for me....there doesn't seem to be any joined up writing. It looks like there is little understanding or belief in each other. If it was on the stage, you would think there has been no choreography....If it was boxing you would say little ring craft

Edited by TRO

not holding out much hope for improved goal scoring. we only scored 39 last season (that was only 2 more than under mcleish).

when your goal scoring is poor for 1 and a half seasons, its unlikely to suddenly turn around.

and when it happens over such a long period, i think you need to start looking at the manager and his tactics, rather than it being unlucky, getting bad bounces etc.

• Like 1

I once heard an Interviewer ask Arsene Wenger if his strikers had found their shooting boots after a barren run.

He replied " teams score goals"

and I know exactly what he means.

we have too many players who play stop start football, are indecisive as to where to put a pass, players who are indecisive as to where to run, players who get caught with the ball too often....its a combination of things that come together to make you look clumsy and awkward.

if we are going to introduce possession football we need to play it where it hurts the opposition, not where it massages the stats in our own half.

• Like 1

I once heard an Interviewer ask Arsene Wenger if his strikers had found their shooting boots after a barren run.

we have too many players who play stop start football, are indecisive as to where to put a pass, players who are indecisive as to where to run, players who get caught with the ball too often....its a combination of things that come together to make you look clumsy and awkward.

if we are going to introduce possession football we need to play it where it hurts the opposition, not where it massages the stats in our own half.

Don't you think the team has been coached to make defending the main priority. I mean you can rave the defending has improved but definately the attack has suffered 10 fold.

Don't you think the team has been coached to make defending the main priority. I mean you can rave the defending has improved but definately the attack has suffered 10 fold.

its like i say a combination of things.

If you play snooker, and someone keeps playing you safe....when you eventually do get a decent shot on, you could miss, for trying too hard...it could be composure.

When i watch Villa i get an impression that they lack coaching, like i said in another post its like no choreography, they don't look slick, they don't run like thoroughbreds. To be fair i see this when we do muster goals or a win.

I find it quite hard to explain.....but the play don't look right to me.

most of the players are internationals, but we play like a division below at times.

Edited by TRO

I don't wanna drive the pro Lambert (whatever) guys insane. But I really do believe there is a coaching issue. I not sure its with the players disipline or Lamberts tactics.

What I do know is the squad now is the best we have had for a while, but is still tactically, massively underachieving. 

60-70% of our attacks go through the full backs Hutton and Cissokho, neither have the speed or ability to take on players or get in the type or at least frequency of crosses needed to create goals. Teams know this and mark them, Cissokho is forced into a cul-de-sac where he eventually has to pass backwards or run back on himself to avoid losing possession, Hutton does much the same.

If we are going to play possession football then we need actual wide midfielders/attackers. Look at what happened with Grealish, in just 10-15 minutes he was able to interact with Cissokho and get into the area.

Gabby's main strengths are speed and physicality, yet he and Zog never hug the line, neither stay wide. They aren't clever enough to get into the space needed to make any impact centrally so why don't they just stay wide and attack the flanks?

My issue is yes we lack creative midfielders but we don't set up the team in a way that makes use of what we have, we are not playing to our strengths anymore. Yes possession is better than hoof and hope but it seems to mean that Benteke see's less of the ball, our wing backs get marked out of the game, Gabby and Weimann are all over the place, in fact I have no idea where those two are meant to be playing anymore.

• Like 2

Sunderland - 14 shots - 3 on target

Swansea - 11 shots - 3 on target

Manure - 10 shots - 4 on target

West Brom - 7 shots - 2 on target

Leicester - 16 shots - 7 on target (lets not forget the two goals we did score were by defenders).

I appreciate shots on target is misleading as you can have a shot that goes inches wide that isn't seen as important as it wasn't 'on target' or a cross or pea roller that went direct to the keeper that is 'on target'.

Anyway - bottom line we probably need 15-20 shots to win a match based on our recent conversion rate,

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 1

Sunderland - 14 shots - 3 on target

Swanseas - 11 shots - 3 on target

Manure - 10 shots - 4 on target

West Brom - 7 shots - 2 on target

Leicester - 16 shots - 7 on target (lets not forget the two goals we did score were by defenders).

I appreciate shots on target is misleading as you can have a shot that goes inches wide or a cross or pea roller that went direct to the keeper that is counted as 'on target'.

Anyway - bottom line we probably need 15-20 shots to win a match based on our conversion rate,

Yup, If you throw enough shit… Some of it will stick!

Â