Goals (or lack of)

ermie123

There was a stat a while back , that Benteke either scored or created around 70% of our goals. Its not surprising then, that since implementing a system which give this guy less of the ball....guess what ? - the goals dried up....

Edited by smetrov

What's with the obsession with shots on target and shots off target? There are plenty of shots off target that can be closer to being a goal than a shot on target.

You can't score with an off target shot. You can with an on target one

• Like 1

If you're watching motd....just note how few goals come from slow sideways passing....

That's not an entirely accurate statement though. Keep possession with slow sideways passing and you'll tire the opposition. If the other team doesn't have the ball, they can't score. That's not the issue. You WANT your team to have slow sideways passing and lots of possession for great swathes of the match. Not only does it have the effect I mentioned earlier, but it puts the opposition in the frame of mind that you're not going to do much with the ball - the key thing is to be able to turn it on when you need to and switch from that slower possession game to a fast attacking one.

THAT'S how you use that style to cripple your opponents. They have no idea when you're going to flick the switch, which means they have to pressure all the time, which means they're absolutely shattered for the last 20 minutes and should be there for the taking

There's nothing wrong with holding the ball and doing little with it for long periods, you just have to be able to do something with it eventually

• Like 3

As a way of finding goals, would anyone be open to approaching Jermaine Defoe? Must be worth at least a handful of goals...

To be honest, I'd even go for Robbie Keane again it's that desperate

If you're watching motd....just note how few goals come from slow sideways passing....

That's not an entirely accurate statement though. Keep possession with slow sideways passing and you'll tire the opposition. If the other team doesn't have the ball, they can't score. That's not the issue. You WANT your team to have slow sideways passing and lots of possession for great swathes of the match. Not only does it have the effect I mentioned earlier, but it puts the opposition in the frame of mind that you're not going to do much with the ball - the key thing is to be able to turn it on when you need to and switch from that slower possession game to a fast attacking one.

THAT'S how you use that style to cripple your opponents. They have no idea when you're going to flick the switch, which means they have to pressure all the time, which means they're absolutely shattered for the last 20 minutes and should be there for the taking

There's nothing wrong with holding the ball and doing little with it for long periods, you just have to be able to do something with it eventually

Only the likes of Barcelona have showed the true way of playing this style. We will never play any where near that style, Southampton will be as close as it gets and with the team we have will take a few seasons yet!

OK - I will bow to youre superior knowledge. As a paying customer its woeful to watch - and I know a lot of people by where I sit feel the same.

If it starts to work and we do start to score late, supporters will begin to marvel at our ability to hold the ball, knowing the late surge is coming, instead of being dead bored knowing that we simply don't have any ideas.

Thats where I am at the moment.

But I admit to being fickle - if this systems starts to produce goals I will appluad and praise the system.....until then its very boring, and at the seasons end I won't be shelling out any more cash to watch it.

We need the ability to change gear and be effective when we do so.

It's great to not be shipping 3 goals every game, but we need to be dangerous when we go forward. At least dangerous enough that teams can't just park the bus and be safe in the knowledge that we'll never get through.

It's great to not be shipping 3 goals every game, but we need to be dangerous when we go forward. At least dangerous enough that teams can't just park the bus and be safe in the knowledge that we'll never get through.

But 18 0-0 draws = 40 points and safety!

#tactician :detect:

• Like 1

Only the very best teams can do that - it's a good aim but it's not a realistic expectation at this moment in time.

I'm not suggesting we play total football.

I'm just suggesting that we have the ability to go from a possession defensive game to a hyperattacking game very quickly and without notice.

Hold the ball to tire them out then throw just about everything forward when they aren't expecting it. We can't just have one style of play.

Passing the ball around in the middle will tire out their midfield and strikers, but their defense is just waiting there for us to do something. We need to worry those defenders in believing we could slingshot forward at any given time, and the best way to do that is to start slingshotting forward occasionally.

Â